• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar/Alph Mix-ups: Practical Jab-Lock Setups

ScherzoGavotte

Smash Rookie
TL;DR: OoS Bair --> Jab 1 Lock, Falling Purple toss --> Jab1 Lock, and more. SEE GFYS INCLUDED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Olis/Alphs! Today I'm bringing you some practical jab lock set-ups with Olimar. Some set-ups are hard to get unless you have the right conditions (stages with platforms, low percents, etc.), but these I will present here are a bit more flexible/attainable in regular battle settings. Note that all of these approaches will begin at percents at which your opponent enters tumble animation, so you can reference this google doc for Mario at least.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__OoS Bair to Jab 1

First off is OoS Bair. A common situation we can all find ourselves in is a pursuing or attacking opponent. Naturally, an option is to shield his attack, but what then? I propose that OoS Bair is super sweet in this situation at low to mid percents, depending on what pikmin you've got. To properly get a jab-lock here's what you do:

In Shield --> Jump and immediately Bair while following you foe --> Turn around and take a step--> Jab 1

Caveats to this set-up:

• The Bair is techable, but at low percents your opponent is less likely to react.
  • At higher percents, your opponents will start traveling too far from you to get close enough with Jab 1.
  • Jab 1 HAS to be close to your opponent. Too far away and they will get up.
  • Jab 1 has a long FAF, so you must be patient in pulling out your next punish or you will just end up doing Jab 2.

__Falling Purple Toss to Jab 1

Next up is a set-up you can get off an evasive maneuver. We can't get much off of airdodges without eating endlag on our aerials, but we CAN toss our pikmin. You can capitalize on our already super awesome Purple tosses if you end up close enough to your opponent. Here's the gist of it:

Jump and Airdodge close to your opponent --> Side-B before landing --> Run towards your opponent --> Stop --> Jab 1

Caveats to this set up:

• Opponent can tech, but very short window.
  • If you don't stop your momentum prior to the Jab 1, you will Dash-attack instead.
  • I tried this with Jump + Immediate toss, but Olimar's air speed/gravity doesn't allow you to come down fast or close enough to get the Jab 1 lock.

__Purple D-Smash Lock???

This one is just for kicks and giggles, because I cannot yet imagine a practical setup for this. The FAR hit box of purple D-Smash can lock/trip.

That's all I got today. I hope this post is useful! I believe Olimar still has LOTS of potential that's still unexplored, and we're fishing it out bit by bit.

As always my fellow captains, keep on plucking.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thank you so much for this, seriously. You have given me even more motivation to keep going with our pal Oli.
Thank you :3

ScherzoGavotte

Smash Rookie
<3 The more motivated Oli players and labbers we have, the better we will all become. Thank you as well for your passion. :)

Top Bottom