• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observations vs Several Characters (A King Dedede Diary)

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Im not being too picky. Its simply against the rules. lol.

Theres an edit button. If you need to respond to something you can quote muttiple posts in one post.
Responding to posts while being on topic is not against the rules. If you really have a problem with three of my posts being adjacent to each other, why don't you just report me and get it over with instead of nit picking in this manner and hijacking the thread.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
i really don't think now is the best time to comment since i have no idea who's being described thanks to this April fools thing.
I agree. They have essentially shut down the forums for a day and halted most discussion.

EDIT: I'm conceding the issue about multiple posts. I want this thread to continue with it's intelligent discussion and not be drug down into the mud due to bickering. I will no longer respond with multiple postings and will consolidate responses into fewer posts. Now that the issue is out of the way, lets get back to the discussion at hand and help each other expand our games.

I've added a video to the opening post of one of the battles I have had against ZSS.

lain

Smash Master
Any tips for Lucario?
Don't fall for dair tricksies. They love that ****. Your bair blocks their Auraball (which isn't something too useful to know). Ftilt advance is a good idea (as well as for anyone else). Don't get too impatient.

Maybe its just me, but I can't chaingrab Lucario consistently so I put in random dash attacks.
You CAN chaingrab them, but you have to do it perfectly or near perfectly. Start the run as early as you can, grab when the time's right. Practice practice practice.

General rule I go by for chaingrabbing: If you chaingrab a Pit, you can chaingrab anybody. This is because Pit moves away the furthest from dthrow.

yo does anyone have tips on falco
You can gimp falco with repeated bairs, or bair-> fairs, or repeated fairs even. Your ftilt is farther then his shine so don't worry. If they ever ledgehop an illusion or simply illusion onto the stage, you can use utilt to hit them out of it (or time a bair).

Sorry I don't have too much advice, this game is still quite new. More to come later though.

LOL they switched around Falco and Captain Falcon for april fools. very subtle... very subtle...

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
You can gimp falco with repeated bairs, or bair-> fairs, or repeated fairs even. Your ftilt is farther then his shine so don't worry. If they ever ledgehop an illusion or simply illusion onto the stage, you can use utilt to hit them out of it (or time a bair).

Sorry I don't have too much advice, this game is still quite new. More to come later though.
That's definitely very useful advice against falco.

Any advice against pikachu? From the few matches I've watched online and player, it doesn't seem like a very good match up for DDD because pikachu's attacks are all faster than DDD's and he's a small little bugger (small target).

I've found that you can advance with f-tilt to cancel out his spamming B projectiles and eventually just make him eat hammer.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
That's definitely very useful advice against falco.

Any advice against pikachu? From the few matches I've watched online and player, it doesn't seem like a very good match up for DDD because pikachu's attacks are all faster than DDD's and he's a small little bugger (small target).

I've found that you can advance with f-tilt to cancel out his spamming B projectiles and eventually just make him eat hammer.
What a coincidence. I've just added a Pikachu section to the opening post. The Pika matchup is not an easy one I'm afraid. Any fast character, especially a small fast character, feels like an up hill battle for DDD.

Videos are on the way for each of the listed match ups. Youtube is taking forever to upload them.

CO18

Smash Hero
6. Do not Double or Triple Post This is self-explanatory, but do not double, triple, quadruple, etc. post. The exception is in the Creative Minds forum or if you do it by accident, but only when you are posting poems/stories/etc. If you need to add something, simply use the edit button. Please note that there is one exception to this rule, which is if you want to double post to tease McFox for having a lamer internet browser than you.

Double Posting Unnecesarily - 1 point, 1 week length

Triple posting unncesarily - 2 points, 1 week length

Quadruple or more posting unnecesarily - 2 points, 2 weeks length
Im not bickering. Its just in the rules^ they are there to read....

Im trying to help u out so u dont get ban points from mods looking at the thread but instead you take it as me attack you. Well im glad its out of the way.

Anyway the pikachu matchup sucks. Its mentally retarted.....

All he has to do is dair-->dsmash--> down b.

I dropped from 7th to 12th on SBR alone from today and all my losses were against pika spammers.

Do NOT roll around him otherwise you WILL be downsmashed.

Dont go in the air unless you know ull hit him because da fat penguin cant dodge his thunder.

The easiest way to beat pika is by camping which is extremely boring but its effective.

Approaching with Ftitls only helps to an extent because you have to be really on point with each tilt

Seriously the best way to beat him is play defesnively and shield grab all his attacks, throw him off the stage and edgeguard **** him as much as you can.

Anyway this goes under top 3 worst matchups for Dedede, along with Olimar.

lain

Smash Master
I play with Anther like... a lot. So I've gotten a lot of experience in this matchup >.< unfortunately I play him a lot.

If you're aggressive against a smart pikachu (so far, only Anther's pika beats mine), they're going to easily out-maneuver you and ****. You have to be smart with a lot of things. They key here is... SERIOUSLY... don't get impatient!

They're going to stand in their shield and wait for you to make a mistake by hitting it or just in general misspacing, because it is REALLY easy to misspace against a pika. Stand your distance, ftilt them, throw waddles. If they attack you and your shielding, they can attack you faster then any other move in your arsenal can come out (even grabbing), so always wait for that second attack and make your move.

A thing that everyone I've ever played has fallen for is if you hit someone with a 1-2 jab, and then proceed to the third constant jab, they don't move out of it for a while... netting a lot of damage. Then afterwards, leaving it out, people ALWAYS run into it. It's funny, but also a good defense. A lot of moves with huge priority (luigi's nair) will still get hit by this, leaving you to then let go while they are in the air and do whatever. Moves with disjointed hitboxes (Ness's moves, Lucario's, Marth's) will clang with the hammer and Dedede will be lag free.

Player tendencies taken into account, after ftilting someone, they'll simply have to jump. And they're either going to jump on top of you or away. If towards, utilt. If away, waddle them. They have to, there's no other way to punish ftilt (maybe a few, but I can't think of any). Just an observation of how good ftilt can control space.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Anyway the pikachu matchup sucks. Its mentally retarted.....

All he has to do is dair-->dsmash--> down b.

I dropped from 7th to 12th on SBR alone from today and all my losses were against pika spammers.

Do NOT roll around him otherwise you WILL be downsmashed.
Dont go in the air unless you know ull hit him because da fat penguin cant dodge his thunder.

The easiest way to beat pika is by camping which is extremely boring but its effective.

Approaching with Ftitls only helps to an extent because you have to be really on point with each tilt

Seriously the best way to beat him is play defesnively and shield grab all his attacks, throw him off the stage and edgeguard **** him as much as you can.

Anyway this goes under top 3 worst matchups for Dedede, along with Olimar.
I agree with everything you say here. The Pikachu matchup is very campy and Pika's moveset is quick and spamable. Very challenging for the larger and slower DDD.

Pika's Neutral B, Down B, and C-Stick Smashes are hard to contend with but it is winable. I've started having success with using Down Tilt to force a stalemate vs Pika's Neutral B spam and using my jab routine to smack them when they apporach. I got about 50% out of my jab routine once. It seems like Pika might have trouble getting out of it due to the hammer covering his whole body.

lain said:
They're going to stand in their shield and wait for you to make a mistake by hitting it or just in general misspacing, because it is REALLY easy to misspace against a pika. Stand your distance, ftilt them, throw waddles. If they attack you and your shielding, they can attack you faster then any other move in your arsenal can come out (even grabbing), so always wait for that second attack and make your move.

A thing that everyone I've ever played has fallen for is if you hit someone with a 1-2 jab, and then proceed to the third constant jab, they don't move out of it for a while... netting a lot of damage. Then afterwards, leaving it out, people ALWAYS run into it. It's funny, but also a good defense. A lot of moves with huge priority (luigi's nair) will still get hit by this, leaving you to then let go while they are in the air and do whatever. Moves with disjointed hitboxes (Ness's moves, Lucario's, Marth's) will clang with the hammer and Dedede will be lag free.

Player tendencies taken into account, after ftilting someone, they'll simply have to jump. And they're either going to jump on top of you or away. If towards, utilt. If away, waddle them. They have to, there's no other way to punish ftilt (maybe a few, but I can't think of any). Just an observation of how good ftilt can control space.
It looks like we have been having the same experiences. As I mentioned, Ive been having success with my jab routine. My opponent just seems to walk into it and have a hard time getting out of it.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
I've added another video vs ZSS. My next batch of videos will be vs Pikachu. If only YouTube would stop taking forever with my uploads. :(

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
So are the top 3 worst match ups GW, Olimar, and Pikachu?

What about diddy, falco, MK and toon link?

Just trying to figure out which we should be discussing more heavily than others.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet

Just trying to figure out which we should be discussing more heavily than others.
From personal experience, Sheik, Sonic, Pikachu, and Olimar all give DDD problems. Each match is winnable but they feel like they are an uphill battle. Timing and spacing are really important.

I've added two Sonic videos to the opening post.

CO18

Smash Hero

Game and Watch is hard because of his bairs but i tend to have pretty good success against him.

Falco and Mk > Game and watch against dedede imo.

Falco can chaingrab you from 0-50 and u cant do crap about it and then once u get to 50 he can just dash attack and upsmash right after for like an instant 80 percent damage and your hopeless. Make sure you tech land everything against falco or youll get laserlocked.
His Fsmash has uber range and is strong and quick to boot. My best friend mains him.
Just play really aggressively and throw him off the edge and edgeguard.

Diddy matchup.. i dont even remember havent played one in awhile but my friend use to main him and i played him everyday(pretty sure i have this matchup in the guide).

Uhh.. i just answered about MK and toon link to some guy asking on the guide if u need any help with that lol. Im gonna update it soon.... just been busy, ive got alot pretty good strats against most characters now cuz i play really good people on SBR alot and they all use a variety of characters.. But ill go more in detail......

Game and watches bair isnt as deadly as people think cuz u can just roll around him and grab him from there. If i had to pick, Top 3 worst matchups would be.

1. Olimar
2. Pikachu
3. Metaknigt (this is only against good Mk players though, thats when it becomes extremmely hard. Its still hard to beat olimar and pikachu even if a noob spammer is using them so if u havent played any good Mk's yet u may disagree with this.)

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Another small tidbit I found is that Dtilt is like, the only attack that will knock Meta Knight out of his B moves.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
- Romeo says Fair is great and has many applications. Those of which include
- Edgegaurding after dthrow near the edge (drop -> fair -> jump -> fair -> repeat)
- Drop zones
- Non-fastfalled, it auto-cancels so you can follow up immediately
- This, coupled with auto-cancelled bairs with followups, makes Dedede quite a hassle.
- Note that some enemies are too short to get hit by non-fastfalled fairs.

diwb throw>forawrd air, combo is nice, but Forward throw, back air forward air seems more usfull, because it sends them farther, and back air sets up for forward air kills. NUtral air nees someone as tall as or taller then Dedede to hit and auto cancel. I think forward air has the same height requirement

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
forward tilt stops pikmin toss and olimars forward smash/down smash (equal priority) but its quicker and if they try to approach dtilt stops

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
I've added two videos vs Link to the opening post. It's a pretty straight forward fight but projectile spam is very annoying.

AuraHammer

Smash Rookie
If possibe can you put in more tips against pikachu. I hate that little tiny rodent. My brother says I suck with King DeDeDe because he wins more against me when he uses that rat. :(

Im going insane because I really liked Pikachu and now I hate him with a burning passion.:mad::chuckle:

Im going insane... help. :lick:

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
If possibe can you put in more tips against pikachu. I hate that little tiny rodent. My brother says I suck with King DeDeDe because he wins more against me when he uses that rat. :(

Im going insane because I really liked Pikachu and now I hate him with a burning passion.:mad::chuckle:

Im going insane... help. :lick:
I have some more vids vs Pikachu that I'm going to upload soon. That's the best I can offer for now. I haven't been able to play much over the last couple of weeks to develop my game further.

Seeing as how my friend mains Pikachu, I'm going to have plenty of time to analyze the matchup further.

Unfortunately, my friends have developed their games to the point where they can really take advantage of DDD's weaknesses. I'm starting to feel like I'll have to switch mains soon to keep up with them.

EDIT: New videos vs Pikachu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0LhVmWZsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du9peLoY_5g

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
Any tips versus Snake? Recently Snake players have gotten me more frustrated than I've ever been. Grenade spam --> dash-canceled up-smash makes an approach nearly impossible for me. I can't punish the dash attack, because he goes straight through me, leaving a falling mortar in his path, covering up the only chase path. Not to mention when I do get close, his AAA or forward AA combos are fast, rack up damage, and can KO.

It seems like the only thing I can manage is to somehow get close enough without getting hit to do a chain grab (but grenades halt the chain grab). Also, a smart Snake player recovers high... no chance to gimp. If they recover low, I attempt to grab them and let them fall to their doom by breaking out of the grab, but a smart Snake recovers high and thus, I'm back to chasing them all over the stage.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
A notice for Ike: Waddle Dees can gimp his side-B recovery with the right timing. It will cause Ike to strike the Waddle and fall to his death.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I have some more vids vs Pikachu that I'm going to upload soon. That's the best I can offer for now. I haven't been able to play much over the last couple of weeks to develop my game further.

Seeing as how my friend mains Pikachu, I'm going to have plenty of time to analyze the matchup further.

Unfortunately, my friends have developed their games to the point where they can really take advantage of DDD's weaknesses. I'm starting to feel like I'll have to switch mains soon to keep up with them.

EDIT: New videos vs Pikachu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0LhVmWZsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du9peLoY_5g
Nice matches quondulen. I commented on the videos on youtube. But I learned the following points against pikachu.

-d-tilt and jab cancels many of pikachu's moves including his electricity
-DDD can shield grab after the first few hits of pikachu's down smash
-do not try to land in front or near pikachu when recovering; he has so many ways to punish DDD for doing this
-be prepared to air dodge against pikachu's aerials when in the air

overall, when using DDD, a defensive style with good spacing seems to be much more effective against pikachu than being aggressive

I thought you could have used more Bairs when pikachu recovered recovered. Also, how does f-tilt work for you? I figure since it out ranges pikachu's moves that it would be worth using.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Nice matches quondulen. I commented on the videos on youtube. But I learned the following points against pikachu.

-d-tilt and jab cancels many of pikachu's moves including his electricity
-DDD can shield grab after the first few hits of pikachu's down smash
-do not try to land in front or near pikachu when recovering; he has so many ways to punish DDD for doing this
-be prepared to air dodge against pikachu's aerials when in the air

overall, when using DDD, a defensive style with good spacing seems to be much more effective against pikachu than being aggressive

I thought you could have used more Bairs when pikachu recovered recovered. Also, how does f-tilt work for you? I figure since it out ranges pikachu's moves that it would be worth using.
When I first started this thread I was under the impression that Pikachu couldn't be shield grabbed between his electrical hits. But as I got better at the game I just started doing it reflexively. I was surprised to say the least.

I've almost completely stopped pursuing Bon in the air while off the stage because he is very good at using Pikachu's Up B to get around me. If I go up, he goes down. If I go down, He goes up. Pikachu's double Up B has a lot of range and speed on it. I have faked him out a few times causing him to go in a direction he didn't intend which resulted in a death that really shouldn't have happened.

F-tilt is a good move, but as you observed, it's hard to get close to Pikachu. When I fight against Pikachu I try to use moves with more knock back to keep me out of range of his down and side smashes as well as thunder. I've been caught by those moves after a F-tilt before.

Sometimes I get locked into a strategy mentally and I really have to work on mixing up my game. I need to utilize more neutral airs and up tilts. I also need to work on making F-tilt more useful in this match.

EDIT: New Vids:
Ice Climbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYfy3o6Ntf4
Sheik: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUUIZi0wBc

EDIT: More new vids:
Ike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgAdNLaSxM
Peach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEwTGNBlTg

lain

Smash Master
I guess I'm back to playing Dedede (only as a secondary though) but I'll stil contribute hahah

People don't react fast enough once they grab a ledge, so a good strategy is to let someone sweetspot, but then IMMEDIATELY run off and do a bair. It stays out for a long time and WILL stage spike someone if they don't react. Don't be too fast obviously.

Just a tidbit off the top of my head....

More later

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Hey guys whats up, I've been working on a new tech chase with Dedede. Its simple but ive killed a few times with it. It's Downthrow -> Run forward tech chase -> reverse upsmash charged slightly. This works where when people would roll towards you into a downsmash would work too.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Hey guys whats up, I've been working on a new tech chase with Dedede. Its simple but ive killed a few times with it. It's Downthrow -> Run forward tech chase -> reverse upsmash charged slightly. This works where when people would roll towards you into a downsmash would work too.
Yeah, it's pretty satisfying when you catch someone behind you with an up smash. The small of DDD's back is the most vulnerable point on his body and my friends really try to take advantage of it. Up smash, down smash, and down B are the only moves that cover that area of DDD's body.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I did something the other day that might make down B more useful. I had Pikachu off the stage and he grabed the edge. I started charging a F-smash but my friend saw it coming and just held onto the edge until my smash timed out. When my F-smash ended he climbed up expecting to hit me but I immediately hit down B after my F-smash ended. It nailed him and I got the kill. It was awesome. I really wish I had that one on video to demonstrate.

Just keep that in mind guys. If someone telegraphs your F-smash, immediately unleash a down B as they charge in expecting to punish your F-smash.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Olimar:

- If pikmin are latched on you from his side b up tilt will instantly kill all attached to you.

All of his other moves dont seem to be able to knock them off well at all, or as quickly as one up tilt does it.

- Ftilt will stop thrown pikmin from side b (cept yellows) when thrown from the ground, and cancel out olimars forward and down smash. Its good vs olimar to poke him with ftilt alot

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic cant be chain grabbed just fyi, all he has to do is up b and it gets out of it every time. if you manage to CG a sonic user, they obviously arent very good at the game.

you might also want to note, Sonic can u-air dedede at the top of dedede's up -b, sending him to a very early death. if you want to avoid that youre going to have to use your up-b beneath the stage.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Sonic cant be chain grabbed just fyi, all he has to do is up b and it gets out of it every time. if you manage to CG a sonic user, they obviously arent very good at the game.

you might also want to note, Sonic can u-air dedede at the top of dedede's up -b, sending him to a very early death. if you want to avoid that youre going to have to use your up-b beneath the stage.
I believe you can Chaingrab Sonic if you use Grab -> Downthrow -> shield dash cancel -> grab.

I could be wrong though.

CryoStasis

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i was wondering if you had any tips on dealing wit falco?
I can take care of pikas thanks to my training partner maining him =)
but falcos are by far my worst matchup
can ya help me?
:ohwell:

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Hey guys i was wondering if you had any tips on dealing wit falco?
I can take care of pikas thanks to my training partner maining him =)
but falcos are by far my worst matchup
can ya help me?
:ohwell:
Powershield lasers

also Downthrow tech chases work too.

Theres a few other things you can do but I'll let you figure that stuff out on your own : P

Also my above comment about Chaingrabbing sonic appears to be false, you can't Chaingrab Sonic.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
any good videos vs. Pit? afterall I have been having some trouble against him...
I might be able to talk my friend into playing Pit for some videos. He's pretty rusty with that character though.

Meta_Sonic64 said:
Anyone who attacks under D3 will interrupt the up-B if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, it's a travesty. He's so vulnerable when his jump is coming down, it's almost not fair lol. It's practically worthless when used as an offensive threat.

EDIT: New vids vs Zelda/Sheik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_U4h_0B2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwm-WIzzjag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjuAYBLhcw4

EDIT: New vids
vs Bowser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scl38w9j_d8
vs Lucario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTeW0JUNjLY

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i use dsmash alll the time. and the matches i find myself not using it i punish a roll and kill at 130%

i like how u incorpertae dtilt. thats the only thing i need to use more often

Top Bottom