• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old-School Classic Mode + Adventure Mode DLC

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
Okay, I'm sure tons of people have made topics about wanting Adventure Mode or Subspace back. And I can definitely say that I agree heavily that those modes should make a return in some sort of fashion. But, I also have a new mode that I think would be a good addition to Smash 4. Old-School Classic Mode. Now the title should already be pretty self-explanatory. Basically introduce a Classic Mode alternative that is identical to the Classic in Smash 64-Brawl. There is a huge amount of people who hate the Classic in Smash 4, and I'm in that group. And it's not because I'm not opposed to change or anything. It's just that the changes that the new Classic made we're just stupid. The Kid Icarus: Uprising difficulty system worked in that game, not in this one. If I fail a challenge, I should be able to retry it until I get better, but this game doesn't allow me to do that. On top of that, the 5-8 player battles are cheap especially with the overpowered items in this game. Top that off with no mini games and this mode is just no fun to me and a lot of people. So a Old-School Classic and a updated Adventure Mode would be great and will most likely make me like this game a whole lot more.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
If you add a melee style break the target and additional event matches to this pack, I would actually be willing to pay quite a lot. And it is not like it would be that much work honestly.

I would also like the return of board the platform and race to the finish. I like the single player content we have, I just feel that Brawl and melee had a few things I miss. I spent so much time on melee's btt. On smash 4, there is only HRC and MMS, the bomb thing isn't a thing to me.

Also the coop content is a bit lacking. more events, and coop adventure mode like SSE

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
If you add a melee style break the target and additional event matches to this pack, I would actually be willing to pay quite a lot. And it is not like it would be that much work honestly.

I would also like the return of board the platform and race to the finish. I like the single player content we have, I just feel that Brawl and melee had a few things I miss. I spent so much time on melee's btt. On smash 4, there is only HRC and MMS, the bomb thing isn't a thing to me.

Also the coop content is a bit lacking. more events, and coop adventure mode like SSE
Yeah, the return of the "____ the ____" segments would be great, and that was one of the things that Smash 4's Classic Mode lacked. And more co-op modes would really be cool too.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Okay, I'm sure tons of people have made topics about wanting Adventure Mode or Subspace back. And I can definitely say that I agree heavily that those modes should make a return in some sort of fashion. But, I also have a new mode that I think would be a good addition to Smash 4. Old-School Classic Mode. Now the title should already be pretty self-explanatory. Basically introduce a Classic Mode alternative that is identical to the Classic in Smash 64-Brawl. There is a huge amount of people who hate the Classic in Smash 4, and I'm in that group. And it's not because I'm not opposed to change or anything. It's just that the changes that the new Classic made we're just stupid. The Kid Icarus: Uprising difficulty system worked in that game, not in this one. If I fail a challenge, I should be able to retry it until I get better, but this game doesn't allow me to do that. On top of that, the 5-8 player battles are cheap especially with the overpowered items in this game. Top that off with no mini games and this mode is just no fun to me and a lot of people. So a Old-School Classic and a updated Adventure Mode would be great and will most likely make me like this game a whole lot more.
This is probably one of the best ideas I've seen yet.....literally.

Some things are meant to be left untouched. Classic Mode was one of them, with the exception of Master Core and Master Fortress (in case your hearts weren't pounding hard enough).

A Adventure Mode consisting of a hybrid between Melee and Brawl would be great. Add the Underground Maze, Mushroom Kingdom, Mute City, and Corneria from Melee, and the rest of the courses be from Brawl except have the ending much more cinematic, and actually make the characters talk in the cutscenes. Seems like a lot of work but would be worth it.

I'd be willing to put in $50 of DLC just to tell the Classic Mode we have right now to go use the back door.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U version of Smash 4's Classic Mode relies on gimmicks way too much. It's such a rarity to see anything below a 5-player battle that I often forget they can happen. Now, 5-player battles can be fine, but most of the time, they're above with 7 opponents. And I am not a fan on being on an item-infested Castle Seige with 7 goonies out for my head. Not to mention, the CPU is incredibly biased on 8.0 and above, often times comboing on the player way too much than wanted. Also, Team Battles, while certainly better than having a wooden plank as a partner on the 3DS, is still unfair. A story I have is about me playing a 4 vs. 4 on Castle Seige on 9.0. No lives lost, but suddenly, when all of my parters are around 30%, they all mysteriously get knocked out by one single Smash Attack, leaving me with 4 bloodthirsty CPUs. I lost both lives near instantly.

Moving on, Intruder Alert is one of the stupidest mechanics I have ever seen. It lets a Metal or Giant fighter randomly replace an opponent when you move to them. This screams "wacky" and "fun" so much, it makes me want to tear out all my hair. Another story: I was playing as Bowser on 9.0. No lives lost, it's just before Fighting Mii Team and I have to fight Dr. Mario. I'm practically jumping with joy when a random Giant Toon Link appears and two-stocks me using items and overpowered Smash Attacks. AND WHEN ONE OF THE MISSIONS IS TO BEAT 9.0 WITH NO LIVES LOST, WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM HERE. It sounds bad on paper, awful in execution, I'd rather beat All-Star on Hard with Pichu and no recovery.

So yes, the original Classic Mode will be just fine, thank you.

Oh, and the Fighting Mii Team can get hit by a bus.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4's classic mode looks like it would have been a lot more fun as an online multiplayer type of chaos game.

Imagine players trying to get the level they prefer, and good match ups... if a collision happens then they join together are arguing over where to move via thumb stick direction.

Old classic mode is something I would like to see... Please make it 2 player though.

As for adventure... if it feels like a side event instead of a big draw I may get it. IMO turning smash into a side scrolling beat em up via SSE was the worst decision ever made for the series. Battling through the worlds with a huge roster of characters is a good idea for a game, but not for smash. Make that from the ground up and I will buy it... shove the uniquely shaped smash into the round hole of a side scroller and it comes out badly.

Though if I had a choice I would prefer a slightly modified melee all star. Randomize the order like melee: This was fun because it was a different game each time. Brawl and Sm4sh focus on history, but that hurts the fun of it a lot by making it very repetitive. 1 change: Have as many portals as there are enemies, and let us choose who's home stage we go to. (Brawl Complaint: When the biggest determining factor in my success was did I get Delhino Plazza/Mushroomy Kingdom and Pokemon Stadium or did I get Luigi's Mansion and Spear Pillar... that adds a lot of frustration and forcing me to play a level unfavorable to my goal is not at all fun)

Because of the bigger roster size, more healing items would be needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom