• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official White GC Controller L Button

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm not really sure where this thread belongs so I'm posting it here. Does anyone else's controller have a 'sticky' L button? What I mean is when I push the L button (on the further end of it) it is very hard to push. It works fine and it isn't a problem when my finger is in the middle or closer to the front of the button, but it can mess me up from time to time. The R button is not like this. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do about it? I bought this controller sealed in the box.

Guel

Smash Journeyman
Omg i thought maybe something had happen to my controller. Friend of mine bought me it for christmas and after using it like twice the L button became so hard to push randomly. Sometimes it gets stuck sometimes it doesnt and its so annoying because I use L for everything. It got out of hand when i started missing techs and getting punished. I was like f this ****. I have R set to attack so i can dacus so i seriously had no option left but to stop using the controller. When my friend gave it to me it was sealed brand new. After hearing that the same has happen to you theres no way its just a coincidence. wtf is this bs ...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Grime probably got in your controller. Just open it up and clean it.

It's a skill that all Smashers should have anyways.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recently came into possession of an Official White Controller. I didn't notice any problems with the L button, but then again I only used it for about 2 minutes before I opened it up and went to work.

Like Shadic said, you really should get in there. Maybe there's some flash on the plastic or maybe something else, but you can probably find out easily what the problem is by opening the controller up and checking out the insides. Every serious Smasher should be intimately familiar with that kinda stuff.

You can get tri-wing screwdrivers really cheap off Amazon and you can probably find them in physical stores with a little searching, if internet shopping isn't your thing.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Grime probably got in your controller. Just open it up and clean it.

It's a skill that all Smashers should have anyways.
Do I need a triwing screwdriver for this? Kind of annoying that I would have to spend $3 and wait 2-5 days for something I'm only going to use once.

In addition the controller was like this right out of the box from Japan.

Guel

Smash Journeyman
Just because "every smasher should have that skill anyway" doesnt mean its ok to ship out faulty controllers.

Nyte42

Smash Rookie
Little parts from the controller shell can and will break off inside at some point. It might have happened with your controllers while it was being delivered and the broken off part may have gotten stuck inside the L button trigger box(?), meaning it can prevent the L trigger from working properly. This was the problem with my friend's controller when he asked me to try and fix it. Getting a tri-wing screwdriver would be a good idea, even if what I mentioned isn't the problem. It opens up the option to fix your controller when you need to and customizations like spray painting your controller shell or mixing two different color shells together.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Little parts from the controller shell can and will break off inside at some point. It might have happened with your controllers while it was being delivered and the broken off part may have gotten stuck inside the L button trigger box(?), meaning it can prevent the L trigger from working properly. This was the problem with my friend's controller when he asked me to try and fix it. Getting a tri-wing screwdriver would be a good idea, even if what I mentioned isn't the problem. It opens up the option to fix your controller when you need to and customizations like spray painting your controller shell or mixing two different color shells together.
But as said before, the box was just opened. It makes no sense to ship out faulty products. If you're lucky, you could go years without having to fix it.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Is there any cheap knock off controllers that can be used for spare parts? Because i remember taking a Y button from a generic controller and sanding it down until it fit, it just seems like a cheap way to keep controllers in good condition

I bought one off Smashboards about a week ago. I haven't came across any issues with it, but I really just use L for wavedashing, wavelanding and air dodge to tether. I use R for everything else, L cancels, tech rolls, spot dodges etc. My L button seems very responsive though. I threw a P:M tourney the other day, and he said the control was fine. I'm guessing it's just a few here & there that are poorly manufactured.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I bought one off Smashboards about a week ago. I haven't came across any issues with it, but I really just use L for wavedashing, wavelanding and air dodge to tether. I use R for everything else, L cancels, tech rolls, spot dodges etc. My L button seems very responsive though. I threw a P:M tourney the other day, and he said the control was fine. I'm guessing it's just a few here & there that are poorly manufactured.
Just to verify, try pushing down L on the very back ridge, instead of in the center. Because it works fine for me in the center.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
But as said before, the box was just opened. It makes no sense to ship out faulty products. If you're lucky, you could go years without having to fix it.
Work in distribution and then tell me something about "shipping faulty products". It's not like they play PM for 5 hours before putting it in it's plastic retail case and shipping it to you.

Top Bottom