• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd horizontal momentum lock with DB

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
I've lurked here a while to get tips on Marth and haven't seen any mention of this, so if this is a known thing, I apologize. It's not the same as the expected momentum cancel you usually get with DB; it only happens when DB is used at a certain point in Marth's jump, from what I've tested. If you do a full hop off the stage, and interrupt it slightly before the peak of the jump with DB, Marth's horizontal movement afterward will be extremely slow no matter how far you tilt the analog. You can still FF during this, though. The only way to regain normal control is to jump again or do an aerial, which means it could mess up an attempt to gimp if you try stalling with DB after jumping away from the stage.

Just wanted to post what I found as a warning, since I've had it happen to me before in a match (although I didn't find out the cause until tonight). I haven't tested the exact timing of it, but it doesn't seem to be a major problem since DB is usually done at the apex of a jump, and this only happens if you DB a bit earlier.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
You're not the only one, I've recently noticed this happening to me when I'm trying to do mix up edgeguards. It literally feels like there's a wall blocking Marth from moving horizontally when this happens.

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
Haven't been able to make it happen after downloading the patch. Can someone confirm that it got fixed? I might just have the timing off.

Edit: It happened to me in some online matches (made me SD while recovering), so it's not removed, but it seems harder to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom