• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd mechanic

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Basically I have a lot of down time, and while waiting for an online match I started to press buttons. Well I jumped and pressed down on the c-stick, and one of three things happened. But first, know that I was only using jump (x) and down on the c-stick, so nothing else. Well, if I was high enough off the ground, Pikachu did his D-air, which was expected. But if I timed it so that I pressed c-down right after he landed, it did a d-smash, which was kind of also expected. Then the weird thing happened...if I pressed c-down at some time (I'm not entirely sure on the timing yet), it did a d-tilt, which baffles me because there is no input from the control stick to make it do a d-tilt, like crouching or holding down. It only works on down direction from what I could tell, part of that reason I am thinking is because when you crouch, you can do an u-smash and a f-smash from the crouch; whereas, you cannot do a dsmash...also the u-air and fair have different properties when landing...but can anyone help to explain this? So far, I have only tried it on Pikachu, but I am thinking that it would work similarly on other characters

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
The developer's controller designs are full of mysteries. I'm still wondering why I sometimes jump if I try a B-Sticked Thunder.

gallax

Smash Hero
this works basically with all characters with the dtilt. like muhznit said, its a mystery as to why it works this way. i noticed it a while ago but never said anything.

as for the airiels, i would think that they auto cancel so it shouldnt matter that they have different landing properties. i am gonna check this out tonight since my smash buddy is coming over. more info to come later.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It does that with every character. I decided to test Lucas out and when I used the b-sticking method, he would normally wavebounce which is what I was going for. However sometimes he'd use his PK Freeze. Something similar to Ness. I wanted to make a pivot with Ness' PK Fire. I ran to the right, straight across Final Destination, pressed the c-stick to the left and he'd jump everytime. I was going for dash > b-stick > PKF to the opposite direction I was running. Sometimes trying to Firebound with Ness I found myself using PK Flash or PK Thunder which aren't the things I wanted to do. It could possibly be that the c-stick is sensitive or something.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Maybe, but I mean the whole controller thinking we are inputting a direction from the control stick, while really we are only pressing the c-stick seems a little odd...or maybe its brawl, recognizing that our character's position entails something to happen, like when they reach a certain height, do this, if you are X units above the ground, you must be crouching, thus d-tilt, kinda thing...but yeah from what I understand, b-sticking seems odd too, like if you spam it in a circle (the c-stick that is) you jump? Who knows

Uffe

Smash Hero
Maybe, but I mean the whole controller thinking we are inputting a direction from the control stick, while really we are only pressing the c-stick seems a little odd...or maybe its brawl, recognizing that our character's position entails something to happen, like when they reach a certain height, do this, if you are X units above the ground, you must be crouching, thus d-tilt, kinda thing...but yeah from what I understand, b-sticking seems odd too, like if you spam it in a circle (the c-stick that is) you jump? Who knows
That's another thing. Jumping in the b-stick command. I believe I had to dash to do this, but again I was using Lucas and I'd press either direction, left or right, whichever way I was going to try and wavebounce. Anyway he'd do a full jump with the momentum pushing him in the direction I was dashing. After that continuously pushing the b-stick to left or right, he'd use his PK Fire at a certain height.

Top Bottom