• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh wow look, it's people

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I joined earlier this year and spent most of my time lurking since, but with Smash Wii U's impending arrival, I know I'll be clicking the POAST NU MESSAJ button a lot more after next week.

I've been playing the Smash series since I was a wee lass, and gaming in general since I could hold a controller, with fond memories of constantly renting Smash 64 from Blockbuster every Friday until the store finally closed down (though why I never just went ahead and asked for it for Christmas one of those years, I don't know. I made my parents spend enough money renting it to buy at least a hundred copies of my own).

Unfortunately, when Melee came out, I didn't have a very broad circle of friends, and none of them played videogames (or Smash if they did at all). As a result of my lack of humanoid interaction with the game, and only playing CPUs, I never became competitively proficient with the game and feel like at this point I'd rather not invest the time in it.

In 2008, I was super excited for Brawl because of its online capabilities - lackluster as they were - as I still didn't know many local gamers when it first released. Since then I've become fairly decent, and now that I have REAL ACTUAL PEOPLE GAMING FRIENDS, I've decided to go into Smash 4 with a more deliberate "I want 2 mebbe lern 2 Smash" mentality.

So yay.

Outside of gaming, I enjoy shielding mine pale skin from the vicious sun, frolicking in brutal polar winds in open fields, and deviously petting my cat, who bites.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
Haha. what a story. Sounds like mine. I played once the 64 version and liked never got it thou. Melee came out but I didn't have money despite having a gamecube. The brawl came out and I didn't have a Wii. I've been suffering for years longing for a Smash game. I finally got a 2DS and Smash but not at the same time I already had a 2ds playing Zelda a link between worlds, Pokemon X and Mario kart 7. Thou even having 64, Melee and Brawl would not have helped much since like you at that time I had nearly for friends and the little I had didn't play Smash so off I go with the blockhead cpus. Now Online is partially saving me. I have a very wonky network were I play lagless but I 90% cannot join or be joined by a friend. It pisses me off because I have no friends physically who play smash. and now that I have online for people around the world. It's idiotic enough to prevent most friend plays? It's got to be a curse... But that's okay at least I have fun and that's what matters. Oh and of course, Welcome to smashboards. Hope you improve your friend count with a better and improved network too. Have fun!

Last edited:

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
That really bites, I'm sorry to hear that! I'm hopeful for improved internet functionality since MK8 seems to be going so swimmingly, and I would absolutely love to have some 'regulars' I could play against online. I used to have connection problems with my PS3, but have since fixed it (and fortunately Brawl wasn't too much of an issue for me, as I still managed to have some good lagless matches); ah, the complicated glory that is modern technology.

Thank you very much!

StarForce

Smash Ace
We are a bit under money at home so everything we buys is a sacrifice and when it breaks up there's hardly a replacement without much sacrifice again. For now we are stuck with the net as it is. Can't improve it for a better one as getting a higher cost just for me to play isn't an option my parents would consider in a million years. Smash 3ds is what I will have as I have no money for a WiiU or Smash wiiU. It's eating me inside with all the stuff the U version has. The 3ds is just but a small nibble of the huge watermelon we're gonna get on November 21 and I'll miss it maybe forever.

Last edited:

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I'm so sorry about your situation. Chin up; things will change eventually, and 'forever' is too long a description to be thrown around all willy-nilly! I know it's hard to see past all the muck right now, but I'm sure you'll come out of it (and when you do, I'll look forward to playing you on Smash)!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Welcome aboard to the boards! That was my main problem with Melee, I had no one besides my brother and some of my cousins who I could play with. I only played Brawl's online once with a friend and it was alright for a while until matches turned laggy. Sm4sh's new capabilites should change that!

By the way, cool avatar. Are you a fan of Maleficent?

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Good to know I wasn't the only one in that boat; I always felt like the odd one out whenever I'd come online and hear about people practicing with friends on Smash. I'd just be like "WELL OKAY back to my CPU matches, I'm totally still having fun sulk sulk sulk..."

I am! Ever since seeing Disney's Sleeping Beauty as a kid, haha. I really love mythical creatures, dragons particularly, and I also love the appeal of elegant evil ladies - so she combines the two quite nicely. :p

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
enjoy yourself around here!

StarForce

Smash Ace
I'm so sorry about your situation. Chin up; things will change eventually, and 'forever' is too long a description to be thrown around all willy-nilly! I know it's hard to see past all the muck right now, but I'm sure you'll come out of it (and when you do, I'll look forward to playing you on Smash)!
Well I'm also missing a TV. Mine went to the heavens a few months ago so it's a $400+ investment and that seems abysmal to me. WiiU is not in my to buy list at anytime so I'll keep the invitation to play Smash U but sit well and tight cause it'll be a long time. On the other hand I like the optimism. This will get better just in a very slow way for me but it'll eventually.

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Well I'm also missing a TV. Mine went to the heavens a few months ago so it's a $400+ investment and that seems abysmal to me. WiiU is not in my to buy list at anytime so I'll keep the invitation to play Smash U but sit well and tight cause it'll be a long time. On the other hand I like the optimism. This will get better just in a very slow way for me but it'll eventually.
I am patient. WHEN THE DAY COMES, I'LL BE READY.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to smashboards if u are looking for some regulars to play around u can message me your Skype. I always enjoy adding people on my hit list.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
I joined earlier this year and spent most of my time lurking since, but with Smash Wii U's impending arrival, I know I'll be clicking the POAST NU MESSAJ button a lot more after next week.

I've been playing the Smash series since I was a wee lass, and gaming in general since I could hold a controller, with fond memories of constantly renting Smash 64 from Blockbuster every Friday until the store finally closed down (though why I never just went ahead and asked for it for Christmas one of those years, I don't know. I made my parents spend enough money renting it to buy at least a hundred copies of my own).

Unfortunately, when Melee came out, I didn't have a very broad circle of friends, and none of them played videogames (or Smash if they did at all). As a result of my lack of humanoid interaction with the game, and only playing CPUs, I never became competitively proficient with the game and feel like at this point I'd rather not invest the time in it.

In 2008, I was super excited for Brawl because of its online capabilities - lackluster as they were - as I still didn't know many local gamers when it first released. Since then I've become fairly decent, and now that I have REAL ACTUAL PEOPLE GAMING FRIENDS, I've decided to go into Smash 4 with a more deliberate "I want 2 mebbe lern 2 Smash" mentality.

So yay.

Outside of gaming, I enjoy shielding mine pale skin from the vicious sun, frolicking in brutal polar winds in open fields, and deviously petting my cat, who bites.
Hello welcomeeeeeee!!! It's nice to have people around that have been in the Smash Bros universe for so long. I'm sure you're a tough guy, so, if you want to fight, give me a call. I had kind of the same situation with Melee; I could only play with my brother and his friends, but when they stopped playing Smash Bros, I was left with no one to train with. :/ But now I'm sure we can both train together. See ya! And welcome again! :D

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Hello welcomeeeeeee!!! It's nice to have people around that have been in the Smash Bros universe for so long. I'm sure you're a tough guy, so, if you want to fight, give me a call. I had kind of the same situation with Melee; I could only play with my brother and his friends, but when they stopped playing Smash Bros, I was left with no one to train with. :/ But now I'm sure we can both train together. See ya! And welcome again! :D

Ho ho ho, it seems you are mistaken; I am in fact a tough lady, good sir. SO MUCH WORSE.

Feel free to go ahead and add me to your Wii U friends thingy, my ID is KarleKat. I'd love a training pal to play against when it releases this week! Ah, the glories of modern technology and the vast connectedness of the Internet.

It really does bring me consolation to know so many other kids growing up had a similar gaming childhood. It wasn't really appropriate for me to hang out with boys all the time growing up, and no girls in my area wanted to play videogames (unless it was Mary Kate and Ashley's HORSE RIDING ADVENTURE oh sweet geezus I pray none of you recognize the name), so it just kind of sucked.

UNTIL THE INTERNET!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Ho ho ho, it seems you are mistaken; I am in fact a tough lady, good sir. SO MUCH WORSE.

Feel free to go ahead and add me to your Wii U friends thingy, my ID is KarleKat. I'd love a training pal to play against when it releases this week! Ah, the glories of modern technology and the vast connectedness of the Internet.

It really does bring me consolation to know so many other kids growing up had a similar gaming childhood. It wasn't really appropriate for me to hang out with boys all the time growing up, and no girls in my area wanted to play videogames (unless it was Mary Kate and Ashley's HORSE RIDING ADVENTURE oh sweet geezus I pray none of you recognize the name), so it just kind of sucked.

UNTIL THE INTERNET!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Well excuuuuse me, Karle xD I'm sorry I didn't know you were a girl. Well, we could battle this weekend. I've got a tournament, so it should be a good practice :D

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Well excuuuuse me, Karle xD I'm sorry I didn't know you were a girl. Well, we could battle this weekend. I've got a tournament, so it should be a good practice :D

Bwahahaha! It's quite funny actually; whenever I go to a doctor's office or any 'official' place where you're called back from a waiting room, they read the sheet, assume the 'e' is silent, and ask for a "MISTER Karl". I kind of enjoy it. XD

Absolutely! I'm going to a tournament Saturday myself, but I'm sure we'll manage something. :D

And you are a Sonic main, at that. Most unusual.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hello how's everything going around? This is quite a growing intro topic. That's cause I gave it my magic touch. I know most of the posters here! Most I was the first to welcome them haha. Is this topic becoming a small guild? Sounds fun. We should all make a big free for all 4 player fest to practice.

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Hello how's everything going around? This is quite a growing intro topic. That's cause I gave it my magic touch. I know most of the posters here! Most I was the first to welcome them haha. Is this topic becoming a small guild? Sounds fun. We should all make a big free for all 4 player fest to practice.
Haha, it might be! I've found the Smash community is probably one of the friendliest I've been involved in so far (apart from Okami when it first came out waaaaay back in April '06 - bunch of wonderful flower hippie wolf nerds, delightful creatures). I do appreciate the welcome from all of you!
And yes, that does sound fun. :D

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Bwahahaha! It's quite funny actually; whenever I go to a doctor's office or any 'official' place where you're called back from a waiting room, they read the sheet, assume the 'e' is silent, and ask for a "MISTER Karl". I kind of enjoy it. XD

Absolutely! I'm going to a tournament Saturday myself, but I'm sure we'll manage something. :D

And you are a Sonic main, at that. Most unusual.
Ohhhh awesome!! You're going to a tournament too!! That means you're REALLY good. I really need to fight you. Is it a big tournament? Mine's a state tournament, last time I went, I lost in semi-finals. It was actually kind of unfair, but well, this time I'm going for the 1st place!

PD: Your character is unusual too, I haven't seen many Charizards Online ;)

StarForce

Smash Ace
Ohhhh awesome!! You're going to a tournament too!! That means you're REALLY good. I really need to fight you. Is it a big tournament? Mine's a state tournament, last time I went, I lost in semi-finals. It was actually kind of unfair, but well, this time I'm going for the 1st place!

I don't see nearly any Charizards online either. the two I have seen spam the flareblitz like it's Chari's only move; my gosh. *facepalm*

KarleKat

Smash Cadet

Well, it's being advertised as 'Florida's biggest Smash tournament ever!', but just because I'm entering, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm good! I can usually beat most of my local friends, but seeing as how this is my first real 'competitive' thing, I'm positive I'm going to get beaten to a quivering pulp.
I still want to try anyway. XD

Good luck to you on your next one! We should definitely fight. I'm going to the midnight release tomorrow because I, um, actually asked for a few days off work for this... XD

Haha, yeah, Charizard doesn't seem to be super common. I know he's not exactly the best (especially compared to characters like Rosalina, Sheik, ZSS, etc.), but I main characters because I like them and their playstyle regardless of their vulnerabilities.

@ StarForce StarForce : Good lordy, no kidding. Pretty sure the people who spam Flare Blitz have no idea what they're doing; it's easily punishable, and serves much better purpose being that one move you throw out every so often just to change things up. Best used sparingly, I think.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's being advertised as 'Florida's biggest Smash tournament ever!', but just because I'm entering, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm good! I can usually beat most of my local friends, but seeing as how this is my first real 'competitive' thing, I'm positive I'm going to get beaten to a quivering pulp.
I still want to try anyway. XD

Good luck to you on your next one! We should definitely fight. I'm going to the midnight release tomorrow because I, um, actually asked for a few days off work for this... XD

Haha, yeah, Charizard doesn't seem to be super common. I know he's not exactly the best (especially compared to characters like Rosalina, Sheik, ZSS, etc.), but I main characters because I like them and their playstyle regardless of their vulnerabilities.

@ StarForce StarForce : Good lordy, no kidding. Pretty sure the people who spam Flare Blitz have no idea what they're doing; it's easily punishable, and serves much better purpose being that one move you throw out every so often just to change things up. Best used sparingly, I think.
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine in the tournament! I was 12 years old when I went to my first ''most important state tournament'' and I got to the 2nd place! Well, there wasn't a lot of good people, I've got to recognize that, but still, it was my first tournament.
I think you can do it! You just need to follow 4 steps:

1: Be calm: Don't get nervous. If you do, you won't act and play as you usually do, and then you'll really be in trouble.

2: Be confident: Believe in yourself, and in your skills. But don't get cocky, never underestimate your rival. Like Peppy would say: ''Never give up, trust your instincts!''. He also said ''Do a barrell roll!'' and ''It's quiet, TOO QUIET!''. Don't listen to those last two xD.

3: Think in what you're doing: Don't go crazy and start playing without knowing what are you doing. If you do, your rival can use it against you. Think and use wisely your attacks.

4: Adapt to your oponent: It's the best way to win a battle. Most of the people from tournaments don't follow thse steps: they get nervous, they aren't confident at all and they attack like angry monkeys. Use that against them. Adapt yourself to their ''gameplay''. If there's one who's spamming as hell, adapt yourself to him/her and kick his ass. If there's someone using shield every time you attack, adapt yourself to him/her and grab him/her and then do some combos to finish him/her.

These are the steps I follow every time I go to a tournament. I really recommend you to follow these steps, they're very helpful. I can't go to Florida to see you play, but you can record the matches and upload them here (you don't have to do it if you don't want to). And because I can't go to Florida to tell you ''Good Luck!'', I'll do it here: Good Luck!!!

StarForce

Smash Ace
Just as I said to Querubiknight: "Even if you think your gonna lose you have to go with hope and determination." You don't know how it will turn out. You have already forecast what you think it might happen but it's not written in stone yet. You have to be determined and hopeful. That boosts the spirit and makes you more concentrated.

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine in the tournament! I was 12 years old when I went to my first ''most important state tournament'' and I got to the 2nd place! Well, there wasn't a lot of good people, I've got to recognize that, but still, it was my first tournament.
I think you can do it! You just need to follow 4 steps:

1: Be calm: Don't get nervous. If you do, you won't act and play as you usually do, and then you'll really be in trouble.

2: Be confident: Believe in yourself, and in your skills. But don't get cocky, never underestimate your rival. Like Peppy would say: ''Never give up, trust your instincts!''. He also said ''Do a barrell roll!'' and ''It's quiet, TOO QUIET!''. Don't listen to those last two xD.

3: Think in what you're doing: Don't go crazy and start playing without knowing what are you doing. If you do, your rival can use it against you. Think and use wisely your attacks.

4: Adapt to your oponent: It's the best way to win a battle. Most of the people from tournaments don't follow thse steps: they get nervous, they aren't confident at all and they attack like angry monkeys. Use that against them. Adapt yourself to their ''gameplay''. If there's one who's spamming as hell, adapt yourself to him/her and kick his ***. If there's someone using shield every time you attack, adapt yourself to him/her and grab him/her and then do some combos to finish him/her.

These are the steps I follow every time I go to a tournament. I really recommend you to follow these steps, they're very helpful. I can't go to Florida to see you play, but you can record the matches and upload them here (you don't have to do it if you don't want to). And because I can't go to Florida to tell you ''Good Luck!'', I'll do it here: Good Luck!!!

I really am trying to tell everyone I'm quite at peace with the whole thing, honestly! I'm not particularly going with winning in mind, I just want to have fun and try something new. Maybe socialize a bit. Get me out of the house for something other than work. XD

Thank you very much though! I sure hope they don't record audio of the people fighting. There will be a lot of shouting from me regardless. :p

You are all splendid people.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
I really am trying to tell everyone I'm quite at peace with the whole thing, honestly! I'm not particularly going with winning in mind, I just want to have fun and try something new. Maybe socialize a bit. Get me out of the house for something other than work. XD

Thank you very much though! I sure hope they don't record audio of the people fighting. There will be a lot of shouting from me regardless. :p

You are all splendid people.
How did it go? Did you get to a high place? 3rd? Maybe 2nd? I already played my tournament, I got the 3rd place. There's this Falco guy who always wins every tournament, and I had to fight him in semi-finals. I would have finished 2nd if I didn't have to fight him that early in the tournament. Oh, and it was a Brawl tournament, not a 3DS one. I wanted to play in the 3DS where Sonic is a really good character, but well, maybe next time.

Tell me everything about your tournament, I want to know how good are the players over there!!

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
How did it go? Did you get to a high place? 3rd? Maybe 2nd? I already played my tournament, I got the 3rd place. There's this Falco guy who always wins every tournament, and I had to fight him in semi-finals. I would have finished 2nd if I didn't have to fight him that early in the tournament. Oh, and it was a Brawl tournament, not a 3DS one. I wanted to play in the 3DS where Sonic is a really good character, but well, maybe next time.

Tell me everything about your tournament, I want to know how good are the players over there!!

Ah! I forgot to reply to this!

It was fine; I lost relatively early on due to a bit of SD-madness on my part, but I had a great time regardless! Learned a lot about the community, and met a bunch of super nice people (they had a relatively good turnout too, about 40 or so people showed up). I did have trouble leaving after seven hours of being there, though, because we had more Wii U setups than GC controller adapters, and I had brought mine along just in case, so they were using it for a tourney setup. XD

I think I lost to a Falco myself, actually, though this was on SSB4. I hope you had a good time at yours! I was really impressed with the skill level I saw, the Melee part of the tournament in particular was just NUTS. People be crazy!

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Ah! I forgot to reply to this!

It was fine; I lost relatively early on due to a bit of SD-madness on my part, but I had a great time regardless! Learned a lot about the community, and met a bunch of super nice people (they had a relatively good turnout too, about 40 or so people showed up). I did have trouble leaving after seven hours of being there, though, because we had more Wii U setups than GC controller adapters, and I had brought mine along just in case, so they were using it for a tourney setup. XD

I think I lost to a Falco myself, actually, though this was on SSB4. I hope you had a good time at yours! I was really impressed with the skill level I saw, the Melee part of the tournament in particular was just NUTS. People be crazy!
I love it when I meet people in tournaments. I usually find them again in other tournaments, and we become friends/rivals ^^ But, in this tournament, there was a problem. I found my rivals, as always, in the tournament. I was very happy, because I was going to fight them again after a lot of time. We battled some times, and then they went to eat lunch, and got out of the event. But, the people who organised the event sold more tickets than they should, and there was just TOO many people, so they closed their doors to the people who went out. There were some fights, and people started to sneak in and then the police came and.. well, many MANY problems. And that's why I couldn't fight my rivals, they were left out!

But well, I'll fight them next time :)

MushroomManiac

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndresGP
3DS FC
4425-1475-8736
Ah Smash for the N64. I saved up hard for the game and system when I was a kid. It was well worth it as I still pick it up every once in a while today, haha.

I also still remember how I would hang out on the online lobby for Brawl waiting so long for a match, only to find players who would do nothing but taunt throughout the entire match. Truly it was the ultimate online experience.

Welcome to the Smashboards KarleKat. May you find allies on your journeys of Super, Smashing, and... Brother-ing?

Ya so anyway enjoy the stay here. xD

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I love it when I meet people in tournaments. I usually find them again in other tournaments, and we become friends/rivals ^^ But, in this tournament, there was a problem. I found my rivals, as always, in the tournament. I was very happy, because I was going to fight them again after a lot of time. We battled some times, and then they went to eat lunch, and got out of the event. But, the people who organised the event sold more tickets than they should, and there was just TOO many people, so they closed their doors to the people who went out. There were some fights, and people started to sneak in and then the police came and.. well, many MANY problems. And that's why I couldn't fight my rivals, they were left out!

But well, I'll fight them next time :)

Oh, that's a real shame! I'm sorry that happened. What a story though - at least it was entertaining, if nothing else. We had people going out and coming back all day at our tournament; it went on for over 12 hours, so it got kind of sweaty and humid in there, and I was so hungry I was getting ready to eat someone's arms. I was exhausted from work anyway so I just had to bail at 7 hours. XD

Ah Smash for the N64. I saved up hard for the game and system when I was a kid. It was well worth it as I still pick it up every once in a while today, haha.

I also still remember how I would hang out on the online lobby for Brawl waiting so long for a match, only to find players who would do nothing but taunt throughout the entire match. Truly it was the ultimate online experience.

Welcome to the Smashboards KarleKat. May you find allies on your journeys of Super, Smashing, and... Brother-ing?

Ya so anyway enjoy the stay here. xD

Birthday money was gold back then, bwahahaha. I was a persuasive little thing - I just remember begging my mom and talking about how cool it looked, and she eventually caved. I still remember Super Mario 64 booting up and how completely blown away I was at the time! MUCH GRAPHIC. MANY PIXEL. SO 3D. WOW.
I still go back and play my old consoles, too. My PS1 also receives much love (Spyro the Dragon anyone?).

YES. Ugh. Or, when you finally did get into a decently connected match with someone, they mained Meta Knight and were so ungodly good with that broken character you couldn't lift a finger to press a single button before you got a sword up the rear. I did have a few good matches, though I found it strange how I had a better connection with my friend over in Scotland than my friend in Miami... XD

Thank you very much, though! I sure am. :B

Top Bottom