• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Little Mac for SSBB" Thread (SNES Mac, not NES)

parrothead

Smash Lord
I'm not the only one who admires SNES Mac more than NES Mac, kirby_fox and FlipTroopa also admire the SNES Mac more than the NES Mac.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I can't admire the SNES Mac over the NES Mac because I refuse to refer to the SNES boxer as Little Mac. He's whatever I want to call him! EA YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING AGAIN!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The SNES Mac is the official one. Not saying it's the one they'll go with, but it IS. It's the one EA used, and the team that made Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out admitted that the redesign was for a serious reason: to not make him look like a prancing ninny.

NES Little Mac is small, boring. There's no pronounced features to the face or hair. So for Super, they redesigned him to be more unique, proportioned, and, of course, more "appealing" to an international audience. Let's be honest... The whole black dude training a lanky italian looking guy thing is pretty much done. In New York City, no less. The SNES version gets rid of the expected and just does straight up "lol, let's BOX!"

It pulls the character further away from being just a simple Rocky knockoff

icymatt

Smash Lord
I actually have a Super NES game flier with what I guess is an early shot of Super Punch-Out!!. The main character in that shot actually looked more like the NES Little Mac. It's really weird.

And really, it's up to Sakurai to figure out what look to use.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
More than likely he's going to use the most RECENT look (Pit for example), so the Super Punch-Out!! version of Mac is most likely I think.
We can also refer to Wario, Samus, Link, Mario, Pikachu, and Meta Knight for that :laugh:

Wario as in Wario Ware
Samus as in Prime
Link as in TP
Mario as in Galaxy
Pikachu as in Battle Revolution
Meta Knight as in Magical Mirror/Air Ride

Too bad Snake appears in MGS2 form (though that's probably because that IS the last time we see "Solid Snake")

icymatt

Smash Lord
Has the SNES guy ever been called 'Little Mac' outside Fight Night? Everything I read about it says that he was billed this incorrectly, and I know he was never given an actual name in Super Punch-Out!!

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

If any of you still think the SNES boxer is nameless, even after Nintendo named him "Little Mac" or "Mac", THINK AGAIN!

Mr. Game & Watch was nameless before Nintendo named him "Mr. Game & Watch" in SSBM.

icymatt

Smash Lord
*BUMP*
If any of you still think the SNES boxer is nameless, even after Nintendo named him "Little Mac" or "Mac", THINK AGAIN!
I've never heard Nintendo refer to him as Little Mac, only EA has ever refered to him as Little Mac.

I'm only making a big deal about this because I'm a Super Punch-Out!! fan who doesn't like misinformation about one of my favorite games being spread.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Nintendo and EA teamed up to develop the GCN version, by adding the SNES Super Punch-Out!! and SNES Mac. EA did not name him "Little Mac", Nintendo named him, because Nintendo owns him. Why did they choose this boxer instead of NES Mac? Because SNES Mac's look is more detailed than the NES Mac, so it can be easier for EA to design his 3D look (which became awful, but Nintendo can do better than that). Also, like most confirmed characters in SSBB, they chose the most recent look of Little Mac. Pit's SSBB look isn't a remake, it is based on his appearance in the Game Boy Kid Icarus title. Solid Snake's appearance is based on his appearance in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, because that is his most recent appearance on a Nintendo console. Sakurai isn't searching for the most popular characters, he is searching for the most unique ones.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I thought they included the SNES boxer in Fight Night over NES Mac because Super Punch-Out!! was the secret game in Fight Night? It might've been NES Mac if Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was included.

parrothead

Smash Lord
They wouldn't bring back Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, because Mike Tyson's contract with Nintendo was expired and was never renewed, he bit A.J.'s ears off during their boxing match, and Mike retired from his boxing. Also, Nintendo rereleased Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, just titled as "Punch-Out!!", while they switched Mike Tyson with Mr. Dream. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! is not the very first of the Punch-Out!! franchise. Here is a list of all Punch-Out!! titles, from the first to the most recent:

Punch-Out!! arcade
Super Punch-Out!! arcade
Game & Watch Boxing (later released as "Punch-Out!!")
Arm Wrestling (spin-off)
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Punch-Out!! (featuring Mr. Dream)
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)

burrito

Smash Lord
Solid Snake's appearance is based on his appearance in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, because that is his most recent appearance on a Nintendo console.
Actually, Solid Snake's design is base off of his Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Costume, even thought that game was never on a nintendo system. His look in Twin Snakes is different.

Sakurai isn't searching for the most popular characters, he is searching for the most unique ones.
Errrr, I'd say it's more like he's searching for a combination of both.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
*BUMP*

Here is a video of him in SNES Super Punch-Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Bj4MNuUN4
The eyes. They stare into my soul.

Why did they do that to Mac? it's like they said "lol Little Mac is Amerikkan, he should be blond and ripped lol" and they went way, WAY too far with making him look like a crazy-man. Seriousely. He's going to eat my face off with his bare teeth. Sure, Mac can say "Right on!" and "Piece of Cake" all he wants, and I wouldn't even be averse to letting Mac have a little muscle, but dear GOD! tone down the scary and bring back the scrappy underdog. Jesus.

Edit: Also, his forehead seems massive, he has no eyebrow hair, and his brow muscles make him look like a caveman. I do not see badass when I look at this character.

parrothead

Smash Lord
The SNES Mac is the official one. Not saying it's the one they'll go with, but it IS. It's the one EA used, and the team that made Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out admitted that the redesign was for a serious reason: to not make him look like a prancing ninny.

NES Little Mac is small, boring. There's no pronounced features to the face or hair. So for Super, they redesigned him to be more unique, proportioned, and, of course, more "appealing" to an international audience. Let's be honest... The whole black dude training a lanky italian looking guy thing is pretty much done. In New York City, no less. The SNES version gets rid of the expected and just does straight up "lol, let's BOX!"

It pulls the character further away from being just a simple Rocky knockoff
That is the same kind of reason why the TMNT staff created a brand new TMNT series in 2003, based on the earliest comics.

Nemba

Smash Cadet
I don’t have much time to give a synopsis of the his moveset, but this one I came up within 15 min, so bare with me. BTW, I am continuing what parrothead started from the 1st pg. Unfinishined.

B: Super Lightning Punch (Charge attack. The longer he charges the more powerful the punch, and this allows him to zip across the stage quickly. Releasing the charge will zip him a certain distance while throwing a punch depending how long the charge was. The closer the opponent, the farther they will be knocked back by the punch.)

B + tilting joystick: Super Lightning Punch into dodging. He’ll start charging the lightning punch, but then can move out of it and start weaving out of the way of attacks. Requires amazing timing and precision.

Forward+B: Rapid Punch (Moves the same way Marth and Roy use their Forward+B moves, and pulls different combinations.)

Down+B: Counter Punch (Guards himself, then when someone or something hits him, he sends out a punch.)

Up+B: Air Uppercut (Jumps up in the air while sending a punch upward. Can also be used while in the air.)

A: Jab, Jab, Hook, Hook, Faint Uppercut (Self-explanitory)

Forward+A: A chargeable strong punch that can stun.

Up+A: Faint uppercut, but chargeable

Down+A: Trip opponent, but can move into a charged earthquake pound? (can’t think of one for this)
Extreme Attack: Power Agility (Just like in the Punch-Out!! arcades and the SNES Super Punch-Out!!. Little Mac becomes faster and a bit more powerful than before for a short time.)

Grab: Turns into a clench where he can go into a series of four different attacks.

Stationary Grab: Sends a fist repeatedly into opponents gut.
U-grab: Holds the opponent up, small flurry into rising uppercut.
F-grab: Small flurry and finish with a weak super punch to the face.
B-grab: Spins the clench, so they do a 180 turn around and uses momentum to throw them away.
Taunt: Raises his left fist up and shouts "RIGHT ON!", just like in this picture.

Entrance: Puts on his boxing gear (just like he did in the SNES Super Punch-Out!! opening).

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Pit's SSBB look isn't a remake, it is based on his appearance in the Game Boy Kid Icarus title.
Now, parrothead, I support what you're getting at about updating the character models, and I have to say I like the SNES Mac a little better than the NES one, but I'm gonna have to step in and correct you on this point. Pit isn't modeled to look like the Gameboy version of him. It is, in fact, a redesign. If you don't beleive me, take a look for yourself:

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters Pit:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Pit:

While they share a few elements, it's pretty obvious they aren't the same thing. Sakurai even stated that this was a 'giant leap forward' in Pit's evolution.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Yeah, I understood that, but that's what I was disagreeing with. I mean, sure, the Brawl Pit looks closer to the GB version than the NES, but it's still so far from that design that you can't really say it was based off of it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Sure his design was due for an overhaul - what do you expect for a character that hasn't been in a game for 15+ years? Still that doesn't change the fact that the current look his derived from his Myths and Monsters look... Mac is expected to look significantly different from his Super Punch-Out!! look as well, but it is likely to be derived from that look rather than NES Punch-Out!! look...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Whatever. That's beside the point. Anyway, as long as he doesn't end up looking like this:

Then we'll be good.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I don't like how things are going right now with the current special movelist.

Marth/Roy clones? Please.

I would honestly prefer NES little mac, if only because I'd love to land a Neutral B with the old NES *Star hit* noise.

It's like Game and Watch all over again, only even more badass.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I have a feeling that Nintendo will not create the sequel to Mike Tyson's/Mr. Dream's Punch-Out!!, because there aren't any new Rocky movies nor other similar movies being made to refuel it. :laugh:

Nintendo decided to remake the Wire Boxer and the Punch-Out!! arcades as the SNES Mac and the SNES Super Punch-Out!!, because Nintendo wanted to go back to the beginning of the Punch-Out!! series. They didn't want to bring back the NES exclusive boxers excluding Mike Tyson (e.g. Von Kaiser, King Hippo, Don Flamingo, Piston Honda, etc.), because they were rip-offs of some boxers from the arcade versions.

That makes SNES Mac have a higher chance at entering SSBB than the NES Mac. RIGHT ON!!!

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Honestly, except for the sunken eyes, that looks perfectly fine.

It's just that those eyes look like they could suck your soul through your toenails.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly, except for the sunken eyes, that looks perfectly fine.

It's just that those eyes look like they could suck your soul through your toenails.
Well, there's that.

But then theres the inexplicably-styled hair, the fish lips, and the nose you could cut diamonds with. The eyes are the worst thing, buit by no means the ONLY thing.

Top Bottom