• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar/Alph... The Anti-Camper?

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
So, with my hands on the Wii U version, for me at least, things were a lot different. Being able to intricately see the stage and characters, better controls etc. it all makes a huge difference. Most of all though, With Olimar/Alph You can actually SEE what they're doing. (I include Alph, because oddly enough, I win more as Alph!).

Now, on the 3DS, I struggled with campers. My go to character was Sonic or Kirby, so obviously Campers were some really tough MUs. But one thing I've noticed while playing on the Wii U as Olimar/Alph, I absolutely DESTROY campers like T+Link or Megaman; they cant compete with the Pikmin Latch, ESPECIALLY if theres a white Pikmin involved. It constantly does damage, can nullify their projectiles in mid air (Or sometimes before it even launches, the Pikmin ON them can get in the way of it firing!).

It forces them to approach me and with the ability to actually see what Olimar/Alph is doing/where the pikmin are going, it makes it so much easier to space properly. Pikmin Smash Attacks come out so fast and their range can be very surprising at times. Not to mention Olimar/Alphs Aerials are not to be trifled with. They will mess you up; That great approaching Fair, or a Bair or Dair off-stage is just superb. Combined with long range grab that can be combo'd into Nair/Uair/Utilt and pikmin latching on and doing damage, Olimar/Alph is fricken deadly after 1.0.4/Wii U version.

So I've been destroying campers with these great tools. Some match ups that I've still had trouble with are ones like Bowser or Yoshi. They both have such strong attacks (particularly their aerials) they out prioritize my Pikmin at every turn my only choice is to keep latching them, blocking, throwing, and trying to catch them off guard. You just cant go head to head with them cause you'll lose every attack exchange. Other than that though, man is it lots of fun.... Has everyone else been having a good experience with the two in 1.0.4/Wii U?

Last edited:

Legend28469

Smash Cadet
NNID
Legend28469
I'm right with you. You just can't out camp Olimar. What I like to do is to throw a white pikmin and run and 1 of 3 things happen

1) They attempt to destroy it since it racks up so much damage and at that point you punish with a grab preferably

2) They chase after you just trying to tank their way through. At that point you can grab (pivot grab is most effective or shield grab) or you can run) I usually go off the ledge and whistle back the white pikmin then throw him again usually with a purple to ensure safe landing.

3) They just block and at that point I usually throw one more pikmin and keep one on me in case they approach.

Finally against other spacers I just make my pikmin throws count and can clash with their projectiles since we can pull pikmin just as fast as they're destroyed.

You can see my playstyle in the video thread.

P.S. Yoshi gives me a hard time but I have no problems with Bowser as I grab a lot and use pikmin throw so I can keep my moves fresh for KO

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
So I'd mentioned this in my first post, but I just had a match where it was very noticeable, the Latched Pikmins ability to absorb your enemies projectiles.

This had happened before with Samus' missiles in a match, but this time it was against Robin. I had a Red Pikmin latched to him and he started spamming Arc-Fire; every single Arc-Fire went straight to the Red Pikmin Latched onto him. He spent his entire book and the projectile never left his body, rendering it completely useless.

The fact that certain Pikmin can shut down projectiles like that... so freaking epic.

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
For me on the 3DS, walling out Yoshi with fsmashes works wonders. A well timed fsmash can stop any rushes on the ground with the improved range. The only thing you'd probably need to look out for is Yoshi's aerial approaches such as dair. I can only assume it's the same for Wii U

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
So I'd mentioned this in my first post, but I just had a match where it was very noticeable, the Latched Pikmins ability to absorb your enemies projectiles.

This had happened before with Samus' missiles in a match, but this time it was against Robin. I had a Red Pikmin latched to him and he started spamming Arc-Fire; every single Arc-Fire went straight to the Red Pikmin Latched onto him. He spent his entire book and the projectile never left his body, rendering it completely useless.

The fact that certain Pikmin can shut down projectiles like that... so freaking epic.
Now I don't remember if the Levin Sword counts as lightning, or physical. Not that a Yellow would block it, but it would survive if it was lightning type.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Now I don't remember if the Levin Sword counts as lightning, or physical. Not that a Yellow would block it, but it would survive if it was lightning type.
Any attack with the Levin Sword is lightning-based, which is any Smash attack made on the ground or in the air. The bronze sword is physical, and it's used for tilts, Nair, and Smash attacks when the Levin Sword is used up.

Top Bottom