• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official stage counterpick help

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
Well i see every other other guide has an intro soooo... here i go >_<

i grew up in a log cabin >_> , na im just a kirby lover ever since i played kirby's dreamland for gameboy.... been hooked ever since.

this thread started as a help thread for me to learn counterpicks against snake, DK, and DDD cus i play against the gayest people there is with those characters lol

If anyone has thoughts about good counterpicks please share your thoughts, as long as u have something to back up ur claim

With that said i might as well get into it

in order to counterpick a stage against a character, you must know the character's strengths/weaknesses. Therefore i will need to know counterpicks from various places >_<

Bowser:

Capt. Falcon:

Diddy Kong:

Donkey Kong:

Falco:

Fox:

Game and Watch:

Ganondorf:

Ice Climbers:

Ike:

Jigglypuff:

King DeDeDe:

Kirby:

Link:

Lucario:

Lucas:

Luigi:

Mario:

Marth:

Metaknight:

Ness:

Olimar:

Peach:

Pikachu:

Pit:

Pokemon Trainer:

R.O.B.:

Samus:

Shiek:

Snake:

Sonic:

Toon Link:

Wario:

Wolf:

Yoshi:

Zelda:

Zero Suit Samus:

i also need help to know what counter picks are legal in your areas... like new york has jungle japes as a legal counterpick... as far as im aware... we are the only place that has it legal.. help will be much appreciated =]

Right now thats all imma do cus im running late for a weekly >_< will write more when i get home

Arcanejazz

Smash Apprentice
which DK? lmao. Diddy or Donkey? Sometimes abbreviating everything isnt worth it, lol.

Dedede: Avoid stages with walkoff edges (like bridge of eldin) a good dedede will chain throw you into oblivion, lol.

Snake: There is no hope. -.- Snake is a beast, and it really doesnt matter what stage youre on. Maybe a place where the platforms are a good height for you, like battlefield. personally, against a snake, i might pick lylat. the tilting stage has a slight chance of messing with snakes recovery, and i like that the platforms are aligned together.

but thats just me.

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
which DK? lmao. Diddy or Donkey? Sometimes abbreviating everything isnt worth it, lol.

Dedede: Avoid stages with walkoff edges (like bridge of eldin) a good dedede will chain throw you into oblivion, lol.

Snake: There is no hope. -.- Snake is a beast, and it really doesnt matter what stage youre on. Maybe a place where the platforms are a good height for you, like battlefield. personally, against a snake, i might pick lylat. the tilting stage has a slight chance of messing with snakes recovery, and i like that the platforms are aligned together.

but thats just me.
deffinately donkey kong.... playing bum isnt easy

umm against dedede.... he cant chaingrab a kirby >_> besides the bridge is banned in tournament

and against a snake, like come on man, there is always a chance.... platform stages with snake is heaven

anyone else have any suggestions?

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Having trouble with DK and Dedede? Aren't they supposed to be some of Kirby's best matchups?

Anyway...stages with far-off walls help. I belive Frigate Orpheon has pretty far walls, am I right?

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
Having trouble with DK and Dedede? Aren't they supposed to be some of Kirby's best matchups?

Anyway...stages with far-off walls help. I belive Frigate Orpheon has pretty far walls, am I right?
well not really... dk and kirby are pretty even, playing the best dk ever is hard as hell cus he can kill him very quickly

and a smart dedede will get back throws on you alot, thats 16 damage each throw T-T that match is even as well, could go either way

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Because of kirby's good aerials I would say that any stage that has platforms is nice simply because you can hang below them and hit aerials through the stage at an opponent above.

Specific stages I can think of are battlefield, lylat cruise and maybe yoshi story (brawl version).

Smashville works fine as well but the platform moves.

All in all, kirby doesn't really have that many "uber" stages because he doesn't have many broken aspects that would cause a stage change to become awesomely in his advantage, at the same time, he doesn't really have many(any?) stages that he fails at.

Job

Smash Cadet
I started using Kirby as a secondary/main before UCLA but here are my suggestions.

Against D3, I know it sounds crazy but Luigi's mansion. Yeah, a map that is also very good for D3 cause of the flat ground but here me out. When the house is not destroyed try to be under part of the 2nd floor. Approach D3 cautiously then do any setup to get D3 with your up-tilt. If you are under the roof he'll be stuck and you can just keep him up there with your up-tilt to like 80% and then let him fall and finish with fsmash.

Snake if possible at the tournament, Rainbow Cruise. Never tried it with Kirby but I just know it's one of Snake's worst stages.

For me, I really haven't played on much but I think Kirby's most advantageous stage would be Green greens. There are a couple of things that Kirby can use to his/hers advantage. The distance of the sides is pretty short. Get your opponent to like 60% or something percent suck them up, walk off the edge on either side and when you see yourself in the circle spit them out. They'll be shot to death usually. Using the blocks that are bombs, get your opponent between you and the blocks, then get the right distance and start your jabs. When your flash-jabs come out they should have the right distance to hit the bombs and you won't get hurt at all. Did it to a metaknight at 30% for the kill. Another I think is a possible pseudo-infinite. Trap the opponent with the tip of your f-tilt against the blocks repeatedly. That might work, but I messed up after 10 hits so I don't actually know.

Sorry about the wall of text.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
The Warioware stage is pretty good, but I love that level so much due to its craziness. But overall, I agree with Kasai's comment about Kirby not having really good/bad stages.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Lylat and Battlefield seems better, but i think that a gameplay change will be more useful against D3 and DK than simply use a certain stage. anyway, use stages with platforms..

for me MK is worse than anyone to counter with Kirby, MK's UpB is a complete **** -.-

secretcode

Smash Cadet
NNID
Secretcod
3DS FC
2337-3743-8226
Jungle Japes is a great stage for Kirby still, just like as it was in Melee. Lylat Cruise is good, jus don't use Rock Kirby on the left and right edges as it is sloped, and could lead to unfortunate suicides.

And these stages don't really matter for Kirby... It only depends on the character you are fighting. Let's say you are Fighting ROB. Most ROB players mix between long and short distance combat. On Luigi's Mansion, The many floors of the stage can be used as set-ups against ROB as he tries to go to your level.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
When I pick Kirby, Yellow FTW, I have good results no matter the opponent on Halberd, Castle Siege, New Port Town, Yoshi Story, and Smashville, Also Distant Planet....

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
^I have heard good stuff about Halberd and Castle Siege.

Hmm...does Kirby have any bad stages? 'Cause then counterpicking would just be about finding a stage your opponent's character is bad on.

...playing the best dk ever is hard as hell cus he can kill him very quickly
Playing the best anyone is hard as hell...

T-nuts

Smash Ace
yea for some reason i always do really well with kirby on halberd. makes no sense to me though. umm for snake i know he could camp well on final destination, but the edges of the level COULD gimp his recovery...

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Without a doubt the two best counterpick stages 4 Kirby are, Rainbow Cruise and Luigi's mansion.

Why Rainbow cruise, as we all know no one can escape neutral A when against a wall with out first taking 30-50% damage. There are two opportunities for this during Rainbow cruise. Second Upgrab lands on the highest platform, therefore an upgrab at low damage can kill

Why Luigi's Mansion, The pillars block all projectiles, the platforms allow for excellent uptilting, u can use them to tech when hit, i've lived to almost 300% on luigi's mansion which was long enough to beat my ROB opponent. Best of all the edge is so perfect for stage assisted kills.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah gonzo, Luigi's mansion is a great stage, i have forgot him, Kirby can combo with Utilt and Uair in the roof, i killed an Ike easily in this stage

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Without a doubt the two best counterpick stages 4 Kirby are, Rainbow Cruise and Luigi's mansion.

Why Rainbow cruise, as we all know no one can escape neutral A when against a wall with out first taking 30-50% damage. There are two opportunities for this during Rainbow cruise. Second Upgrab lands on the highest platform, therefore an upgrab at low damage can kill

Why Luigi's Mansion, The pillars block all projectiles, the platforms allow for excellent uptilting, u can use them to tech when hit, i've lived to almost 300% on luigi's mansion which was long enough to beat my ROB opponent. Best of all the edge is so perfect for stage assisted kills.
You forgot to mention that characters like Pit can't escape from your edgeguarding by flying under the stage ^.^
But yeah I think kirby does pretty well on all stages against other characters that are similar pick one of those two stages but if you can pick a stage where they have a big disadvantage pick that instead as kirby can do rather well anywhere and has a few tricks on most of the counterpick stages.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
You forgot to mention that characters like Pit can't escape from your edgeguarding by flying under the stage ^.^
But yeah I think kirby does pretty well on all stages against other characters that are similar pick one of those two stages but if you can pick a stage where they have a big disadvantage pick that instead as kirby can do rather well anywhere and has a few tricks on most of the counterpick stages.
This is GOnzo under my friend's profile

Thats tru, i think the worst stage for Kirby is Norfair, he really doesn't get any advantages and there isn't much stage for him to spike against. But Yoshi's story is the one i ban b/c u can't stage spike

Job

Smash Cadet
Green greens you can go aggressive, force the opponent to the sides of the stage, suck them up and fall to at least when your body is even to the bottom of the ground and shoot. Instant kills. Dirty, but instant.

Eten

Smash Ace
Kirby has no real bad stages, he's too flexible. Although stages which people can get caught under for when you inhale and spit them out under the stage are better. I agree that Luigi's mansion is Kirby's best overall.

I like the ability, since Kirby is very flexible, is to choose stages which just really bother your opponent. Rainbow cruise against Snake is a really good idea. But what stage is good for counterpicking against meta-knight?

Job

Smash Cadet
Actually never mind about the spitting kills on green greens. Tried it again but the walls are longer than I thought. I guess the di is what I forgot to take into consideration.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
i love how ppl are saying lylat when it was one of the worst stages for kirby in Melee except at the back end of ship. Go Pkmn Stadium 1 or Halberd. Smashville isnt always good b/c of the upper platform and people being able to survive off of it. Yoshi's is pretty good actually.

Eten

Smash Ace
haha
Lylat wasn't in melee
You're thinking of corneria

Lylat is the fancy backround, 3 platforming tiling and probably considered neutral stage.

RedfishX

Smash Cadet
haha
Lylat wasn't in melee
You're thinking of corneria

Lylat is the fancy backround, 3 platforming tiling and probably considered neutral stage.
In the stage discussion, it's either way. Most people agree that only Yoshi's Island, BF, FD, and Smashville are Neutral. This one person made it a Neutral-Counterpick Limbo. That was the weirdest stage ban list I've ever seen but it actually made sense.

ANYHOW...

I agree with the NO WALK-OFF LEDGES idea. Kirby's recovery...is not run-based.

I would choose something you are comfortable with. Personally, I believe Kirby does great at Battlefield, and nobody ever said you can't counter a Neutral :laugh:

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity what stage do you guys normally ban? For me it is corneria just cause I don't like the idea of being able to die super early off the top and that the walls are close in as well making kirbys edgeguarding awesomeness less of an advantage.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Corneria too, and i was rethinking about some stages, Battlefield is a good deal.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I ban Yoshi story every time, y the edge gice Kirby a huge disadvantage, u can't spit people under the stage and the stage's curvy floor allows characters to get out of Kirby's combos sometimes

Lylat is actually good for us can we can use neutral A against the wall, upthrow and upsmash on the top of the stage and the stage is perfect for StarShot Stage Spike, its to bad they ban it where i am

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I think Lylat is one of the better stages for Kirby, simply because his up-tilts/Smashes can reach the upper platforms and taller characters peak over the upper platforms.
And when the whole ship is tilted, Kirby's Rock will slide to safety!

Sakki

Smash Cadet
I think one of the awesome things about kirby is that he's versatile and really doesnt have any stage that really puts him at any real disadvantage, except for maybe Yoshi's story like Gonzo said.

I personally like stages like Delfino Plaza and Halberd because of the ability to attack from below the stage. But yea, platforms are my kirby's friends.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
wtf r u serious? battlefield is one of the worst places for kirby

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
if you can go to jungle japes. only if youi can though. the ceiling is so high you live way long. its outstanding.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has a tough time getting out of the water on Japes though, so you have to be really careful around the ledges.

Why do you think Battlefield is bad for Kirby chingy? He can pressure platforms really well, spit under the stage, and with his multiple jumps he doesn't have to land on platforms as much and can just retreat to the edge.

Halberd and Delfino you can drop from the ledge and swallow through the stage once you get them used to blocking Uairs from under the stage.

GeekY

Smash Cadet
havent read through all the posts. so forgive me if i say ..
rainbow cruise. rack up damage on the boat.. the first platform you see[ next to the sinking boat ]
grab him and up throw. you'll hit a CARPET, or a platform. and unless they can DI crazy,
its pretty much KO.

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
i havent been in my thread for a long time lol.... but it looks like alot of people have different ideas on kirby counterpicks.... so im thinking on making this thread into an offical kirby stage counterpick thread. what do you guys think?

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Counterpicking is very character dependant, you would probably want to make a list based on characters kirby is playing against.

Top Bottom