• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar grab game.

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
I'd like to take some time to discuss olimar's grab game.

Any color specific traits? Different ranges, damage, kill potential? I generally latch picking then grab so I can let them do there thing and rack up damage but are there any reliable combos after throw? I generally up or down throw leading into a uair, or fair.

Discuss.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Yellow, Red, and White Pikmin have low knockback on throws generally, so they have better combo potential. Blue Kills and Purple can kill at high percents. If you can get a flowered White Pikmin with a grab and pummel, then thats ideal at medium percents. Often, you can back throw or forward throw and toss a Pikmin on them. I think Up throw can combo into an Up Smash where you can follow up a few Up airs. Dash Dancing is probably your best option for getting the grabs to happen when you get to fight better people.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
If you can get a grab at 0% you should be able to chain 2 d/upthrows into an upsmsh. If you have a purple you should try to have that upsmash at the end.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Are there any characters that cannot just completely DI away from D-throw at low-mid percents?

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Are there any characters that cannot just completely DI away from D-throw at low-mid percents?
Yeah, I'm kinda with you. I'm usually able to get off a fair but no Up Smash. I also generally have a hard time with connecting up smash. People say I can Up Smash out of shield but I cant figure out how.

.fube

Smash Cadet
People say I can Up Smash out of shield but I cant figure out how.
It is easiest with tap jump on. Just hit up on the left stick and c-stick at the same time. It is like using up-b OoS but you input up on the c-stick instead of b.

U-throw to u-smash is definitely better than d-throw to u-smash at low percents against most characters. If they DI away against d-throw, then you can either get some pikmin on them or try to regrab. If they dont DI away, you can u-smash or potentially u-tilt > u-smash/n-air > f-air or something along those lines. Either way, you can generally keep up pressure.

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
If they DI away from either up-throw or d-throw, is fair the only thing that is guaranteed? It's pretty easy for opponents just to hold left or right away from Olimar when he gets a grab, and it's frustrating to not get any follow ups at low percents when this happens.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If they DI away from either up-throw or d-throw, is fair the only thing that is guaranteed? It's pretty easy for opponents just to hold left or right away from Olimar when he gets a grab, and it's frustrating to not get any follow ups at low percents when this happens.
If they Di away, you can side b (purple) and regrab or do some jabs
You could also nair>utilts>usmash
He has some options, just gotta mess around.

NiPPs

Smash Cadet
also starting from late mid -semi high percents, if you grab with a white pikmin and d-throw, im almost positive you're guaranteed a fair for the kill/gimp/edgeguard. when versing spacies though im not sure what grab is the best option at low percents. i usually go for the general consensus of up throw then proceed with a dd grab or charged downsmash for the tech read. the usually catch on after the second time i do this though. whats the best throw against spacies at lowish percents?

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
With the stronger pikmin, mainly purple and blue, is there a throw that will kill enemies that are above 110%?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I find someone every week that doesn't know it. And it works on a ton of characters.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Details? Like who does it work on and what throw is the chain?
Down and upthrow cg dthrow goes longer than uthrow but doing it along side dthrow is decent because of the Di mixup uthrow only works on low percents
Everyone I've played against, it worked on.
Some of the people I remember it working on are G&W, gano, I think wario, spacies, fat people etc
Pretty much everyone.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Sometimes you have to start with up throw to start the chaingrab.

Also its easier to dash grab usually because it's faster.

Top Bottom