• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Grabs

Proxford

Smash Rookie
After landing a grab at low or mid %, what direction do you throw in order to get the most damage? Intuitively it seems like maybe up throw on heavier characters and down throw on light ones. What combos do you guys use after the throw depending on DI?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Depends
Could get more grabs into a nair that leads to fair
Or more grabs to up smash to a fair or uair

B.W.

Smash Champion
Lighter characters you're usually SOL if they know how to DI D-throw. D-Throw used to be a chaingrab/combo throw, but now it's mostly a tech chase throw, save for certain circumstances (Pikmin that grabbed, character and damage based).

For the most part at low damage Up-Throw is your best friend. I don't really have a list I can give you right now, but faster fallers can be chaingrabbed with U-Throw.

You have to pay attention at what Pikmin got the grab. Blue and Purple Pikmin have different throw knockback than the other Pikmin. How much I don't know, I'm still working on getting all the data.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Down-throw is poop now. It used to be for low-percent combos, but now up-throw works just as well if not better in most situations (except tech chases, which has already been mentioned). If you're trying to get guaranteed followups at low percents, just go for up-throw. Pikmin doesn't matter at really low percents, even blues pop them up for a fair/uair followup.
Basically just up-throw always for maximum damage.

NALEXOS

Smash Rookie
nothing to do with grabs but just one comment what happened to Olimars pikmin he has less on 3.5 and well Olimars attacks mainly relies on pikmin with 4 hes not doing very well missing pikmin to do an attack after trowing them to other character and when doing up b they dont reach the edge of the stage i would like it if he had 6

B.W.

Smash Champion
PM Olimar has always had 4 Pikmin, rather than the 6 from Brawl. It's to limit how much he can spam Pikmin Throw (Side-B).

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
IMO it'd be better to have 6 Pikmin that die in one hit (except purples).

Bam, recovery problem solved (except not really), Pikmin throw being too good (which it ****ing isn't) problem solved.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Pikmin throw is really not that special unless its White or Purple.

Its stupid because the PMDT thinks it as one of his strengths because it makes people attack to get them off which let's them be punished but every character has a safe way to remove them anyway.

I wish they would all just be projectiles.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I agree. I would assume the lack of l canceling being the reason they were good in brawl, but in general non-purple pikmin throw just feels pretty bad in Project M.

B.W.

Smash Champion
That's because it is. If you're smart/lucky you can get a White Pikmin to do significant damage to an opponent, but the rest are kind of bad. People keep telling me "it's free damage" but it's not really free when
- It gets my Pikmin killed, thus making me lose some of my damage output and recovery
- You can easily hit them off before the first hitbox comes out
- You can't perform a combo and sneak a Pikmin in because that takes too much time and the opponent will be able to act if you do which makes you lose overall damage.

Literally the only way it does extra damage is if you stop a combo and throw a Pikmin on the opponent then successfully reset the combo before they can knock the Pikmin off, which is damn near impossible. And to make matters worse, the more damage the opponent has the less the Pikmin will hit them. I think once they're over around 80% the Pikmin will only hit them twice before falling off, or in White's case, before it explodes.

Also exploding White Pikmin sucks because that's our real damage output right now, and if the Pikmin manages to explode it's usually because we managed to combo the opponent while White was hitting them. So to stop it from exploding we have to purposely drop our combo to whistle the Pikmin back. And to make that scenario even more ridiculous, we have to memorize exactly how soon it's going to explode thanks to its "fuse" being shorter if we throw it at a high damage opponent and Olimar doesn't really start to secure kills before 100% or so, unless the opponent is easily gimped.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
How would giving them an initial hit with knockback and lessening their potential damage output do? So if I throw a pikmin, when it attaches it attacks once with knockback, it continues with its normal latch stuff (obviously changed to be less effective on latch). Maybe only some of them with this? Keep whites the same, purples are fine, give yellows this (?), give reds something else?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've had a few ideas to make Side-B better, but lord knows Olimar ideas haven't been listened to in the past save for the light thing.

Top Bottom