• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Luigi Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

he said that yea I think luigi stays as an unlockable he was unlockable in all 3 he was only introduced because of luigis 30th aniversary
To be a bit fair, it would be a bit odd if Luigi wasn't announced during his year. However, I do see them announcing other unlockable characters like Marth eventually (with the release of SMT X FE) as a part of this whole announcing characters near specific release dates thing (New Leaf for The Villager, Pikmin 3 (JP) for Olimar, and Dream Team (US) for Luigi).

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Luigi is bigger? In the Luigi/Samus/Link he's bigger than Link itself... weird.

Other thing, in the "Pikmin in tree", who cut the tree? The other part is falling so the tree can be cuted by anyone atack (like a Pikmin throw on this case) ?
That image really tricks me

D

Deleted member

He's probably gonna be my new main, next to C.Falcon.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, Luigi has always been one of the easiest characters to unlock, so whether or not he's going to be unlockable really wouldn't matter that much.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Pretty much this.

In terms of a moveset, I think that the Poltergust 5000 works as a grab rather than a special move. If Luigi doesn't have the Luigi Cyclone or Green Missile, his recovery would be hampered. I personally can't see much use of the Poltergust 5000 in terms of fighting or combat outside of a grab. Other than that, I'm fine with his moveset really.

Other things relating to Luigi that I would love to see are the original Luigi's Mansion be a stage in the Wii U version (it will be a returning Brawl stage) and a Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon stage on the 3DS version.

remember dedede in brawl. he had inhale and it wasnt a grab

why cant the poltergust function the same?
and his recovery is fine. he doesnt need the cyclone, like mario doesnt really have any recovery abilities besides his SJP and cape stalling.

what if luigi could use the poltergust like villager uses pocket. although it would probably only pickup solid projectiles. energy attacks would just go right through.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

and his recovery is fine. he doesnt need the cyclone, like mario doesnt really have any recovery abilities besides his SJP and cape stalling.

what if luigi could use the poltergust like villager uses pocket. although it would probably only pickup solid projectiles. energy attacks would just go right through.

Except Inhale is one of Dedede's signature moves through the series.

Luigi's recovery is kind of messy, in the sense he can go only straight up with SJP or straight forward with Green Missile. Both Luigi Cyclone and Mario Tornado help their recoveries vastly.

D

Deleted member

Inhale works very different from a grab.

I think that most would be disappointed if the Poltergust was the exact same as Inhale because we all know that it shouldn't really function like Inhale and be used in more creative ways. While I do like the idea of the Poltergust being similar to The Villager grabbing and throwing projectiles, that would sacrifice one of Luigi's special moves.

While the Luigi Cyclone isn't entirely needed, it's one key move that makes Luigi unique from Mario. Not only that, but it's pretty crucial for recovering. Luigi can only go horizontally with the Green Missile and the Super Jump Punch can go vertically. While that sounds good, Luigi's recovery would be AWFUL without the Luigi Cyclone; Mario's recovery is horrendous without the Mario Tornado. So, I think that by just simply pressing the grab button to use the Poltergust is the best thing to do. It would help show off a part of Luigi's character while not adding too many nerfs.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Inhale works very different from a grab.

I think that most would be disappointed if the Poltergust was the exact same as Inhale because we all know that it shouldn't really function like Inhale and be used in more creative ways. While I do like the idea of the Poltergust being similar to The Villager grabbing and throwing projectiles, that would sacrifice one of Luigi's special moves.

While the Luigi Cyclone isn't entirely needed, it's one key move that makes Luigi unique from Mario. Not only that, but it's pretty crucial for recovering. Luigi can only go horizontally with the Green Missile and the Super Jump Punch can go vertically. While that sounds good, Luigi's recovery would be AWFUL without the Luigi Cyclone; Mario's recovery is horrendous without the Mario Tornado. So, I think that by just simply pressing the grab button to use the Poltergust is the best thing to do. It would help show off a part of Luigi's character while not adding too many nerfs.
The appeal of Luigi is that he's similar to Mario in appearance, but his mechanics are wildly different. On first glance he appears to be a Mario clone, but he's pretty much a completely different character. The poltergust would reflect that far better than the cyclone now that the tornado is no longer Mario's down-B, and the Poltergust is far more relevant to Luigi than FLUDD is to Mario. The Poltergust has been in two games, which are far more important to Luigi than Sunshine was to Mario (Which was, in the grand scheme of things, just another Mario game)

In regards to his recovery, they could just, you know... give him a better recovery? Maybe?

D

Deleted member

The appeal of Luigi is that he's similar to Mario in appearance, but his mechanics are wildly different. On first glance he appears to be a Mario clone, but he's pretty much a completely different character. The poltergust would reflect that far better than the cyclone now that the tornado is no longer Mario's down-B, and the Poltergust is far more relevant to Luigi than FLUDD is to Mario. The Poltergust has been in two games, which are far more important to Luigi than Sunshine was to Mario (Which was, in the grand scheme of things, just another Mario game)

In regards to his recovery, they could just, you know... give him a better recovery? Maybe?
Of course. I understand. While I do see the appeal of the Poltergust being a down special move, I can't see it how it can be used. It would reflect Luigi just fine and I would welcome it in arms since I LOVE the Luigi's Mansion games, I can't think of how it would be used as a special move (though The Villager idea that another user made where Luigi could use it to suck up projectiles and use them against his opponents would work fine). I want to see the Poltergust but I don't know how it would be used. In due time we'll see...

However, I am willing to listen to other people's opinions and listening to their ideas how the Poltergust can be used.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Something I noticed.

In Super Smash Bros Brawl, Luigi has the bottoms of his pant legs rolled up.

He has them rolled down in SSB4.

I kinda liked how they were in Brawl. I guess he got some overalls that fit him better?

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Of course. I understand. While I do see the appeal of the Poltergust being a down special move, I can't see it how it can be used. It would reflect Luigi just fine and I would welcome it in arms since I LOVE the Luigi's Mansion games, I can't think of how it would be used as a special move (though The Villager idea that another user made where Luigi could use it to suck up projectiles and use them against his opponents would work fine). I want to see the Poltergust but I don't know how it would be used. In due time we'll see...

However, I am willing to listen to other people's opinions and listening to their ideas how the Poltergust can be used.
I always though it'd be cool if Luigi's Grabs and Throws used the Poltergust. He could suck them up and move around a bit then shoot them out.

D

Deleted member

I always though it'd be cool if Luigi's Grabs and Throws used the Poltergust. He could suck them up and move around a bit then shoot them out.
That's my idea for how the Poltergust would work in Smash Bros. If the Poltergust appears in SSB4, I would be ecstatic, but I would hope that it was a grab more than a special move.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i can see the poltergust being used as a grab in the sense that lucarios side special is also a grab.
its just that when you release, it would have powerful horizontal trajectory.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what kind of Move Variations are you looking forward to? I'm hoping that there's a Green Missile that will always misfire. That would be pretty fun.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I already know this character is going to be a lot better in this game. While his approach options will always remain limited, the new hitstun is gonna be a boon to Luigi here. Tinkering around in Brawl led me to finding a lot of easy Luigi combos, so I'm going to combine that with this game's hitstun and say that Luigi is gonna have a much easier time doing things when he gets in.

Donyoku

Greed
Green Missile being a misfire each time is already been denied as a possibility from the 3DS preview. Unless it is changed before the finial release that wont be the case. And based on the hitstun in Smash 4 and the Luigi Demo it looks like he will have more combo potential than in Brawl but, at this point there is still no telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom