• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oldest recorded competitive melee?

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
what is the oldest recorded competitive melee? i tried looking up tournament go 4, which i assumed would be one of the oldest, but couldn't find anything.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The first Melee tournament results were recorded on stone tablets hidden in the deserts of Egypt.

Dino Domain

Smash Rookie
There were DVDs made for the Tournament Gos from the very beginning I believe. Recipherus said on reddit that he had a copy but it was somewhere in his house. Other copies might be still around too. As for TG4 Ken has a copy and he was streaming the GF match on twitch, hopefully he'll eventually upload the whole thing for the lulz.

This playlist is apparently of some Nintendo tournament held in December 2001.

Last edited:

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
There were DVDs made for the Tournament Gos from the very beginning I believe. Recipherus said on reddit that he had a copy but it was somewhere in his house. Other copies might be still around too. As for TG4 Ken has a copy and he was streaming the GF match on twitch, hopefully he'll eventually upload the whole thing for the lulz.

that can't be from 2001. in the first video, the game was booted up on a wii

Dino Domain

Smash Rookie
It looks like it was a promotional GC disc containing those videos that was being played on the Wii in 2013. I'm still willing to believe this guy when he said it was made in 2001.

yo dawg was you there? you acting like you remember it so im axing.
That's just the description Azen put the video lol

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
that can't be from 2001. in the first video, the game was booted up on a wii
Please don't ever become a detective, or any job that requires attention to detail there bud :facepalm:

That early Japanese tournament was interesting to see, I never knew it existed. Honestly the very early tournaments were pretty bad, as in casual bad. They basically just looked like a group of friends playing and there were unfair rules, unfair stages, items, free-for-alls, etc. Not even until like 4th or 5th installment of Tournament Go did they finally start getting to a rule-set that resembled what we have today.

twopercent

Smash Cadet
Please don't ever become a detective, or any job that requires attention to detail there bud :facepalm:
lmao ouch

i remember there being smash bros events like 9 years ago where i live, and i live in butt-**** nowhere land.

i wouldn't think it to be unlikely that there wasn't competitive melee of some kind in the first year it was out, since people probably got the idea from ssb 64 that it could be played quite competitively.. it was probably pretty unrefined though.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet

That early Japanese tournament was interesting to see, I never knew it existed. Honestly the very early tournaments were pretty bad, as in casual bad. They basically just looked like a group of friends playing and there were unfair rules, unfair stages, items, free-for-alls, etc. Not even until like 4th or 5th installment of Tournament Go did they finally start getting to a rule-set that resembled what we have today.
/s

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
is there any other information on that 2001 tournament? it's interesting, how they had the video on a gamecube disc. could have been some kind of promotional thing by the looks of it

Zepy

Smash Rookie

This is a really late response but this match as stated above is currently uploaded at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLHiJ8iYiU

This is also another money match between Ken and Sam that apparently took place either during or before TG 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-5c8fYshY

Top Bottom