• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old Smash Vet seeking advice

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
Alright, I've played Smash since day one, and all the while I've been a Fox main. I would sometimes play Mario on the side, just for kicks, but I never went hard with him.

I've decided today I wanted to get really skilled with Mario, and you know, actually stand a chance online. Keeping in mind, I've used him since day one, and know how to work most of his moves, what kind of things should I be looking to do with the Hero of Mushroom Kingdom?

I think I recall seeing how you could recover with Mario's cape some how. Not really sure how to do it though, seeing as I never took him for real.

Daichi

Smash Cadet
I'm a mario main. pretty experienced so i think i can be of some help.

For mario's approach, i find it effective to short hop fireballs while running in, and sex kick into downsmash if the last one i fire(the one that would hit just as i get close enough) hits. The fireball provides some good stun and an opportunity to get in a quick aerial. fastfall the sex kick(Nair) and go into a downsmash as soon as possible, as this is mario's fastest smash attack. At low percentages, short hopped aerials, except his f-air, are very useful.

As for finishers... Well mario's best finisher is his fsmash, but that can be a bit tricky to sweetspot. All his smashes can KO at high percentages. And dont forget, in brawl his f-air is actually a useable off-edge spike.

Edgegaurding's pretty useful for mario. Basically, you want to go with back-airs. They come out fast with good knockback. The cape is also useful, albeit situational, as it completely turns the oponent around. So, against, say, fox, if you cape his illusion or firefox, he'll turn and be move away from the stage. Mario's front air works as a spike, so if you think you can hit it, go for it. Other than that, edgehogging is also good.

Mario's recovery isnt too hard to do. He lost his tornado for recovery purposes in the melee/brawl switch, but i don't think its so bad really. For mario's recovery, You cape or double jump in any order, then up b to get the ledge if it isnt being hogged. Otherwise shoot high and get directly on the stage. I did have one instance, where i was very far away and had a full charged fludd. I caped AWAY from the stage and fired fludd, which pushed me towards the stage some, and then was able to recover. not sure how practical this is though, i havent tested it much. Other than these things, keep in mind that mario CAN walljump, it's useful, though situational.

Combos... well they're much harder in brawl, but i find grab->Dthrow->Usmash to work pretty well. I also find all of his aerials besides his fair to be useful when trying to combo, particularly the nair and uair. Mario's utilt is a good juggler, and he can decently use the wall of pain.

I hope im not forgetting anything, but besides the above its the same as most characters. Sheildgrab works wonders if you use it right, good spacing is key, and teching is always a good skill to have. If i forgot anything let me know and ill be happy to clear it up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's non-sweetspotted F-smash only takes exactly 10% more to kill with. I've tested it on FD against a training mode Mario. Basically, this means don't worry about sweetspotting it at all. Just hit with it and you're good. Uncharged it kills at 109% and 119%. Fully charged, it kills at 69% and 79%.

Use the U-smash and U-tilt. They are mad good in Brawl. U-smash has a ton of range and priority, and is super fast. U-tilt is even faster and can juggle.

Fireballs are soooo much better in Brawl. You can follow them easily, spam them faster, and use them more to protect yourself from ledgeguarding. Fireballs are GOOD.

Use both the FLUDD and Cape to ledgeguard. The FLUDD pushes people up and away, making people easier to hit, and the Cape pushes people away from the ledge and reverses their orientation (meaning if you Cape Fox while he's charging his Up-B to the left, he will fire to the right).

Mario Tornado is a GOOD aerial attack. NO LAG. Multiple hits, last one has good vertical knockback. Great approach.

N-air can set up combos. M2K covers this somewhere in this forum.

B-air is good. More range, and it pulls Mario backwards by a bit.

Ledgeguard with the F-air. You won't regret it. Don't approach with the F-air. You WILL regret it.

Lastly, Mario's grab range sucks.

Top Bottom