• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

old Zelda new to competitive Melee

skid_marq

Smash Rookie
Hello Zeldas! Long-time Melee player, but I've only gotten into competitive Melee a couple months ago. I've always known that Zelda was considered low-tier in tournaments, but at this point she's definitely my best character. I've been going to this bi-weekly local tournament to spectate, but of course, I ended up playing some friendlies. I eventually started to dominate what became "the low-tier TV" with like an 8-game winning streak. A Roy player broke it . . .

But nevertheless, this gave me a lot of confidence in my Zelda. So I decided to enter the next tournament going with Zelda all the way. I think I did pretty well for a first tournament! My tournament win-loss record is (2-2) as of right now, and I can't wait to enter again. I actually lurked through this Zelda forums before the tournament and learned a lot from you. Thanks guys!

My motivations for playing this game competitively are kind of different though. I'm considering my age (26), and I kind of think I'm too old to become "the best." Considering past history of games like Chess and Street Fighter, most of the greatest players start when they're young and peak at around 21 or something. This is by no means a john or anything, but rather to prove certain points.

I'm more familiar with the competitive Street Fighter scene, and there doesn't seem to be as much tier elitism as there is in the Melee community. I'm sure you Zelda players know all about this. Maybe this is because Capcom actually designs their games to be balanced competitively. I have a hypothesis though that there just aren't enough low-tier mains to progress the game in this manner. In Street Fighter, the tier lists are in a constant flux of re-writing, and I want to see more of this in competitive Melee. And in this regard, I honor you dedicated Zelda mains.

That said, I'm more interested in maining Zelda with the mindset of a scientist, as opposed to a champion. At the same time, I do care about bettering myself as a Melee player. Part of me does fantasize about winning a tournament with Zelda, but I'm not stubborn enough to not counterpick a character if I have to. I know on paper that Zelda doesn't have many favorable matchups, but I have to personally play these matchups in tournaments for me to REALLY find out. I've been working on some secondaries that aren't slow characters. I want to enjoy this game in as many ways as possible, so I've been working on a Falco and a Sheik. I've found that learning how to play as characters helps a lot in learning how to play against them.

This brings me to my second hypothesis: Zelda and Sheik are the same character. I know it sounds crazy. But I think there might be something to the concept of the in-game counterpick. Also mindgames. I am starting to feel that the only reason I win certain matchups is because my opponent has no idea what to do against Zelda. I have no problem doing this if I eventually become a Sheik main or something.

Anyways, that's me. I probably have more to say but this is already a long post, I'll post more later, kbye

yttik

Welcome to Smashboards!

I try to switch my Zelda to Sheik all the time. It's kind of demotivating though when I realise how much better my Sheik is doing. I usually transform while stalling with either character, it can definitely throw people off guard if you suddenly change to a top tier character after they were thinking you mained only Zelda, or perhaps throw them into complete matchup unfamiliarity.

Maybe, if people refine the in-game counterpick thing, Zelsheik can become something other character mains actually consider when talking about matchups. I dunno, I can dream.

skid_marq

Smash Rookie
Thanks kitty! Yeah, I've been known to transfrom into Sheik and back to Zelda as a taunt. I've been busting out my Sheik in friendlies though. Starting to see why people say Sheik's so easy to use...

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
I've been working on my Sheik lately, im thinking about using down b dependent on the opposing players current style. If they are overly aggressive and committing ill use Zelda, since she's my real main and i can get better punishes and edgeguards. If they start playing more defensive or campy, or just learn the matchup thus making it unwinnable, i switch to Sheik. Sheik is much better suited for the campy players than Zelda, who has absolutely no approach options against that type of play.

Top Bottom