• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Official" Street Fighter topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
As I am noticing the many arguments about Street Fighter differences in the Melee Discussion room in topics, and MBR. I think this is where your debates and discussions on the many Street Fighters should go.

The games include the following: Street Fighters 2, Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Street fighter alpha 1-3, SF3, SFEX, and many others.

Starman

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this is off topic, but doesn't anyone beside me thinks Street Fighter III's grafix surpass Guilty Gear X's? Sure, GGX may have higher quality sprites and is built on a higher resolution level, but SFIII has better animation and the sprite quality is pretty good, although not GGX quality...

What I don't understand is why so many reviews have acclaimed GGX as the ultimate 2d grafix ever. I mean this is that game's #1 selling point!! Besides, SFIII has so much better gameplay also!! What gives?

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
To tell ya the truth, I really wasn't much on SFIII or Guilty Gear EX. I disliked them both, I prefer SFA3 over mostly everything.

spaz519

BRoomer
BRoomer
What is that lion in your sig from, sharkboy? It's kewl, and it's bugging me...

I played SFA3 at a friend's house a while ago. I was raised (in fighting games) on Smash, so the sloooow, restricted motion was too much for me, and I just settled for watching my button-mashing cousin (as Ryu) butcher the person who had about 2-3 weeks of practice. We had just heard of SFA3 when we came over...

But, as you may have seen in my MBR topic, I don't really like SF-esque games. Long Live The Smash!

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
First off, that isn't a lion. Its a wolf. He is Nanaki (Red XIII), a main character from Final Fantasy 7.

Anywho, what speed was he playing at? I have perfect reason to believe SFA3 and SSBM go the same speeds when SFA is on Turbo2. I aint biased to either, since I grew up on Street Fighter, but I love SSBM.

2 or 3 weeks, eh? A good player needs a solid 2-3 months to be any good, that explains why your brother whooped on him.

Starman

Smash Rookie
Huh? These console fighter things are above my head; I just head over to my local arcade and play....

So sharkboy, you don't like SFIII or Guilty Gear X? Well I can see you're not a new age 2d gamer ;) just kidding...

I don't prefer both of them over SFA series (especially SFA2), I mean parrying is too cheap for an average 2d fighting gamer like myself (watch my brother parry my Akuma's Gou Hadou in Double Impact), and GGX was too slooooooow and boring. It seems to be King of Fighters with the speed turned down to SFII so you can witness the incredibely static animations that rival that of Killer Instinct for SNES...

Speaking of King of Fighters, do you like that, or any other SNK fighters (Fatal Fury, Samarai Showdown, Capcom vs. Snk (does that count?), etc.)? Do you like any other 2d fighters in general? Or are you more of a Tekken fan? *shudders*... I'd like to hear your comments.....

Is it true you can't use Shin Akuma in official SF tournamenst? someone said that at the "unbalanced" thread in the general discussion (I'd wish I'd kept my mouth shut on that one...) I've never been to an official SF tournament, and I've only been to SSB tournaments in my local area, so I wouldn't know....

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
I think it is true, since Shin Akuma is considered to be a "cheap" character. He can fire multiple aerial fireballs, his Gou Hadou is a 32 hit combo I believe, and I think it kills instantly.

For 2D Fighters? I grew up on Alpha, Final Fight, the original Street fighter, and every once in a while, MK. I have played Samurai Showdown, and Fatal Fury, cause Terry is an awesome fighter.

Heck no, I am an old age 2d gamer. Some of the new games I dislike, but SFEX's next looks pretty cool.

wing zrow

Smash Lord
first of let me tell you guys that i'm a huge fighting game fan.I own a dreamcast just for the exclusive fighting games it has.

I playthese games

Capcom vrs snk 1 and 2

Marval vrs capcom 2

fatal fury fatal fury mark of the wolfs,ff1 ff2 ff3

Rival schools and project justice

Street fighter 2 turbo,super street fighter 2,street fighter alpha 3, street fighter 3 third strike.

King of fighters 95,and99

Samurai showdown 1

Starman

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I know what you mean, I love Final Fight :) , although SF II was a little too slow for me, I prefered Mortal Kombat 2 back then...

You like SF EX? Uhhh Ok... I hated it personally, gameplay was too choppy and it was a pain to look at...

SF EX Next? Oh do you mean that Capcom All Stars game they're making? Yeah, I saw the screenshots, and I've heard rumors that its already out in arcades... but I haven't seen it in my arcade. The chance to step into Haggars overalls again... I can hardly wait....:)

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Do you have screenshots for this? I must see... Does it have all the characters from most Capcom games? Like MM, Jill? People like that? That would rock. I must've been thinking about the game for the cube, C VS. SNK...

silky_slim

Smash Apprentice
Smoking on a fat J, a cube controller in my hands,
The Street Fighter series is one of the most important in the video games industry. A truly ground breaking series, and the very first game I can remember playing on my Commador 64. But truthly the series has been going down hill. Although I thourghly enjoyed MVC 2 on the D.C(I know its not directly SF but it has most of the characters), I haven't enjoyed any of the most recent incarnations on the PlayShiz2.

I think less of the 3-D graphics, and maybe some cel-shaded (groan, I know its been over used) flat screen graphics would be much better at bringing the SF series back into promance.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Some of that I agree with, go back to the old age 2D graphics we are used to. It ain't gonna hurt a thing.

But still, some of the 3D crap makes it more like Tekken, and thus makes it a competitor to its harder opposition.

Swordz

Smash Rookie
UP!
who cares if this is an old thread its Street Fighter dammit :D

When yall say shin akuma do u mean the one in A3? I thought he sucked anyway.... was he even in the arcade version? I dont remember him being there, let alone being banned. Even on home version, Japanese had Dee Jay as number one (well its not like anywhere else cared or played the home versions). If u mean ST then yeh akuma was banned.

If A3 looked slow then u must have the settings wrong or ure playing the home version which doesnt really do the game justice.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
.... I HAVE the home version. Are you calling me slow? Personally, I thought he sucked, I used the regular Akuma over him.

Swordz

Smash Rookie
haha i have the home version too but im saying the arcade version is better (v-ism isnt slowed down, some have no crouch cancels, weaken/tweaked characters). I was refering to the other guy that said A3 seemed too slow for him.

Akuma's too good.... but i cant do his **** VCs :(

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
I'd agree with ya, if I knew where I could find an arcade that has it around here. But I don't.

VC? I don't think I have heard of this term. If you mean his Gou Hadou, that is very simple.

Starman

Smash Rookie
Well sharkboy here's the gamespot gamespace for the Capcom All stars game, and looks like I heard right, it is out in arcades, Japan only:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,914530,00.html

I prefer the new Alpha and SFIII style of 2d graphics for SF, I mean hand drawn arcade graphics like Final Fight and SFII were OK back then, but now they are bleh. Of course, thats not true on all aspects, just look at CSOTN, it has hand drawn animation and sprite quality and rotational and scaling effects that still make my jaw drop, easily some of the best 2d graphix of all time.

I play the arcade version of SFA3, so I wouldn't know of tweaked characters or whatever in the home version, and v-sim seems just fine to me at the arcades. Shin Akuma wasn't in SFA3, he was in SFA2 and I don't know how you can say he sucks... I mean he has instant kill moves and devastating supers, and that more than makes up for his weak defense in SFA2....

VC? is that supposed to be V-ism combo?

SuperChencho

Smash Ace
*Warning: This is an illegal broadcast*

Why in the world did Capcom get stuck with Street Fighter II? Every other new version of SFII would still have the "II" plus some extra thing, like "Turbo" or "Super".

Nevertheless, I loved the series so much before Capcom went nuts. They stopped making SF games for Nintendo systems, and I felt a little disconnected when I found out it landed on PS.

Also, I don't understand why they opted to create the Alpha series. Sure, it's still good, but I think they should go back to the basics and start from there again. Maybe they'll find whatever is missing that's making the games sucky.

And another thing. The characters bios were really good, but with the different versions, anybody no longer cares about M. Bison conquering the world, Blanka finding his mother, or Chun-Li avenging her father. Now it's all about beating the stuff out of the other player. I miss the story.

Starman

Smash Rookie
Yes I hate Capcom for milking and messing up their franchises (take a look at Megaman), and I love them for making great games. MvsC2 featured the same Wolverine sprite I saw like 6 years ago on Xmen COTA, but it was still pretty fun.

SF games aren't meant to have a decent story (ala many platformers) they're are based on gameplay. If you want a half decent story and boring fighting play Guilty Gear X

Anthracks

Smash Rookie
This thread needs to be bumped... its Street Fighter, seriously. Does nobody here like it or something.
4 year bump WHOA!

Peaches

Smash Lord
. . . a 4-year bump?

lol. Well, I'm a big fan of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. It's my favorite fighting game at the moment. I use Makoto and Alex.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Greatest Fighting Game Series of All Time period. Although Starman's post is like from 2002, he doesn't know what he's talking about SF is the best fighting game. If you weren't there during 1991 when it all happened, you don't know how SF was like then.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
O.o I recently got 3rd Strike (well...Anniversary Edition :p) on my PS2, and I'm trying to get into the game. But the technical stuff is so hard on a gamepad, and my thumbs are killing me! I REALLY hope it's easier to do on an arcade stick.

I mean jesus, cancelling a C.MK into an MP Shoryuken into a special? I can't do that **** :(

rockman2k1

Smash Journeyman
Playing on a pad or a stick is all personal preference. Most people feel much more comfortable playing on a stick for most Capcom games, but there are a few that can play better on pad. I've seen it! heh

Also, I would assume you're using Ken from that post. Trying to buffer the shoryuken from a low forward would be kinda tricky at first (because you are not doing a 2-in-1) so you have to put in more execution just for a rather basic combo.

Anyways, if you are playing Ken, try close standing fierce, medium strength shoryuken, into his super. It's easier to 2-in-1, and you also have a decent amount of time to cancel the shoryuken into the super since the medium strength srk hits twice (the second hit knocks down). And the combo itself is rather good damage wise.

As for Necro, I don't play him, but you should use his SA 3 (or whatever super Electric Snake is) as there are many move that allow you to hit-comfirm. Also, if you opponent misses something that leaves him wide open for a serious combo, do QCF+Fierce punch, hold back, into medium strength kick, into QCF+medium strength punch, cancelled into Electric Snake. And if you're in the corner, you can hit the opponent with a light punch, if it connects it will flip your opponent so that you can do his special overhead attack (QCB+ any punch I believe) or if think your opponent is going to expect the overhead attack, do a neutral throw, which should allow you to hit your opponent agian with a air combo or something.

Just mess around with the above combo I told you about though, I know he's got a bit more going for him, but agian, I don't play him, just things that I've seen with him. Maybe someone can be of better help.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
As for Necro, I don't play him, but you should use his SA 3 (or whatever super Electric Snake is) as there are many move that allow you to hit-comfirm. Also, if you opponent misses something that leaves him wide open for a serious combo, do QCF+Fierce punch, hold back, into medium strength kick, into QCF+medium strength punch, cancelled into Electric Snake. And if you're in the corner, you can hit the opponent with a light punch, if it connects it will flip your opponent so that you can do his special overhead attack (QCB+ any punch I believe) or if think your opponent is going to expect the overhead attack, do a neutral throw, which should allow you to hit your opponent agian with a air combo or something.
lol, you don't play with him, and it shows. :p

I use Electric Snake, but I think I'll have to experiment with Magnetic Storm against Yun & Chun Li.

The move you're referring to is HCF+FP, not QCF. It's mostly a punish move, or a move to put in after a parry on a very laggy move. Otherwise I'd rather just do back+MK -> hcf+mp xx SA3, or c.lk -> jab dempa xx SA3.

In the corner, you can grab, against some chars you can jab/strong/db-fierce punch them before they land.
Some you can even db-fierce and jab for the reset.
I know you can do 6 db fierce against Urien, but most I got was 4.
Also, after an SA3, you can do jab electric, db fierce, jab reset.
You can also do db fierce, back strong, db fierce, back strong, db fierce as a stun combo on makoto and ish.
I need more combos though to expand my variety.

Oh, UOH into SA3 works as well.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
You can currently download Street Fighter II for the Wii at the moment. I also have a Street Fighter machine in my basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom