• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old Upsmash back as uptilt or else?! Poll/Discussion

Do we want Old Upsmash back or no?

• Yes, screw Ike's up-smash.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, but get rid of Volcano Kick instead!

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Yes, but combine it with Volcano kick!

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes, but have Ike's upsmash be the utilt instead!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No, that ship has unfortunately sailed...

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Over the past month I've seen this discussion pop up way too often on threads, that had hardly anything to do with this sort of topic and the responses and opinions were rather mixed as a result. So I thought; why not just make a covenient poll/thread to see and find out , what people truly think and wish/prefer?

Please try to stay on topic though and not mention stuff like warlock punch or Deadman's volley, if possible.
I have to mention as well, that this is my first thread, so if there is any problem or constructive criticism, please let me know.
Edit/Note:
Since a few people apparently haven't noticed,( at least when comparing the number of people voting and the votes cast)
you can( but ofc don't have to) cast 2 votes and also change your vote at any time, just thought I would let you all know :)

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
For those who are wondering what "combining it with volcano kick" means, there were a few people who suggested to make the U-smash kick simply part of the good'ol Volcano kick, but it functioning like this:

When you simply tap A while tapping Up, you execute a quick and weaker but faster upward U-Smash kick like a normal Tilt. But if you keep pressing/holding A after tapping up, you'll charge up Volcano kick, as though it were a smash-attack.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As long as his Sword-based U-Smash is still good in it's own right, I'll be fine. And keeping the old U-Smash's attributes while still merely transferring it to the role of a U-Tilt doesn't sound very well balanced.

A sort of combination with Volcano Kick could be nice, however. I just want Volcano Kick itself, as awesome as it looks, to become more viable through some method.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
As long as his Sword-based U-Smash is still good in it's own right, I'll be fine. And keeping the old U-Smash's attributes while still merely transferring it to the role of a U-Tilt doesn't sound very well balanced.

A sort of combination with Volcano Kick could be nice, however. I just want Volcano Kick itself, as awesome as it looks, to become more viable through some method.
Yeah i'll agree with giving the new up Smash a Chance. As for how old upsmash should work as an utilt, here's how i pictured it.

First of all, originally my idea was just to replace Volcano kick due to it's NEAR useless properties, my first idea instead of old upsmash was something more akin to Mario or ryu's uptilt, so a very fast Uppercut. ( just like he did in Wind waker to link, before he took his triforce)

But instead of a damage racking move that comboes into itself many times, I would have liked it to send opponents into a tumble (maybe with electrical effect like his jab perhabs?) at an angle that gurantees at least one airial besides dair. I would have given it a Startup of 4 and ending at 8-9 (possibly) which would have made baiting still possible and also made for a nice oos Option? i'm not sure on damge but 7 sounds reasonable under this Terms and range wise I would have made it slightly bigger than his grab hit box or just the same as Ryu or Mario's utilt.

When I shared this idea a few People agreed, but replied, that they would rather have old up-smash return, so i was like: yeah y not, could just as well have the usmash kick fulfill the same role, if people miss it so much. So no, I don't think anyone ever suggested having usmash just turned into a faster utilt without balancing for damage and so on. Just have it work as a functionial even faster but ofc weaker antiair but also give it Combo potential and still retain it's bait potential by having virtually no endlag( which is the only property people really cared about).

Last edited:

I Like Link

Smash Rookie
I actually prefer his new up smash over the old one because of its better hitbox. His Smash 4 up smash has amazing end lag but that doesn't fix it's really slow start up and bad horizontal range. But of course I'd take anything over volcano kick, as badass as it is.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I think his old up smash startup was very similar to this one if not faster. New one is cooler buy I would take old upsmash in any day. Hitbox was still very okay too. It was in top 5 of smash attacks of wii u I guess.

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I think his old up smash startup was very similar to this one if not faster. New one is cooler buy I would take old upsmash in any day. Hitbox was still very okay too. It was in top 5 of smash attacks of wii u I guess.
The new one's actually a few frames faster than the old one( just look for Almand's move analysis thread or ssb wiki), damage is about the same but the sweet spot( or the early hit box) will most likely be a lot easier to land, and also has far more range and hits behind Ganon as well!

Really the only reason people are gonna miss the move, was it's near non existant endlag and consequently bait and punish ability and generally being a very save move to throw due to it's "end lag" and shield stun. Which is why I would just incorporate but ofc balance it's properties to replace the current and long overdue Volcano kick, but I've already gone into more extensive detail in a post above.

Funnily enough a lot of people, who don't play ganon but had slight problems facing him, are glad that such a "cheap" move is gone, which I find pretty ironic as I would at best call it a saving grace for Ganon. But then you take pretty viable characters and consider them having access to moves such as Witch time, Cloud's airials, Corrin's pin, Rosalina's Luma, Shulk's counter and so on and wonder how Smash 4 is considered to be a pretty balanced game....... >_>

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
For those who are wondering what "combining it with volcano kick" means, there were a few people who suggested to make the U-smash kick simply part of the good'ol Volcano kick, but it functioning like this:

When you simply tap A while tapping Up, you execute a quick and weaker but faster upward U-Smash kick like a normal Tilt. But if you keep pressing/holding A after tapping up, you'll charge up Volcano kick, as though it were a smash-attack.
I agree with the "uncharged" thing, but I think that just keeping the crescent kick animation would be fine.

Top Bottom