• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure characters that could use a lot more

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
But before I begin, this is NOT a "these characters should be in Smash Bros." thread. Rather, this is about how these characters should appear in more games in their own series more often.

-Characters that only appeared once, but could have had a good reason for returning.
-Characters that, despite being so underused when they appeared, could be used a lot more if they came back.
-Characters that, if they appeared a second time, would be showing up in their series more often.

Okay, did you get all that? I'll give you some time to write it all down if you have to.

Got it now? Good, let's do this.

1. Ribbon (Kirby 64)

Because Adeleine sucks. There, I said it.

Ribbon was the one who got the plot going in that game at all. Despite not having many in-game roles, she at least had a whole world of her own to back her up and make things more interesting. What gets me is that she still can't even get at least any cameos in later Kirby titles, despite her world's "map" theme being played at times in some of them.

No, she doesn't need to be Kirby's love interest of any of that if she does come back. But you can't deny that the Kirby series does have a very peculiar shortage of female characters. And to top it off, there are also these similar-looking characters in Triple Deluxe:

Not only that, but if Rick, Coo, and Kine can return again in the flesh…

3:38~5:10

…Well, not sure what's stopping Ribbon. But at the rate the Kirby series is going, she probably won't again.

2. Prince Peasley (M&L Superstar Saga)

First off:

Why didn't he appear in Dream Team?!?

Seriously, that was the perfect opportunity for him to return in the M&L series. If several Beanbean people and the likes of Broque Monsieur (and a whole species based on him) and freaking Popple made it in that game, why not Peasley?

In short, we don't get…this kind of character in the Mario series that often. Even in Superstar Saga, he himself tried to get a bit more involved with the Mario Bros.' exploits and assist them if need be. That, and he sure added a certain kind of appeal to it. He would have been a perfect fit for Dream Team, maybe helping them out on any side-quests.

Hell, the only cameo in a later M&L title he even got was a mere 5-pixels-big poster somewhere in Peach's Castle in Partners in Time.

But there's always the 5th M&L. Maybe in that, he'll get his reappearance.

3. Mallow (Super Mario RPG)

Screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno, screw Geno

This guy is SMRPG's real deal.

At least Mallow also had stuff to back him up, like you know, a homeland and parents that rule it. Oh, and that Frogfucius guy. Throughout the whole of SMRPG, he showed much more personality and got a lot of the story going.

And unlike most of the other SMRPG-exclusive characters, he's the one who looks and feels the most like a Mario character.

But, he won't return again because, like Geno, he too is owned by Square.

4. Anthony Higgs (Metroid: Other M)

Just give him a chance.

So what about Anthony now? Throughout his appearance in this game, he added a touch of comic relief to it. (At least if you can call it that) It's not the kind of thing you'd see often in a Metroid title, but he was one of its redeeming factors, nonetheless. I also wouldn't object to him being a potential P2 for Samus in another game. If anything, it could pull him out of the "side characters nobody cares about" territory of this series.

But suffice to say, he probably wouldn't have another chance. Even if there is another Metroid title in the pipes, he probably wouldn't make it. Unless the team working on one (if it's another) liked him enough to carry on with him.

5. Ravio (Zelda: A Link Between Worlds)

This one might be a bit too recent, but even at this point, he looks like he could have much more going for him if he comes back in some form again. Could this guy be the next Tingle? Hell, he could probably make a minor appearance in another Zelda title for all I care. Probably the one on Wii U another 3DS title.

Hopefully, ALBW shouldn't be the one-off title that it feels like. At least they could give Ravio a spin-off series of his own, like Tingle had once.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I really wanted Anthony in the new Smash Bros. I thought he would make a great new rep the series dreadfully needs. He had such good potential too with his freeze guns and that giant cannon on him.

finalark

SNORLAX
The fact that the Merchant from RE4 never shows up in any other Resident Evil is a shame.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
The fact that the Merchant from RE4 never shows up in any other Resident Evil is a shame.
There's concept art floating around for 6 that has a mini-Merchant strapped to Leon's back as one of his Mercenaries costumes. Gets a chuckle out of me.

Speaking of Resident Evil, Billy from 0 and Carlos from 3 should see the light of day again. Especially Carlos, the accent drives the ladies crazy.

ReZo-nancE

Smash Rookie
I'm absolutely with you on Prince Peasley. He's my favorite character in the Mario & Luigi games!

I'm not with you on Adeleine, though. I really, really love her.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I was saying that out of frustration that everyone's always deliberately forgetting about Ribbon.

Top Bottom