• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas FC Logistics Thread - Transportation, Housing, and the Like

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Hi All, despite a few posts in the Texas Facebook group, we haven't really had serious housing and transportation discussion. I figured this is a good centralized place where we can discuss, even get oot feedback (if OK wants in) and I will update the OP as necessary.

Roll Call
emilywaves - Travel booked
Sethlon
Mojo
Jake13
Kevin Garcia
Gar - Travel booked
John V
Daniel B
Admiral - Travel booked
GlibbyGlobby - Travel booked

Transportation

I'm assuming a Saturday, Aug 11th arrival and Tuesday, Aug 14th departure

By Bus: $85-120 Roundtrip
Details: Megabus from Dallas to Memphis then Memphis to Chicago for $30. Then take the train or bus from Chicago to South Bend for $12-30 depending on schedule and mode of transit. Total travel time is about 20 hours, 24-25 hours including layover time in Memphis and Chicago.

By Plane: $200-350 Roundtrip
Details; It is cheapest by far to fly into Chicago O'Hare (ORD) than Midway (looks like Smashers found cheap flights from Southwest to Midway) to Southbend. I recommend groups to either rent a car or take South Shore Line (more info below) for $12

From Dallas: $230 with Spirit Airlines
From Austin: $342 with AA or United
From Houston: $244 with AA or United

By Car: ~$500 (or $125 in a 4 person car) Roundtrip
Travel time: 20 hours

From Chicago to South Bend: $24-60 Roundtrip

South Shore Line: $11.75 one way
Travel time: 3.5 hours
Schedule:
Depart Chicago 8:40A Arrive South Bend 12:10P
Depart Chicago 1:35P Arrive South Bend 5:06
Please check the weekend/holiday schedule ahead of time as it's limited on the weekend
http://www.nictd.com/

Greyhound: $29 one way (with 14 day advanced purchase)
Travel time: 2 hours
Buses leave every 4-5 hours
http://www.greyhound.com/

Amtrak: $17-27 one way
Travel time: 1.5 hours
Schedule:
Depart Chicago 6:10P Arrive South Bend 8:34P ($27)
Depart Chicago 9:30P Arrive South Bend 11:59P ($17)
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Coach also offers service for $40 one way, $69 round trip.

Hotel

We can use this section to have room leaders who book, or I can book a couple of rooms together, or feel feel to disregard and handle on your own. Up to y'all.

Rooming Lists

Hotel Info
The Waterford Estates
http://www.waterfordestateslodge.com/south-bend
52890 Indiana State Road 933
South Bend, IN 46637
(574)272-5220
When you call, mention that you are with the MELEE-FC Event for the special rate of $70/night+taxes!

Emily's Itinerary: $160
8/10 11:00A-7:20P Depart Dallas to Memphis (Megabus)
8/10 11:15P-9:00A Depart Memphis to Chicago (Megabus)
8/11 12:01P-2:55P Depart Chicago to South Bend (Greyhound)
I may rent a car in Chicago if I'm feeling frisky
8/14 6:40P-8:53P Depart Chicago to Dallas (Spirit Air)

garrR

Smash Apprentice
i bought plane tickets last night. i'm actually heading to chicago a few days earlier to visit some friends. i think kevin/hannah are planning to go also.

Wed Aug 8
Depart AUSTIN TX (AUS) at 8:30 PM
Arrive in HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 9:20 PM
Wanna Get Away

Change planes in HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 9:55 PM
Arrive in CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 12:10 AM
Travel Time 3 hrs 40 mins
Wanna Get Away

Wed Aug 15
Depart CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 10:15 AM
Arrive in AUSTIN TX (AUS) at 12:45 PM
Travel Time 2 hrs 30 mins
Wanna Get Away

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for making this.

Kevin and I are both registered for FC. I should be buying my plane tickets in the next few days. I know that John , err..., 0bso33t was also planning on going.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Cool beans guys. I encourage you to post your flight info so we can also coordinate rental cars/travel from Chicago to South Bend and what not.

Jake13

Smash Lord
still haven't decided between megabus and megaplane

prolly just go with ze flow

Emily, if i bus you wanna get a hotel for a night in chitown and party? err i mean sight see?

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Ya, I won't bus if no one else is, definitely not going to spend 25 hours by myself/with random creepers. Chicago on Sat night might be fun! But I'm volunteering at FC, so I dunno if I have responsibilities or anything that night yet...we'll see.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Hey Ivan did you get your tickets from Southwest? jw cuz they tend to be pretty cheap

for those that bought tickets already did yall arrange housing? or not yet? gah im a bit behind i shud prob get tickets soon

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Things are looking grim for me. Me and my roommates were supposed to be moving out of our current apartment in about a week, but it turns out we never actually told our apartment complex that we were leaving. They've booked us for another month and a half at a higher rate, and we were only able to push our move in date for the new lease a month...so next month we'll be paying 150% rent :(

I wasn't really sure if I was going to be able to make it regardless, so this is pretty much the final nail for me unfortunately.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Hannah and Kevin's Flight Information:

Sat Aug 11
Depart HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 11:05 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 1:30 PM
Travel Time 2 hrs 25 mins
Wanna Get Away

Wed Aug 15
Depart CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 8:35 PM
Arrive in HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 11:00 PM
Wanna Get Away

baka4moé

Smash Champion
is MDW the airport thats cheaper or that one thats closer to the venue?

also i take it hotel arrangements are after flight arrangements? thanks

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
MDW is about 3 hours away from the venue, but it is much cheaper to fly into. Also some airlines like Southwest don't fly to South Bend, so you're stuck with the next closest thing which is Chicago.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Hannah and Kevin's Flight Information:

Sat Aug 11
Depart HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 11:05 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 1:30 PM
Wanna Get Away

Wed Aug 15
Depart CHICAGO MIDWAY (MDW) at 8:35 PM
Arrive in HOUSTON HOBBY (HOU) at 11:00 PM
Wanna Get Away
How are you guys getting from Chicago to South Bend? I'm about to book my flight and would rather travel with you guys rather than alone :)

Edit:

My flight info:
American Airlines 2350
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Depart: 12:35 PM Dallas, TX (DFW)
Arrive: 2:45 PM Chicago, IL (ORD)

American Airlines 2357
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Depart: 9:25 PM Chicago, IL (ORD)
Arrive: 11:40 PM Dallas, TX (DFW)

I plan on taking the NICTD at 4:43PM from Millennium Station on Saturday.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ same with me if possible ill try to get a flight that arrives at a similar time so we could maybe split for a shuttle

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
^ same with me if possible ill try to get a flight that arrives at a similar time so we could maybe split for a shuttle
Sounds good. Once everyone posts their travel info, we can coordinate the details of travel. As far as hotel, I'm down for rooming with anyone. I'll prolly go ahead and book a room and we can figure out the details later.

I think we're taking a bus at around 4:30 to Southbend. I'm not sure on the details.
Is this the Greyhound bus at 4:30 for $30? There's a train that leaves at 4:43 that's only $12 though it takes an hour longer. I'm leaning toward the train since I may be on a budget - just got a root canal (barf) and some new tires for my ride so I've been on a spending spree lately...

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure... Ivan just said something about a method of getting there at around 4:30. I do like trains and saving money though.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Baka, John, Kevin, and I will be arriving at the Chicago Midway airport at around 1:30. Then we're meeting up with Ivan and catching CoachUSA to Notre Dame (I think). There's a group discout if you want to get in on that. We're probably taking a taxi from Notre Dame to the hotel. I'm not really sure what our schedule is for getting back to Chicago but our plane leaves for Houston at 9:25 pm.

Top Bottom