• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offensive or Defensive Yoshi?

D

Deleted member

I was wondering how u guyz like to play ur Yoshi. For me it often depends on the character, but i prefer playing defensively. Yoshis eggz r perfect for defense, and a great shield, an ok CC, and an annoying taunt make Yoshi very well suited for defensive. I like to play defensively, but then when i see an opening, go take advantage of it and combo him to death, or edgeguard him into oblivion. What do u guys do? :yoshi:

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Actually Yoshi's shield sucks. Sorry, but once you get into it things get complicated coming out.

It's hard to have a definitive "defensive" or "offensive" playing style, but I think I like the offense better than the defense.

D

Deleted member

Supershielding=pwnage. Yoshi has a good shield, except for bad shield grab. Good lightshield. Id say Yoshi has a great shield> but u guys, r right, achieving the right balence of offence and defence is key. I sorta meant, what do u prefer to do.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I like to try to be offensive until I find that being offensive isn't working. Then I switch to defensive mode until things are more even.

Offensive Yoshi is just so much flashier.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yoshi has a good shield and bad out of shield options.

All of the best players strike a balance between defense and offense. I enjoy both currently, but I lean towards offense now that I have complete control over Yoshi. Before that, I was mostly defensive.

To each his own.

D

Deleted member

Oh i see what u meant Bloshi. "Things get complicated coming out". Ya no jump out of shield +bad shield grab means getting out of ur shield can be kinda hard, but spot dodge works fine for me. But anyways, im glad ive gotten all of your opinions.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Keep your shield for blocking blows, not for anything else really.

As said by many people, really depends on the character you're up against to determine what strategies you should use. Sometimes, being defensive will get you killed only faster (I.E. Falcon's knee's in your face). However, defensive can also be helpful, such as vs. Peach, one of his toughest battles. Her priorities outrank yours by a long shot, so it's best to take advantage of lagtime between her moves (what little openings you get).

Train up on both, soldier. It'll keep you alive!

D

Deleted member

Keep your shield for blocking blows, not for anything else really.

As said by many people, really depends on the character you're up against to determine what strategies you should use. Sometimes, being defensive will get you killed only faster (I.E. Falcon's knee's in your face). However, defensive can also be helpful, such as vs. Peach, one of his toughest battles. Her priorities outrank yours by a long shot, so it's best to take advantage of lagtime between her moves (what little openings you get).

Train up on both, soldier. It'll keep you alive!
Ummm not trying to be annoying but... I was the only one who said that it depends on the character you're against :p. But on topic, I do go offensive most of the time, i just like playing defensive bettr, cuz i like letting my opponent make the first move, and capitalizing on their mistakes. And I do like staying alive, it makes things more enjoyable, but u know... (i dont know, i just feel like saying random stuff).

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Ummm not trying to be annoying but... I was the only one who said that it depends on the character you're against :p. But on topic, I do go offensive most of the time, i just like playing defensive bettr, cuz i like letting my opponent make the first move, and capitalizing on their mistakes. And I do like staying alive, it makes things more enjoyable, but u know... (i dont know, i just feel like saying random stuff).
Oh, there I go pulling stuff from other sources. When I talk to other people online is what I meant. No offense taken! n_n

D

Deleted member

Hehe, I sorta figuered, but w/e. Anywho, Bringer, I saw some of ur vids, and u were playing super aggresive against...kupo's shiek i think. Not that its a bad thing,quite the opposite, just was amazing how aggresive u were, and ur opponent always had to be on their toes. Very impressive indeed.

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
i have trouble playin offensive, im mainly pressured all the time when i play so i have to be defensive. i cant get any offense goin with yoshi and it usually leads to my downfall. i try to get some hits in when my opponent misses but it just seems like im not quick enough to react. id like to play offensive but defense is mainly my game

D

Deleted member

Learn to go offensive, cuz it is very useful, maybe u should throw an egg right in front of u to get ur enemy off u, then go offensive. Or before he has the chance to get to u, do some mindgames, like dash dancing.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kupo's sheik eh? I can't remember how old those videos are now. They weren't long after Fumi's videos first came out, I remember that much.

I think if you watch those videos you'll notice I do my best when I'm on the defensive. I didn't have the repertoire of tricks I do now, nor the experience at l-cancelling and spacing. Still, they're fun to watch and reminisce =)

D

Deleted member

Kupo's sheik eh? I can't remember how old those videos are now. They weren't long after Fumi's videos first came out, I remember that much.

I think if you watch those videos you'll notice I do my best when I'm on the defensive. I didn't have the repertoire of tricks I do now, nor the experience at l-cancelling and spacing. Still, they're fun to watch and reminisce =)
Hehe i try to get on the mods good side, but apperantly i failed :yoshi: jk, jk. Anyways, over the past few weeks (as my friend went through a metamorphosis in skill and is now 10x bettr), i have become a little more balanced, and i now like offence alot more than i did previously (retarted Yoshi foxtrot approach ftw. If u dont know what it is, dont ask, but its funny). And i seem to have gotten better at wavelanding consistantly when the need arises and ive "mastered" (not mastered but gotten way better) at controlling Yoshis edge game, a.e. knowing what to do when enemy is off the edge, doing some instant edgehog mind games, getting better at ECE etc. And ive realized the glory that is the nair and bair. Ok im done ranting. Sorry if that was a bit random.
Your friendly neighborhood Yoshi: burntsocks :yoshi:

technomancer

Smash Champion
You should always be aggressive in Smash unless you know your opponent will consitantly jump into the ****. By aggressive I mean gunning to get solid hits in, not just throwing out A moves, and pushing for a beneficial spacing. Defensive play sounds just passive, like you're at 97% on your last stock in a crew battle, but you know you can gimp your opponent's Falco if you don't get pwned first.

The most important thing to know is how to effectively space and L-cancel and safety your attacks. Almost all characters can apply pressure effectively by spacing well. This is a good way to play "defensively" while being aggressive, to make your opponent flustered.

Top Bottom