• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd IC "Techs"

Tushy

Smash Rookie
So, I've been messing around with Ice Climbers and found some rather strange things you can do with them. I'm not sure how well known any of these techs are, but feel free to inform me if this stuff is common knowledge among IC mains. (I gave names to each one because I don't know what else to call them)

Spawn Platform Desyncing

The thing about this is, I really don't know how to do it with 100% certainty. Basically what happens is Popo is still standing on the spawn platform, and Nana is running around with invincibility frames on the ground. I have a faint idea on how this works since I manged to do it a few times. I believe it has something to with the delay on inputs for Nana. Most of the time I do this, I'm usually in a SoPo situation. What I think you have to do to pull this off is inputting some sort of command after you die, just before you spawn. If you do it right, the few frames of delay will keep the input going long enough for Nana to decide to jump of the spawn platform, while Popo stands still. I've only done one notable thing out of this setup when I manged to make it happen. I was able to get Nana to Up-Smash while I falling Up-aired. I'm sure if you space that right, you could get a kill at higher percents by Up-Smashing someone into the Up-air. If I figure out how to do this consistently, I'll update this.

Shield C-Stick Up out of Wavedash

I'm sure most of you know that if you tilt up on the C-Stick while shielding, Nana will Up-Smash while Popo jumps. Well you can do this out wavedash if you hold down one of the triggers for a split second after the wavedash, and do a light shield, then just flick the C-Stick up. I think this would make an interesting mixup.
A lot of the things I'm about to cover next has to do with the Ice Climbers weird pivoting mechanics. I'm sure you've noticed how they slide a bit when they change directions. There are a few things you can use that pivot slide for. Some are useful, others... are rather pointless.

Wavedash Pivoting

While this can be done by all characters, I find it to be most useful for the Ice Climbers. This one can be used as a bit of a mind game, and maybe let you land a free grab or smash attack with Nana. It's done by short-hopping, then wavedashing backwards while still holding the analog stick in the direction you wavedashed. If done right, Popo will be sliding back towards the point you wavedashed from, and Nana will be flung forwards at least 1 or 2 Ice Climber character models in front of Popo. All you have to do now is follow up with a grab or smash attack. You are also able to do this wavedashing forwards after short-hopping, but it requires you to flick the analog stick relatively fast in order to pull it off.

*There's a few things to note about this one*
  1. Popo will slide back slightly towards the direction you came from, so you need to space this a bit.
  2. You might be able to do it off a normal wavedash but I'm a scrub and it's harder for me to do.
  3. The backwards version in my opinion has more viability because it's a lot easier, and you will be facing your opponent once you turn around.
  4. If you do spot dodge desync, then do a "Wavedash Pivot" you can have Nana "Wavedash Pivot" by herself, while Popo stands in place.
  5. You will be separating Popo from Nana, and if you miss the grab/smash Nana might get punished.
Pivot Short-Hop Desync

So I found my own little desync which is kinda neat. If you jump (preferably a short hop) and hold the analog stick the opposite direction the Ice Climbers are facing you will slide across the ground a bit. Now if you pivot back to the original direction you facing right after the first pivot, then hit the B button as soon as possible, you will be desynced. This doesn't seem work standing still on the ground for the most part unless you dash dance. You might be able to use this to desync as soon as you land from falling off the respawn platform though.

Pivot Ledge Snapping

I'm sure some people have to know about this by now, but I'm going to throw it in just in case. If you are very close to the ledge and face it, then pivot away from the ledge, you will fall off the stage and snap onto the ledge. I've been able to get Nana to ledge hog by herself doing this, so It has potential. Just be careful with it.

Pivot Dancing

Most likely the most useless, yet stylish thing ever. If you can pivot super fast, without dashing, you will slide back and forth, doing 360's for days. And if you time it right, you can "Pivot Dance" in a chosen direction.

I think that's pretty much it, if I remember anything else/find anything else, I guess I'll add to this. I'm not sure how viable any of this is, or whether or not these "Techs" are already known. I haven't really found any clear cut guides for the Ice Climbers in Project M, and don't have any real experience with them, so I sorta just experimented and found all this out on my own. Hopefully, I'm sharing something new.

-Tushy

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I don't want to be mean after you typed all of that up, but the first one is situational at best, we knew about the second one, and the last 4 are going to get patched out since they utilize a really annoying momentum bug that has to do with their pivot. Sorry mayne.

Top Bottom