• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Duck Hunt Dog Player's Guide *KO Percents Added*

proxibomb

Smash Clown
From what i'm seeing on custom moves. High explosive shot(second neutral b) make the can fly far and fast but explodes as soon as you hit it or hit b. I can see as more of a pressure tool but you lose the control to position the can as the default could. Zigzag shot(third neutral b) is interesting but I not sure what it could be used for. It doesn't explode upon contact but moves back and forth. If it hits are target it does cause knock back. I'm just not sure what to make of it.

I say just stick to the default side b. Rising Clay(second side b) does go farther but loses the ability to shot it. It loses some pressure ability and it takes awhile for it to end. Being that it goes at an upward angle could stop some air approaches but it slow so it won't stop many. Clay Break(third side b) is similar to are default but the shots are bigger and stronger. Though they are slow to come out and more spread out. I could barely hit the shots with Clay Break.

The up b alternative are more useful than some of his other alternatives. Duck Jump Snag(second up b) gives a hit box right out the mouth. It doesn't go up as high as our default. Though the difference is small but noticeable. I can see this up b as a out of shield option. I say use it sparingly though as a out of shield option. Super Duck Jump(third up b) we go up higher that our default and produce a wind box. We lose the ability to move left or right during the recover though. I can see this for gimping but there is some start up and we have to be close enough to the ledge so we can get back on stage or grab the ledge with killing yourself.

I can only see the first alternative as an option to use. Quick Draw Aces(second down b) the gunman fire as soon as they get out. They have decreased range though but also leave quicker to. So they can disrupt quicker but seem to lose some edge guard capability due not floating down then firing. Mega Gunman(third down b) the gunman our huge and can take some punishment but fire so slow. Even the fastest one takes awhile. Though the hit boxes on their shot our bigger and don't lose any range.

This is from what I've seen but i'm sure some one could elaborate more on these moves though.
Seems like DH has some decent customizations, which is good news for him. Anyone know if customizations are allowed at tournaments?

Viking

Smash Rookie
So far from what ive seen on twitch its been back and forth. Most tournaments have just made them illegal and the one tournament i saw that had them legal it didn't really make to much a huge difference results wise but it was cool.

I like this thread dude i hope you keep it up and it grows to the best dhd resource. Also i really like K.YO.CAN lmao

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
how are you guys using upsmash? it seems like a decent kill move but it feels so hard to hit... i keep using it in times other character's upsmashes would be useful but it almost always misses and puts me in a bad situation. but i can't help but feel like it must have a really good application.

basically every other move i have a good use for.

oh, also do you guys have tricks for landing fsmash? it has a bit of lag on startup so even when i read the opponent they can often escape it. usually my best hits are when my opponent is either careless or uses a move with equally large lag. the problem is not as serious as my issues with upsmash because i still get a good number of hits in with it, i just would like it to be more dependable with nervous/jumpy opponents (i guess in some cases it can't be helped, though).

proxibomb

Smash Clown
how are you guys using upsmash? it seems like a decent kill move but it feels so hard to hit... i keep using it in times other character's upsmashes would be useful but it almost always misses and puts me in a bad situation. but i can't help but feel like it must have a really good application.

basically every other move i have a good use for.

oh, also do you guys have tricks for landing fsmash? it has a bit of lag on startup so even when i read the opponent they can often escape it. usually my best hits are when my opponent is either careless or uses a move with equally large lag. the problem is not as serious as my issues with upsmash because i still get a good number of hits in with it, i just would like it to be more dependable with nervous/jumpy opponents (i guess in some cases it can't be helped, though).
Your best bet with an upsmash is first getting your opponent in the air, after that it's all time-based. The last gun reticle that appears has the most knockback and damage.

As for the fsmash, you'll have the best results if you kept your distance. At times where you are open for a grab, you might want to consider using an fsmash instead. If the fsmash is timed right, it'll actually keep the victim of the attack inside the gun reticles until he/she is flown backwards from you.

RiotRiotRiot

Smash Rookie
Pretty awesome guide; exactly what I was looking for.

Any thoughts on the Uair as a kill move? I'm finding that its pretty useful in niche situations if I can get my opponent in the air at a high percentage.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Pretty awesome guide; exactly what I was looking for.

Any thoughts on the Uair as a kill move? I'm finding that its pretty useful in niche situations if I can get my opponent in the air at a high percentage.
Its not niche, its literally dhd's best kill move. My kills are almost all barrels and uairs

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
A few things regarding Duck Hunt:

~Fthrow to fair is a combo at lower %. Additionally, you can use the gunman to pressure your opponent to shield, run up and grab, let the gunman shoot them, then fthrow fair for about 25-30%. If your opponent fails to tech the ground, that can also be a free jab/ftilt/dtilt. I believe fthrow to dash attack also works, but ceases to be a combo earlier than fthrow fair. Regardless, it adds a good mix-up.

~I find Battlefield to be an extremely good stage for Duck Hunt, and I'd even say I do better there than on FD. Using the platforms for traps is extremely effective, and landing up airs on the platforms (especially the top one) can make for much needed early kills.

~Fsmash can be a very good ledge guarding tool. You can use a can or clay pigeon to force your opponent to go for the ledge, then charge a down-angled fsmash to cover the ledge. The last 2 shots of the dsmash will come out right in front of the ledge, which will net early kills.

Last edited:

chyeaahbrah

Smash Rookie
Can the gunmen shots be reflected ( or pocketed by :4villager:)?

i didn't think it was possible, but the other day i played a match and it was actually able to be pocketed and used against me. Im assuming that it keeps the properties of the gunman that fired it as well, but i have no idea tbh

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
i just played around with CP's and i just thought about Jungle Japes ..
i played on it and it felt so comfortable, u can camp really lot and even can kick the can under the stage! how do you think about cps?

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
Can the gunmen shots be reflected ( or pocketed by :4villager:)?
Yes. From my experience, when Duck Hunt's can and gunman shots are pocketed and used against him, they deal an insane amount of extra knockback for some reason. So that may be something to be cautious of.

Spirst

Yes. From my experience, when Duck Hunt's can and gunman shots are pocketed and used against him, they deal an insane amount of extra knockback for some reason. So that may be something to be cautious of.
That's because of how the Villager's pocket mechanic works. I believe it deals both more damage and knockback (though this is probably because of the higher percent damage it does) than the original pocketed projectile. As a test, I pocketed Greninja's fully charged shuriken which would typically deal about 12%. When I used the pocket shuriken, it dealt 23% and launched him further (because of the higher percent).

Last edited:

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
That's because of how the Villager's pocket mechanic works. I believe it deals both more damage and knockback than the original pocketed projectile. As a test, I pocketed Greninja's fully charged shuriken which would typically deal about 12%. When I used the pocket shuriken, it dealt 23% and launched him further (because of the higher percent).
I figured that was the case, but my 3DS broke before I got a chance to test it for myself. Thanks for confirming this for us!~

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
Anyways, i need to play against some other dh's, since in europe nobody plays him and i am alone.. again :(

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yo can I get in on this? I got a crappy DHD and I'm lookin for sparring partners to improve my game, so I'd like to enter the heat of battle anybody's got the time this weekend. I also uploaded 5 videos of my gameplay the Duck Hunt Video Thread (Shots Fired!!), so you can also go there and watch and critique them too, that also helps.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Maybe I'm biased, but I feel very confident in the set-ups I've been using and I just feel like he can shut down so many options against so many characters. I wrote up a bit on a few of them, with illustrations. Let me know if you guys want to see more.

Approaching with all three:
Step 1: Can

Step 2: Immediately Gunmen

Step 3: Pop the can as much as needed (minimum 2-3 times)
Just let it drop unless you're sure it'll hit or hinder more than the pigeon would

*Worth nothing up to step 3 is the combo I use most in my matches. Very efficiently locks out ground and air approaches, you don't NEED to followup with more projectiles. Grabs, punishing rolls, and returns to the stage after just double+ jumping over everything seem to work more often for me, but those are more difficult to quantify.

Step 4: Shorthop the Clay Pigeon Toss

This throws it over the gunmen and can's trajectory, and locks out low air approaches.
If done right, the gunmen will also shoot the can forward a little for added pressure. For reference, the above is about the closest the can needs to be to get popped forward. (This gunmen has the shortest range)

*Don't stress the gunmen shot to can too much in a real match, pressuring properly with the can is more important generally. But this is easier to practice for and helpful as a general "not sure if I'll hit anything" manner.

Step 5: Detonate, punish shield, or landing lag as needed.

If done right, you should've safely covered a looooot of area with hitboxes and applied a lot of free pressure in a small amount of time. The can should still be live around mid-stage.

Long-range and Reverse-Short Hop Version. (No steps, only illustrated)

Pressuring returns to the stage from above:
Step 1: Double Jump, and Trick Shot Immediately

Step 2: Gunmen on the way down. (ASAP, don't worry about timing) But also shoot the can as much as possible before the kicking animation ends and you can gunmen.

Step 3: Full Hop Clay Pigeon Toss (Soft generally)

The gunmen shoots at this point, likely scaring them away from your position. The can however is also about to drop, so it can't threaten them in the air anymore.

Step 4: Act accordingly. (Punish landing with smash, grab, or followup a hit)

The frisbee takes the place of the can in the air and the can threatens the opposite side of the stage from where you launched your projectiles. The stage has essentially no safe spaces at this time.
Ledge Guarding:
Sometimes they make it back to the ledge to quick, or some characters just aren't that worth trying to edgeguard as they are to ledgeguard. DHD has ridiculous options for threatening their ledge game if done right.

Step 1: Position trick shot so the can is between 1.5-3 can's length from the lip of the ledge.

This positioning both threatens them if they hang on the ledge too long and lose their invincibility, regrab without it, or jump up from the ledge.

Step 2: Charge your fsmash from a proper distance so it'll hit the can.

Remember, when charged, DHD's fmsash gets some ridiculous distance. Also, when it hits the can, it only sends it the same distance as a regular shot.

Hopefully, they'll wait for you to charge it and for it to end, their invincibility ends and you pop the can down to punish that.

A jump from the ledge is the overall safest option, but still iffy for taller/bigger/slower characters.

They can't ledge attack the can towards you really, they obviously won't just pull up. They can do the long roll on and get the fsmash to the face. (Though unfortunately, you'll almost always get the knockback for the can not the fsmash. It'll usually be the last thing to hit them. Lotta damage, though)

Overall though, due to the low endlag of his fsmash and the huge range, a ledge jump generally won't let them threaten DHD's position

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Maybe I'm biased, but I feel very confident in the set-ups I've been using and I just feel like he can shut down so many options against so many characters. I wrote up a bit on a few of them, with illustrations. Let me know if you guys want to see more.

Approaching with all three:
Step 1: Can

Step 2: Immediately Gunmen

Step 3: Pop the can as much as needed (minimum 2-3 times)
Just let it drop unless you're sure it'll hit or hinder more than the pigeon would

*Worth nothing up to step 3 is the combo I use most in my matches. Very efficiently locks out ground and air approaches, you don't NEED to followup with more projectiles. Grabs, punishing rolls, and returns to the stage after just double+ jumping over everything seem to work more often for me, but those are more difficult to quantify.

Step 4: Shorthop the Clay Pigeon Toss

This throws it over the gunmen and can's trajectory, and locks out low air approaches.
If done right, the gunmen will also shoot the can forward a little for added pressure. For reference, the above is about the closest the can needs to be to get popped forward. (This gunmen has the shortest range)

*Don't stress the gunmen shot to can too much in a real match, pressuring properly with the can is more important generally. But this is easier to practice for and helpful as a general "not sure if I'll hit anything" manner.

Step 5: Detonate, punish shield, or landing lag as needed.

If done right, you should've safely covered a looooot of area with hitboxes and applied a lot of free pressure in a small amount of time. The can should still be live around mid-stage.

Long-range and Reverse-Short Hop Version. (No steps, only illustrated)

Pressuring returns to the stage from above:
Step 1: Double Jump, and Trick Shot Immediately

Step 2: Gunmen on the way down. (ASAP, don't worry about timing) But also shoot the can as much as possible before the kicking animation ends and you can gunmen.

Step 3: Full Hop Clay Pigeon Toss (Soft generally)

The gunmen shoots at this point, likely scaring them away from your position. The can however is also about to drop, so it can't threaten them in the air anymore.

Step 4: Act accordingly. (Punish landing with smash, grab, or followup a hit)

The frisbee takes the place of the can in the air and the can threatens the opposite side of the stage from where you launched your projectiles. The stage has essentially no safe spaces at this time.
Ledge Guarding:
Sometimes they make it back to the ledge to quick, or some characters just aren't that worth trying to edgeguard as they are to ledgeguard. DHD has ridiculous options for threatening their ledge game if done right.

Step 1: Position trick shot so the can is between 1.5-3 can's length from the lip of the ledge.

This positioning both threatens them if they hang on the ledge too long and lose their invincibility, regrab without it, or jump up from the ledge.

Step 2: Charge your fsmash from a proper distance so it'll hit the can.

Remember, when charged, DHD's fmsash gets some ridiculous distance. Also, when it hits the can, it only sends it the same distance as a regular shot.

Hopefully, they'll wait for you to charge it and for it to end, their invincibility ends and you pop the can down to punish that.

A jump from the ledge is the overall safest option, but still iffy for taller/bigger/slower characters.

They can't ledge attack the can towards you really, they obviously won't just pull up. They can do the long roll on and get the fsmash to the face. (Though unfortunately, you'll almost always get the knockback for the can not the fsmash. It'll usually be the last thing to hit them. Lotta damage, though)

Overall though, due to the low endlag of his fsmash and the huge range, a ledge jump generally won't let them threaten DHD's position
You wouldn't mind if I put this on the actual guide? Add more information, and I'll add it with your permission of course. I'll add you to the credits if your information is added.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yea that's cool, I'll post the rest tomorrow. Feel free to take liberties with titles/names/wording and such too

Last edited:

Spirst

I've been using Duck Hunt's custom 3 (the Duck Jump) for a bit now and I strongly recommend it whenever you can use it. It loses some of the horizontal distance you gain from the default, but you get a much quicker recovery that's harder to interrupt and it has a gimmicky windbox effect. It's not on the level of Greninja's hydro pump but if you time it right, you can sometimes displace recoveries like Ganondorf's.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I've been using Duck Hunt's custom 3 (the Duck Jump) for a bit now and I strongly recommend it whenever you can use it. It loses some of the horizontal distance you gain from the default, but you get a much quicker recovery that's harder to interrupt and it has a gimmicky windbox effect. It's not on the level of Greninja's hydro pump but if you time it right, you can sometimes displace recoveries like Ganondorf's.
Where's the windbox located? Behind or in front of Duck Hunt? I only have the 2nd Custom (The one where the dog bites at the cost of shorter distance), so I'm just curious.

Spirst

Where's the windbox located? Behind or in front of Duck Hunt? I only have the 2nd Custom (The one where the dog bites at the cost of shorter distance), so I'm just curious.
The windbox is located on both sides of Duck Hunt.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Oh **** thought I did the rest for some reason... I think the site went down and i lost my save

Here's an easy but crucial one I believe. Seems pretty self explanatory.

Essentially, you give that upb of yours a hitbox! However, I don't recommend practicing this by just jumping off the stage like here because the angles are all off from how you'll usually get into this situation. This is just meant to demonstrate the idea.

There's no firm technique or method to do this since your trajectory and the situation is going to be different each time.
Just get used to hovering the can ABOVE your trajectory, not actually in it. You mostly want to threaten the area right in front of the ledge. If you were sent high enough, you can safely get the can on stage with you, though verical/low recoveries should just focus on getting back.

Tips:

1: To practice, I suggest taking a lv.3 ganondorf to the training room. Setting HP to about 125% and him to attack. If you just stand in front of him (just outside grab and tilt range and within wizard foot range), he'll almost always just wizard foot. This'll send you pretty far horizontally and represents a pretty standard iffy recovery, and as your percentage goes up it changes things up a bit so it doesn't get too stale and you get used to some different distances.

2: It seems like there are only three major points during the upb you need to tap the direction you want to go to achieve maximum distance.

Let me repeat. You can achieve the maximum distance during the upb while also popping the can to protect you. The timing is rather strict, but straightforward. (the points are simply the beginning, middle, and end of the animation)

The issue is, you can only pop it once at any time between these points. So this can only be used for keeping the height it is at, not going higher. So get the can up BEFORE you recover. It will never go higher until after you finish the upb animation. When you KNOW you're going to make it and sweetspot, you can let up on the direction and focus on popping the can.

So definitely get used to the timings there. Those one or two extra pops may not seem like much, but killing downward momentum to keep it at a certain height is actually very helpful.

That said, you still have to take the time to kick the can, thus falling closer to the blast zone. So it isn't like just because it doesn't hurt your upb distance, it doesn't hurt your actual ability to recover solely from distance. So we need to work on alleviating that.

2: Always kick on the double jump back to stage. The higher the can starts the better, horizontal placement isn't a huge deal.

3: Never try it without your double jump unless you're about ledge-level when you would kick, and about visible on the screen (not near the blastzone/offscreen) And even this takes precise timing.

You either risk not making it back or just having the can too low to help you anyway. At this point it would be more worth it to be tricky with the trajectory of your recovery, and have the breathing room to do it.

4: This is especially helpful on omegas with low walls as if the can goes too far/low when you hit it again it will bounce against the wall and up again (not with an ideal trajectory but it's something)

*I feel I should stress this is way more important than the other stuff. Those are for pretty ideal situations and just get people used to the projectiles, but this has applications in every match against every character.

And when c-sticks come and edgeguarding becomes more of a threat, I personally feel I'm going to be needing to do this nearly every time. Get good enough and you can turn your disadvantage into an advantage by setting a can on the stage or punishing edgeguard attempts.

Edit: Got my horizontal/verticals mixed up like a dummy

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I'll have the next version of the guide up by next week. I'll have a huge testing session with some friends so I could put even more stuff in the guide. Just a heads up, I'll be getting rid of MUs until I have them done on a separate document.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
What about his tilts and aerials? You keep mentioning how they have so much landing lag, but nothing about autocanceling off short hop/ full hop/ ledge hop? I think Duck Hunt's tilts are very important, especially forward tilt. It's his farthest reaching tilt and pivot forward tilt has helped me a lot with running away and occasionally some combos. When angled up, it can be an anti air and when angled down, it can edgeguard. Down throw is not his worst throw. At low percents, you can get a free fair or forward tilt and when they are conditioned to air dodge immediately, you can even forward smash them or run up and up smash.

Spirst

Down throw isn't his worst throw but there are better options off a grab much of the time. Dthrow does 5% and doesn't have any true combos whereas an fthrow does 8% and can guarantee a followup from sweetspotted fair/bair much of the time. Fthrow also puts them in a much better position to throw a clay pigeon for even more damage. You can easily get about 20% from an fthrow while for dthrow, you have to put in some work for a lesser/unreliable result.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Down throw isn't his worst throw but there are better options off a grab much of the time. Dthrow does 5% and doesn't have any true combos whereas an fthrow does 8% and can guarantee a followup from sweetspotted fair/bair much of the time. Fthrow also puts them in a much better position to throw a clay pigeon for even more damage. You can easily get about 20% from an fthrow while for dthrow, you have to put in some work for a lesser/unreliable result.
Forward smash mixup is not a lesser result. I respect if doing mixups is not your style, but they work. Also forgot that you can up air them if they jump after down throw, but that leads into even more airdodge mixup shenanigans. Not saying it's better than forward throw, but they both have their uses.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Oh **** thought I did the rest for some reason... I think the site went down and i lost my save

Here's an easy but crucial one I believe. Seems pretty self explanatory.

Essentially, you give that upb of yours a hitbox! However, I don't recommend practicing this by just jumping off the stage like here because the angles are all off from how you'll usually get into this situation. This is just meant to demonstrate the idea.

There's no firm technique or method to do this since your trajectory and the situation is going to be different each time.
Just get used to hovering the can ABOVE your trajectory, not actually in it. You mostly want to threaten the area right in front of the ledge. If you were sent high enough, you can safely get the can on stage with you, though verical/low recoveries should just focus on getting back.

Tips:

1: To practice, I suggest taking a lv.3 ganondorf to the training room. Setting HP to about 125% and him to attack. If you just stand in front of him (just outside grab and tilt range and within wizard foot range), he'll almost always just wizard foot. This'll send you pretty far horizontally and represents a pretty standard iffy recovery, and as your percentage goes up it changes things up a bit so it doesn't get too stale and you get used to some different distances.

2: It seems like there are only three major points during the upb you need to tap the direction you want to go to achieve maximum distance.

Let me repeat. You can achieve the maximum distance during the upb while also popping the can to protect you. The timing is rather strict, but straightforward. (the points are simply the beginning, middle, and end of the animation)

The issue is, you can only pop it once at any time between these points. So this can only be used for keeping the height it is at, not going higher. So get the can up BEFORE you recover. It will never go higher until after you finish the upb animation. When you KNOW you're going to make it and sweetspot, you can let up on the direction and focus on popping the can.

So definitely get used to the timings there. Those one or two extra pops may not seem like much, but killing downward momentum to keep it at a certain height is actually very helpful.

That said, you still have to take the time to kick the can, thus falling closer to the blast zone. So it isn't like just because it doesn't hurt your upb distance, it doesn't hurt your actual ability to recover solely from distance. So we need to work on alleviating that.

2: Always kick on the double jump back to stage. The higher the can starts the better, horizontal placement isn't a huge deal.

3: Never try it without your double jump unless you're about ledge-level when you would kick, and about visible on the screen (not near the blastzone/offscreen) And even this takes precise timing.

You either risk not making it back or just having the can too low to help you anyway. At this point it would be more worth it to be tricky with the trajectory of your recovery, and have the breathing room to do it.

4: This is especially helpful on omegas with low walls as if the can goes too far/low when you hit it again it will bounce against the wall and up again (not with an ideal trajectory but it's something)

*I feel I should stress this is way more important than the other stuff. Those are for pretty ideal situations and just get people used to the projectiles, but this has applications in every match against every character.

And when c-sticks come and edgeguarding becomes more of a threat, I personally feel I'm going to be needing to do this nearly every time. Get good enough and you can turn your disadvantage into an advantage by setting a can on the stage or punishing edgeguard attempts.

Edit: Got my horizontal/verticals mixed up like a dummy
Late reply, oh boy! Anyways, this would work, but the only problem is that the explosion could kill you at high percents. Even the damage from this explosion, and not the self-KO alone ticks me off. I still see this being a tactic though, but only if you're at a low percent.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
In my experience DHD almost never gets hit by the can himself, it usually goes in front of his trajectory. But even if he did, it's only 8% for him and from below the ledge it like almost never kills until extremely late.

Top Bottom