• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oil Bucket damage

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I've been playing around trying to get the highest damage possible in a single move in brawl. My best method i've tried so far has been 3 of ness's pk flashes, bucketed by a gameandwatch, shot through a teammate ike to an enemy ike who counters, whose counter is then countered by the teammate ike.

According to the internet, ness's fully charged pk flash does 37 damage. Ike's counter does 1.2x the damage received. But, and here's the question, what the heck is going on with the oil bucket?

After trying this method, The enemy ike was instantly KOed (man was that fun), but only in the upper 70-lower 80 range percentage-wise. I found two numbers for Game and watch's bucket online, one saying that he did 2x the three energy attacks combined, and one that said he did 2.8x the total. This is what doesn't make sense. Were 2x or 2.8x true, this attack could have done 222 or 311 damage, respectively, and that's before it gets countered.

Since I read different results for the oil bucket, i'm inclined to think that my oil bucket numbers are the problem here. Sure i'm not guaranteed to get a fully charged pk flash every time, but shouldn't it still do far more damage than it's doing?

Vinnie

Smash Master
Max % for the bucket to deal is 62% iirc. The list of projectiles are in a thread somewhere... they include but are not limited to

-Zss dsmash
-pika aerial neutral b
-ness pk flash

etc

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Max % for the bucket to deal is 62% iirc. The list of projectiles are in a thread somewhere... they include but are not limited to

-Zss dsmash
-pika aerial neutral b
-ness pk flash

etc
62 times 1.2 times 1.2 comes out to 89. that's still higher than what i got, though it is a lot closer

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Are you taking into consideration of stale moves? The bucket stales and PK flash stales when absorbing/absorbed. If you're doing this in training room moves are weaker by a bit, but I assume since you mentioned teams you're doing this in actual brawl.

So I cast my vote out to stale moves.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
You can find all of the information you need to know about G&W's bukit, what projectiles he can absorb, and the percents they will deal here:

Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141781

It's a little outdated, I see it shows a lot of moves total to 60%. I'm guessing some of them should show 62%. Anybody care to take on the project and update the list? I would also like to see stats including items like Fire Flower and Super Scope... maybe even Final Smashes!?!?!?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's because that shows the percent a move does in training mode. When fresh, the bucket does more, which isnt achievable in training mode because it ignores the stale move list completely (which incidentally helps speed up the data collecting process since you dont have to unstale the bucket or the other projectiles). A good rule of thumb is to use that list as a rough guide and then raise the percent and knockback it would do when in a real match.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168077
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4447906&postcount=2

This is my old thread on Oil Panic that I havent updated in ages. The second link has items and stage hazards that can be absorbed included. I dont recall any final smashes being absorbable but I dont remember it clearly. Maybe this will help some?

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Are you taking into consideration of stale moves? The bucket stales and PK flash stales when absorbing/absorbed. If you're doing this in training room moves are weaker by a bit, but I assume since you mentioned teams you're doing this in actual brawl.

So I cast my vote out to stale moves.
Could have been. I looked up Ness's PK Flash and one source said that if you don't charge it fully it only does 9 damage. If that's valid, the numbers nearly add up, and stale moves may well explain the rest.

Next time I try it again I'll destale before each move and try to get every pk flash fully charged. When i get the chance I'll post the numbers i get, though if anyone else wants to try it out on their own feel free.

NatP

Smash Ace
Please don't speak spanish on an american thread. o.- Btw, he said that he thinks that the damage done by the bucket depends on what you put on it and that this answers the question asked.

Btw, try killing yourself after doing everything to ensure stale moves aren't present.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Sorry, i'm kinda frustrated. i've been meaning from the beginning to get the videos i shot of this up so you guys can see for yourselves what's going on, but my media converters aren't working, and i'm starting to fear that the whole batch of videos is corrupted. I'd shoot another except that it's most likely a problem with the camera which would make another try irrelevant.

From what i've gleaned however, i can say that the culprit is most likely stale moves. Ness's PK flash has the annoying property where, unlike melee, if you just hold the control stick to one side it'll cancel out due to too close a proximity to the ground. therefore it took me some 6 or 7 tries before the bucket got full, which apparently decrease the power of it by a lot.

Next time I try it out I'll be sure to get stale moves out of the picture, as well as get some friends to play the other characters rather than rubber band joysticks and multitask :p

Superspright

Smash Lord
Please don't speak spanish on an american thread. o.- Btw, he said that he thinks that the damage done by the bucket depends on what you put on it and that this answers the question asked.

Btw, try killing yourself after doing everything to ensure stale moves aren't present.
America speaks Spanish. x.x

Top Bottom