• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official P:M Pit Video/Gameplay Critique Thread

Conti

Smash Ace
Yeah it seems there isn't an official thread for Pit Players to post their gameplays on here, so i figured to make one because honestly.

So I really really need alot of help with my Pit If someone like @CT ZeRo or anyone with alot of high level Pit Experiance could check this out it would really be appreciated. My Pit has been falling off alot lately and i struggle to win verse alot of people [compaired to my other main, Diddy who is becoming more of a comfort pick then my Pit]
I still want to keep a strong Pit in my pocket and if anyone could give me some advice it would mean alot.

I'm tired of placing 4th-5th [sometimes hardcore chokes/matchup issues and ill get 9th] outta 20-30 people. It would mean alot if u guys could get my pit on the same skill level as my diddy [I used diddy as my primary main for the 1st time last weekend and placed 1st/2nd at two small locals i hosted this weekend, doing alot better verse the top player there compaired to the week before where he would 3stock my pit, but i still want pit under my roster for matchups like DK, Bowser, FastFallers and Marth n a few others]

All i have captured of my Pits Gameplay is these friendly matches against Gohans Roy. Next week i will definately try to get more Pit Gameplay up against other characters and players.
Thanks for reading and helping out! Also post videos and i'll try to give some of my opinion but honestly, i don't have enough information about this game to give 100% positive opinions on how to play better. I myself, still am having trouble breaking barriers with Pit.

TPL | ContiBeastMode (Pit) Vs Gohan (Roy) [Friendlies]
http://www.twitch.tv/portallounge/c/5254250

Last edited:

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
Twitch link didn't work but the match was on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_A-W481Ko

First off, I noticed that when you grabbed near the ledge, you often times chose to back-throw the opponent. Objectively speaking, that sets up for an edgeguard, but every time after you threw them, you couldn't follow up nor did you edgeguard them. Your edgeguarding is not at the level to where B-Throwing them to start an edgeguard situation is beneficial to you. Take for example 9:20. You grab Roy when he's at like 104%. He's done for! Just D-Throw and B-Air and that's a stock! But instead you B-Throw him, and he makes it back on stage with little effort. Not only that, but another botched edgeguard that very same stock results in him killing you while he's at 150+. I'm not judging you as a player, but when I saw your B-Throw there, I literally shouted at the screen, "NO!". I'm not the best player by any means and I don't normally react like that, but that was a really bad decision you made if it elicited such a response from me. Just work on knowing your throw follow-ups, that's all/

Your arrows need need work as well; many times I saw you shoot an arrow and not even attempt to try and hit them with it. That's not helping you because an opponent can catch on and realize that you're not really trying to hit them with your projectile. They'll be less restricted by it, effectively nullifying the whole point of using arrows in neutral.

Your mid-combo arrows need some work too. Get used to running and gunning. When you get them off you seem to do well enough.

You can loop your arrows pretty well from what I saw, but don't abuse that. It looks damn cool when it works, but it often times has little to no benefit. Like at 1:20, you looped an arrow that did a whopping 0% and Roy killed you no sweat right afterwards. What benefit did that arrow have vs. running away or repositioning? These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

He killed you a lot with Neutral-B so yea... =/

You also have a habit of going off the stage when you run away from an opponent, and either jump back on, or glide and attack to attempt to return to the stage. Stop that. It's super easy to get hit out of your glides and jumps, especially when you are playing against an opponent with a disjoint as large as Roy's. If you jump offstage and attempt to glide back on without touching the ground, all Roy has to do is pivot F-Tilt, raw F-Smash, RAR B-Air or SH N-Air and you go offstage with one less jump and NO glide. A very bad situation that should have never happened if you were to either pivot shield (grab) or utilize the platforms more effectively.

Similar to that, you panic glide when you get knocked deep offstage. Instead of using your jumps first to recover, you glide back. If you were to get hit out of that glide, you'd be sent farther away because you were hit offstage with a higher % than before (not even accounting for the fact that an opponent would now be hounding the side of the stage, making the position you're getting hit relatively further away from center stage). Basically, use your jumps to recover and only use your glide after your jumps run out.

Practice U-Air to Up-B more. You have the general idea, but it doesn't work out. Just grind in the lab and you'll get those U-Air strings down =]

To instantly improve your edgeguard game in general, grab the ledge more often, and understand the timings of when to let go of it or roll onstage. A lot of the time, you seem to stay on stage far enough away to let you properly punish an opponent before they grab the ledge. Maybe you're attempting to space out their options AFTER they grab ledge?

You're very good at judging when to regrab your opponent after you D-Throw them, and you're good at catching them in the air with a grab as well. =D

Abuse Pit's CC D-Tilt. It's so good man. CCing is kinda broken in PM to begin with, but Pit's D-Tilt beats out SO many other moves with it's hitbox angle.

You don't dashdance much. D= please improve on that at least!

Overall: All the games were close. You don't even main Pit, so good work.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Yeah it seems there isn't an official thread for Pit Players to post their gameplays on here, so i figured to make one because honestly.

So I really really need alot of help with my Pit If someone like @CT ZeRo or anyone with alot of high level Pit Experiance could check this out it would really be appreciated. My Pit has been falling off alot lately and i struggle to win verse alot of people [compaired to my other main, Diddy who is becoming more of a comfort pick then my Pit]
I still want to keep a strong Pit in my pocket and if anyone could give me some advice it would mean alot.

I'm tired of placing 4th-5th [sometimes hardcore chokes/matchup issues and ill get 9th] outta 20-30 people. It would mean alot if u guys could get my pit on the same skill level as my diddy [I used diddy as my primary main for the 1st time last weekend and placed 1st/2nd at two small locals i hosted this weekend, doing alot better verse the top player there compaired to the week before where he would 3stock my pit, but i still want pit under my roster for matchups like DK, Bowser, FastFallers and Marth n a few others]

All i have captured of my Pits Gameplay is these friendly matches against Gohans Roy. Next week i will definately try to get more Pit Gameplay up against other characters and players.
Thanks for reading and helping out! Also post videos and i'll try to give some of my opinion but honestly, i don't have enough information about this game to give 100% positive opinions on how to play better. I myself, still am having trouble breaking barriers with Pit.

TPL | ContiBeastMode (Pit) Vs Gohan (Roy) [Friendlies]
http://www.twitch.tv/portallounge/c/5254250
I just want to say Pit is like Jigglypuff. Edgeguarding is easy if you go offstage and fair or bair.
Edgeguards like the one at 10:40 is what you should strive for.
Honestly your Pit is good but you make punishable decisions. Like full hop double fairing back to back or jumping off the ledge to shoot arrows.
You also don't seem to carry people to their death.
Example is a dair at the edge and following up with a fair while you opponnt is offstage.( he/she is terrified now and will DI in out of fear.) this means jump and fair again,repeat and glide back to safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuAM5ynx9s at 11:15 is sorta an example of this

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
Twitch link didn't work but the match was on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_A-W481Ko

First off, I noticed that when you grabbed near the ledge, you often times chose to back-throw the opponent. Objectively speaking, that sets up for an edgeguard, but every time after you threw them, you couldn't follow up nor did you edgeguard them. Your edgeguarding is not at the level to where B-Throwing them to start an edgeguard situation is beneficial to you. Take for example 9:20. You grab Roy when he's at like 104%. He's done for! Just D-Throw and B-Air and that's a stock! But instead you B-Throw him, and he makes it back on stage with little effort. Not only that, but another botched edgeguard that very same stock results in him killing you while he's at 150+. I'm not judging you as a player, but when I saw your B-Throw there, I literally shouted at the screen, "NO!". I'm not the best player by any means and I don't normally react like that, but that was a really bad decision you made if it elicited such a response from me. Just work on knowing your throw follow-ups, that's all/

Your arrows need need work as well; many times I saw you shoot an arrow and not even attempt to try and hit them with it. That's not helping you because an opponent can catch on and realize that you're not really trying to hit them with your projectile. They'll be less restricted by it, effectively nullifying the whole point of using arrows in neutral.

Your mid-combo arrows need some work too. Get used to running and gunning. When you get them off you seem to do well enough.

You can loop your arrows pretty well from what I saw, but don't abuse that. It looks damn cool when it works, but it often times has little to no benefit. Like at 1:20, you looped an arrow that did a whopping 0% and Roy killed you no sweat right afterwards. What benefit did that arrow have vs. running away or repositioning? These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

He killed you a lot with Neutral-B so yea... =/

You also have a habit of going off the stage when you run away from an opponent, and either jump back on, or glide and attack to attempt to return to the stage. Stop that. It's super easy to get hit out of your glides and jumps, especially when you are playing against an opponent with a disjoint as large as Roy's. If you jump offstage and attempt to glide back on without touching the ground, all Roy has to do is pivot F-Tilt, raw F-Smash, RAR B-Air or SH N-Air and you go offstage with one less jump and NO glide. A very bad situation that should have never happened if you were to either pivot shield (grab) or utilize the platforms more effectively.

Similar to that, you panic glide when you get knocked deep offstage. Instead of using your jumps first to recover, you glide back. If you were to get hit out of that glide, you'd be sent farther away because you were hit offstage with a higher % than before (not even accounting for the fact that an opponent would now be hounding the side of the stage, making the position you're getting hit relatively further away from center stage). Basically, use your jumps to recover and only use your glide after your jumps run out.

Practice U-Air to Up-B more. You have the general idea, but it doesn't work out. Just grind in the lab and you'll get those U-Air strings down =]

To instantly improve your edgeguard game in general, grab the ledge more often, and understand the timings of when to let go of it or roll onstage. A lot of the time, you seem to stay on stage far enough away to let you properly punish an opponent before they grab the ledge. Maybe you're attempting to space out their options AFTER they grab ledge?

You're very good at judging when to regrab your opponent after you D-Throw them, and you're good at catching them in the air with a grab as well. =D

Abuse Pit's CC D-Tilt. It's so good man. CCing is kinda broken in PM to begin with, but Pit's D-Tilt beats out SO many other moves with it's hitbox angle.

You don't dashdance much. D= please improve on that at least!

Overall: All the games were close. You don't even main Pit, so good work.
Thank you for the harsh review :p
I will go into deep review and try to get rid of all these scrub habits
I am a Pit Main (Im a Pit/Diddy Main in Brawl (Pit was my 1st brawl main/character i even picked for over a year) and P:M and Smash4 {well DarkPit in Smash4}) and its just Diddy was my competetive main in brawl for most of brawl because of MK mainly, so i got alot more experiance with him in and it carried over to this game [i mained Pit for 6months before even touching diddy in P:M, but in 2 months my diddy is already better then my pit and thats unacceptable imo, i want to have both characters at strong skill levels, but i was being too gimmicky with pit cuz i just didnt know what to do, now i have alot more insight and i'll try to step my pit game up this week]
P.s. i will do my best to improve arrows but its just, i suck at actually aiming them straightish, im very good at controlling long curves, i gotta break that barrier.
Thanks much tho ^_^

Top Bottom