• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Gimping Mindgame

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
*This guide has been created for For Glory level newcomers. Do not get mad at me for stating the obvious for you competitive-level players. This has also not been tested in competitive play.

I have figured out one of the best ways to gimp your opponent with little to no danger. This can only work on characters with low range/low power air attacks or bad recoveries. (Like for instance, use it against Little Mac but never Villager). Also, don't try it against Mario. That Fair can easily meteor you if you screw up.

If you get your opponent offstage and you are planning to gimp, jump toward them. Get in range so you can hit them with Fair or Bair, but instead of attacking, go back the way you came. Biggest chance, they will attempt an air dodge or fair before realizing their mistake. After they run out of invincibility frames/hitbox frames it will be easy to hit them during cooldown by using your c-stick or other joystick. Against Little Mac I sometimes just land back without attacking while he realizes he should have recovered while falling to his inevitable death. In fact, that is the most unexpected way to kill someone in the game for Mac's case.

Even better, if you want to just create pressure, jumping off the stage above your opponent but getting out of the way far enough out of range can trick characters into attempting to up-b you. Punish them during their helpless state. This works on those with short range up-b attacks.

Any flaws in my plan? Please feel free to tell me. I would hate to give out bad strategy to newcomers. (Speaking of bad strategy to newcomers, who the heck started the spam-rolling fad anyways?)

If possible, someone with a game recorder should please explain what I am saying with a video. That would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I think this is a good strategy for newcomers. As you state, there are some few characters that works well but other that are potential suicide.
What I would say as a suggestion, is to list characters which works well and the ones who doesn't.
Good job :).

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
I think this is a good strategy for newcomers. As you state, there are some few characters that works well but other that are potential suicide.
What I would say as a suggestion, is to list characters which works well and the ones who doesn't.
Good job :).
I think most of us can use our best judgement.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Maybe so... To be honest, I just can't think of going over all 50-something characters. I am sorry about that.
I have cost myself about 15% of my For Glory win/loss average in testing different strategies already and I just cannot get myself to go any lower intentionally. I have gotten better while looking worse at the same time, but no one wants to play on With Friends with a guy who calls himself a near-competitive player with an average that says otherwise.

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
If you say that, then I'm not quite sure if you really pretended to be for newcomers.
Well, the general rule is, any character with an extreme trait should be thought about more. They can sometimes partially represent lesser extreme characters. Jiggs, for instance, has tons of jumps and a great air game. Despite having both of those things she also has an exploitable weakness. It is her lack of an up special that recovers that makes her a target for gimping. If you can gimp her after she jumps she will not be able to use that jump again until she gets back on stage. Rollout also makes Jiggs unable to use any moves until she hits the ground if she hits a Pikmin as well, so rollout recoveries are punishable.Hit her until she runs out. Other characters though can use their up special again to recover even after using their extra jump/s. When you plan to do this I suggest using any Pikmin except white and blue. Yellows are not powerhouses but they do have the increased hitbox to keep you safer.

A very small amount of characters can lose their recovery because of a Pikmin screwing up their recovery move and putting them in helpless because of their move stopping after hitting a character, Luma, or Pikmin. If a Pikmin is on Ike or Charizard, they will not go very far and die with no ability to do anything else afterward. You can also throw a Pikmin into Ness's PK Thunder to stop it as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom