• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old-School Opponents ~ Game and Watches Match Up Thread

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Just like G&W will be mixing up his options to counter those as well. It doesn't mean we'll be grounded, shield, spotdodging, or crouching. He can dash attack and bair at Falcon and stay relatively mobile to discourage approaches with his other options from him. And as soon as you get an opening in neutral, it leads into great damage and juggling chances. I wouldn't see it as being too advantageous for Falcon.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
yes, that obviously works against the average mindlessly aggressive Falcon (AKA 95% of Falcon players). But then what happens when Falcon's someday come to the realization that they're not playing melee and they

1. Dash, then shield the move you're throwing out and then grab you regardless of what move you threw out because lol Falcon dash grab
2. Empty dash to bait you into using a move, and then punish you regardless of what move you did because lol Falcon dash grab

just because me, you, and everyone else are having an easy time punishing mindless Falcons that are being carried by his ridiculous dash grab does not mean the MU is in our favour

Last edited:

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
If it's obvious that he's going to just bait you into doing something just to grab you, if runs up to you and shields, you can just grab him and damage him a lot. Once he's up in the air, he's in a bad spot against G&W. And if he's dashing to bait something, you can just empty hop and see if he does anything. If he tries to grab you still (as they will because Falcons love that move) you can fastfall and then crouch it.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Any chance to do a toon link discussion? Keep getting back thrown, up tilt to up air killed at 80, and the BOMBS

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
if TL is brash enough to spam bombs at your, do NOT be afraid to bucket that shiz.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I have a full bucket I choke and miss :/ makes me soo mad lol and when I land the grab sometimes they jump instantly over the oil, I've had samus do that to me also even when I jump

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
i whiff a lot of my full buckets, but i have the most luck landing them by reading my opponent's rolls or approaches. honestly, if they're dumb enough to spam bombs at you, they're most likely going to spam rolls as well. it also helps a lot to wait a while after you fill it up - you'll either psyche your opponent out by making them paranoid, or they'll eventually stop being careful.

here's a video of GimR playing against a terrible toon link that did not get the message throughout the entire set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X82Rk1zf4-w

Folie

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this is like with 50th time I've said something like this about bucket but the bucket really won't mean much when a not-braindead Toon Link recognizes the threat and either use the massive endlag on bucket to their advantage or just not recklessly and predictably throw out bombs.

As far as the MU goes, TL keeps it even by being able to take advantage of the fact G&W HAS to approach, having quick, solid punishes and having backthrow. You have to be patient and good with shielding with this MU, and take advantage when you're in an advantage state against TL, which is where we excel in this MU. He's easy to gimp as well.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
What are his most advantageous matchups? Considering him as a pocket but the op doesn't say much at all.

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
What are his most advantageous matchups? Considering him as a pocket but the op doesn't say much at all.
the OPs pretty outdated, most MU discussion happens in skype/discord or when someone asks for info on a specific MU in this subforum.

assuming you're asking about relevant MUs (meaning, :4jigglypuff: is our best MU, but she's not really a largely relevant character), G&W has (mostly slightly) winning relevant MUs vs :4mario::4luigi::4pikachu::4ness: and imo you could maybe make the argument for having a slight advantage or even MU vs :4zss::4ryu::4metaknight: (that's just my opinion tho). G&W also has the benefit of a lot of people accross multiple skill levels who don't play the character not understanding how he works or how to fight against him, tho in some MUs (speak of the devil, :4sonic:) they don't really need the knowledge to beat G&W.

Last edited:

Domphie

Smash Rookie
Mario's combo's can be devastating if the G&W isn't playing good defensive.

Top Bottom