• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask a question, get an answer" Mario Edition

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I see a lot of threads being made just to ask a single question. So as to reduce the amount of spam (or small new threads lol) just ask your question here.

All questions will be archived in this post, as future reference and for convenience.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Good thread, but it'll be really hard to keep it alive and on topic on things, that's why multiple threads are made for each topic. This thread should be good for general information though. I understand you want to reduce what could be considered spam topics. Besides, threads that are spam will eventually be closed anyway so this isn't necessary, plus there's already a general Mario discussion thread (It's kinda of died out but it does exist and is still open).

*I'm sorry if sound like I'm disrespecting this thread; I think this is a very good thread, but I got the feeling that you're belittling many other threads (You probably aren't but I'm just making sure); again, I apologize if this post is seen as offensive in anyway*

*Also, SpaceFalcon, you're entitled to your own opinions but it is unnecessary to blatantly flame the Mario boards*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
IMO he's not flaming it. The Mario boards seriously aren't getting nearly as much attention as others. It's sad really. Mario is the best video game character ever.

I promise to bring some life to the Mario boards when I get Brawl. I got a DVD recording disk and I have a friend who I can compete with. I'll record some Mario vs Sonic **** and get it on youtube.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
How does Down-A compare to the Down-B of old?

I know it has been answered before but I'd like to hear another viewpoint.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Dair owns so much more than the Mario Tornado. The mario tornado of brawl is actually good.

I got a question... how do you beat metaknight? i cant figure out his weaknesses so im having trouble figuring out how to beat him.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight's weakness is his lack of K.O. ability, in which he relies on his amazing combo ability to rack up damage. He has a hard time dealing with projectiles and is light. Endurance is what often gives Meta Knight the most trouble; if you can survive or avoid his combos you can counterattack.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Vs Metaknight

Spam Fireballs. Metaknight can't handle projectiles very well, so this'll definitely annoying him and rack up some decent damage. Try to get Metaknight off the ground, preferably with Mario's utilt (since it rocks). From there, just start throwing out bairs (think WOP), its range and priority is better the most (if not all) of Metaknight's moves. Mario has more range then Metaknight (never thought I'd ever say Mario has more range then anyone), so try keep that spacing tight with ftilts, bairs, and dsmashs.

When it comes to KOing Metaknight, use Marios usmash (try hyphen smashing it, that'll catch him by surprise more then you expect it too). Dsmash and fsmash work too , with dsmash being easier to land and fsmash being a lot stronger. Other decent killing options are nair, bair, fair(spike or doc punch), and even uair surprisingly.

edit: stupid typo v_v

Vidd

Smash Cadet
Has the Fireball improved?
In Melee I feel it's too slow to be useful.

Irmão Esmagador

Smash Cadet
Fireball can be very useful.

We should make a Mario Video Compendium (on a new thread). I don't think I would have a lot of time to keep that updated, but I may help with more videos. Can someone do it?

Also, I think this could be turned into a FAQ.

Thanks. :)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Has the Fireball improved?
In Melee I feel it's too slow to be useful.
Fireball is still very useful in Brawl

Mario is floaty enough to spam the crap out of Fireballs...two in one full jump...one of Mario's best approaches

I'll also be able to answer to the best of my ability

Help!

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to answer questions too as well as ask them. I'm not the best there is, but i think i can be helpful. If I'm wrong someone else can correct me.

Since there arent really any questions here that arent answered, i got one. Help versus Jiggly? Never could figure out how to beat her in melee and the wall of pain is still pretty decent in my opinion. So strats on jiggly?

Vidd

Smash Cadet
My question wasn't if it is still useful, I was asking if it was actually better.
In Melee it seems too slow to me whereas Dr Mario's pills are really useful.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I'll try to answer questions too as well as ask them. I'm not the best there is, but i think i can be helpful. If I'm wrong someone else can correct me.

Since there arent really any questions here that arent answered, i got one. Help versus Jiggly? Never could figure out how to beat her in melee and the wall of pain is still pretty decent in my opinion. So strats on jiggly?
Jiggs, has like NO killing options now that rest has been nerfed. You can try WOP yourself with Mario's bair. Try to keep Jigglypuff coming towards you, so spam fireballs so that she is forced to come to you. Try to also stay on the ground, where Mario has superior reach and priority over Jiggs. If you see that she's trying to approach you, and she's already too close to fireball, try utilting, it will outprioritize most of Jigg's attacks.

When it comes to killing Jiggs, its not very difficult. She's really light, so anything can work. Nair, fair, bair, f/u/d smash all do wonders.

My question wasn't if it is still useful, I was asking if it was actually better.
In Melee it seems too slow to me whereas Dr Mario's pills are really useful.
Fireballs are definitely better, and thus, they're still useful. They're very good for approaching (followed by a bair or nair).

They're good, but they definitely aren't pills. No projectile comes close to Melee's pills IMO

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I don't have someone else right now to test this, but can you cape zelda's din fire? I think I may be just wigging out a bit, but everytime I cape a din's fire, I usually avoid damage. Maybe I'm just getting lucky or something..

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Havok: Ko's are mainly from smashes now, Up smash is one of mario's best ko moves now at the higher percents, but his other smashes are pretty dandy too. Most kills are probably going to be from the fsmash, but just remember up smash aint too bad now. either than that his aerials kill at high percents and edge guarding is a lot tougher this time around for now. especially with all the amazing recoveries. you could try to do some hugging its like the only way to edge hog.

cHooKay: yea cape rules for dins fire cause it completely negates the damage cause its working as a reflector but you cant reflector it so it just does pretty much nothing... unless you cape right next to her then it might just blow her up... not sure on that someone might wanna test that, but yea no fire juggling for zelda versus mario and his cape.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
^^^^yep u nailed the question pretty well....all of marios smashes are useful....his u-smash got a huge improvement,priority wise....back to the ssb64 days....his d-smash has slightly better reach...his f-smash is just good as ever...his airs, such as f-air,n-air(first frames),u-air and b-air,are good killing options at high percents...and ,at very high percents,u can kill with the u-tilt.....:-)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I feel like I've already hit a mental block with Mario. I was wondering what some good approach options are for characters like meta knight or Marth? I mean, different ones to keep them guessing and minimize that range advantage. Also, how practical is the FLUDD for edgeguarding really?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I feel like I've already hit a mental block with Mario. I was wondering what some good approach options are for characters like meta knight or Marth? I mean, different ones to keep them guessing and minimize that range advantage. Also, how practical is the FLUDD for edgeguarding really?
Good approaches

-Fireballs, full jump fire 2 move closer
-auto cancel dairs back and forth
-dashing shield grab

Fludd...just stop it...waste of my life...the only use I found is if I want to mess around... other than that there are better options then trying to aim a water nozzle to push them back slightly

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
fludd is not practical for edge guarding, fludd is amazing for edge guarding, check out the fludd thread for more.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
fludd is not practical for edge guarding, fludd is amazing for edge guarding, check out the fludd thread for more.
I'm sorry but I just don't see how it would be so great the only possibility I can see would be maybe pushing back fox's Up-B(Highly doubt that will work) or pushing someone slightly further so they miss the edge but other that I don't see much use for it as a "amazing" edgegaurd when I can just hug the edge or bair of the level...

I'm not going to completely reject this discussion about fludd seeing how, I don't use it ever so my knowledge is pretty limited but for now I feel it's just a very situational attack...VERY situational...

if someone post a video and I can't find anything that would be more useful in the situation that will probably sway my opinion a little...I'm not as ignorant as people think

Edit: just saw that Fludd video...it's not as useless as I previously thought I still think it's a risky maneuver though seeing how You miss you're pretty open to attack. It does have potential though

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Ike will basterdize you with his quickdraw range, SAF, and aether SAF. Remember that Ike' SAF render's the fludd useless, so hit him as soon as possible, or after the SAF's are gone.
wrong, SAF are still pushed away.

here is the meat on Ike's recoveries vs Fludd

Forward B, i tested it. on the ground you will neutralize 1/2 of the attack, so all charged up Ike will move forward 10 blocks(this is an example) if he is being skeeted he will only move 5 blocks, if you are in teams with an Ike you could skeet on him from behind to give him the opposite effect, he will move 1 1/2 times as far.

UpB, what happens on this attack depends on where you hit, if you hit Ike directly as soon as he is doing his UPB 2 things will happen, you will push him back about 3 bodies lenght, and when Ike has his throwing sword animation the attack will be completely neutralized and he will return to his normal standing/falling position.

if you hit where his sword will be you will be able to push ike as far as you can aim, if you are good enough to aim Fludd and hit him as he is going up and then at the plateu of his attack you will achieve maximum knockback and will kill him if he's off the stage.

XLR

Smash Rookie
wrong, SAF are still pushed away.

here is the meat on Ike's recoveries vs Fludd

Forward B, i tested it. on the ground you will neutralize 1/2 of the attack, so all charged up Ike will move forward 10 blocks(this is an example) if he is being skeeted he will only move 5 blocks, if you are in teams with an Ike you could skeet on him from behind to give him the opposite effect, he will move 1 1/2 times as far.

UpB, what happens on this attack depends on where you hit, if you hit Ike directly as soon as he is doing his UPB 2 things will happen, you will push him back about 3 bodies lenght, and when Ike has his throwing sword animation the attack will be completely neutralized and he will return to his normal standing/falling position.

if you hit where his sword will be you will be able to push ike as far as you can aim, if you are good enough to aim Fludd and hit him as he is going up and then at the plateu of his attack you will achieve maximum knockback and will kill him if he's off the stage.
So when Ike is recovering with his upB, all I have to do to gimp him is aim the super-soaker at his sword? Jeebus, and I was wondering why the cape didn't work on him :ohwell:

Wait a minute, if you could cape him, do you cape the sword or ike when he's using the upB?!?

Help!

Smash Journeyman
oh need to do some testing on the fludd and the cape >< i used to be so fond of the cape...

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
So when Ike is recovering with his upB, all I have to do to gimp him is aim the super-soaker at his sword? Jeebus, and I was wondering why the cape didn't work on him :ohwell:

Wait a minute, if you could cape him, do you cape the sword or ike when he's using the upB?!?
you can only cape ike, so if you can you should drop from the stage and cape ike directly.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I have a pretty important but dumb question all at once. Anyways, do any of marios moves have any hit boxes directly below him(ie. like kirby's dair for example). I don't think he does other than his nair, which makes this question dumb. So to improve this question a little better, what is the best way to approach moves directly below mario from in the air. I kinda know the answer to this but I just want more input you know. Metakight and link keep spamming me this way...

Troblin

Smash Rookie
how do you consistently Bair w/ mario?

Are you suppose to jump over your oponent and bair then, or fight w/ your back to them?

Gn0m0

Smash Rookie
Mario's up+B and Dair

I have a question, u know that with each time u use the same attack it gives out less damage?
I was wondering does Mario's up+b and Dair count as a bunch of different hits and reset the damage on my previously weakened attacks?

XLR

Smash Rookie
I have a pretty important but dumb question all at once. Anyways, do any of marios moves have any hit boxes directly below him(ie. like kirby's dair for example). I don't think he does other than his nair, which makes this question dumb. So to improve this question a little better, what is the best way to approach moves directly below mario from in the air. I kinda know the answer to this but I just want more input you know. Metakight and link keep spamming me this way...
How I see it, they're only going to rack up more damage if you try to out prioritize their attacks with one of your own. I mean, you can try to do this, but it's better to try to dodge it all. I've played metaknight and link more than often enough, so what I do is try to airdodge it and DI away from them *You may need to use your 2nd jump to escape the juggle-stun which will allow you to airdodge in time*. But I guess that's what you already knew huh? Anyways, here's something you could do if you manage to get away from their constant up+air barrage. If you are successful in airdodging their attacks, and you so happen to be beside them, try caping them. The cape will push them away so it will give you more breathing space. Hope that helped.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Use the cape to stall in the air then dodge; it is a better way to get a feel for the situation and avoid being punished for prematurely air-dodging (You can also try getting a second or two to charge F.L.U.D.D. and cancel the charging with the dodge). Alternately, use the cape to stall until you find an appropriate opening to sex kick.

*Try not to be too predictable when stalling in the air with the cape*

*Fireballs and F.L.U.D.D. may work too if you can manage to maneuver to the side enough*

*F.L.U.D.D. will cause your opponent to be pushed upward if you aim down on them while they are in the air, so be wary*

???????

Smash Journeyman
Gn0m0, yes to your question but it only really affects the last hit since you can't inflict less than 1% damage with those hits; because of this you won't see much of a damage decrease while using those moves, even if you use them consistently (Plus, the first few hits have set knockback; at least for the Up B that is).

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
yes, I will apply your tips. Yeah, pretty much DIing and dodging were my only two options. I was hoping that someone would've stated that mario's dair can interrupt attacks "wishful thinking". The other only thing I miss about mario's tornado and marios dair from Melee other than it rising (recovery), was I used to drill through Uair spammers quickly with melee mario's dair which always for the most part worked out great (too bad fastfalling been gimped to be slower). BTW, also what I've been doing is DIing a 1/4 to fully charged FLUDD when spammers try to juggle my mario with Uairs, the push not only acts great as a recovery move, but also as a landing move to because mario moves pretty darn quick horizontally if applied correctly and "pushes oponents" at the same time it hit them if they are infront of mario. This application adds to the whole "Keep oponents from guessing my everymove" game...

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario can't cape disjointed hitboxes; he's got the F.L.U.D.D. for that though.

*Also, the Fair hits below you and has lot of priority when the attack comes out; needs timing because the startup is a bit slow*

*Also, I've been wondering whether or not to B-stick with Mario or use the standard C-stick for smash exploits*

Top Bottom