• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

catsi3d

Smash Rookie
Yea ... so if we have a couple games ... what time and day u want them??

and i added your e-mail

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Do i really need a title? (pressed enter by mistake)

Good job people. My thread is gaining momentum,nice. Also, my site is only going to get bigger and other people can make pages too. It's a good way to support your crew, boast your talent, or post whatever the
f u c k
you want. I suggest it.

I just got an Action Replay,and if you don't know what you can do with AR I suggest reading up on it ---> on my site. Everything we figure out will be posted on the site. Like giant Boss battles, and how to fight on the "Find the Exit" level. Fun Stuff :laugh:

Hey catdog,how's it going man? Glad to see you finally admitted your skill. So naturally people want to play against someone like you. To see if they're really what they think they are..heh. So,that means you gotta attend any tourney here in N.S. to give people that chance. It's exactly what i needed to get this good.

Enough forum....

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Hey catdog,how's it going man? Glad to see you finally admitted your skill. So naturally people want to play against someone like you. To see if they're really what they think they are..heh. So,that means you gotta attend any tourney here in N.S. to give people that chance. It's exactly what i needed to get this good.

LOL well thanks, although it still doesnt feel good to say it. As for the tourneys im still undecided on that. I still think it would be more fun if my other friends play instead of me. Im still deciding if its time for me to pass on the torch, and slowly become "the myth". I feel with just a bit more training that will be really possible. Especially since Ill be going home in 3 weeks, if the right people are there then im going to be better when i come back in may, and when i go home in july ill definetly be better when i come back in september, being it would back to the crazy 15min battles with benching and consequences at the end. Ahh goood times. I got three that with bit more training they would be able to even beat u link. It really just comes down to know what u can and can not do. We will see what the future holds. Anway if you want to get rematch or whatever u want to call it, u might want to look at the comming down on the good friday weekend, thats the 14th, 15th, 16th. Thats when that new guy that I was talking to in the thread are going to play. If not then there is always be when I come back in may. Then Id have more of my friends in halifax that play and then we could get some good four person free for all going.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Well hope this intersts some people since we have so many people im thinking about holding a tourny at my place, although still have to get the okay from some people but im looking at may 13 id have definetly 3 of my friends playing with the possibility of 3 more added in for a total of 6. If it does happen i might be playing by my own rules only cause i dont really like the general tourny rules. hyrule must be freed

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Well ill do the best i can or take it till the level ur at. You might be me too 8 out of 10 is really good. Hoepfully You will be practicing for it.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Wow looks like my spelling has been terrible in my last posts. I was wondering if I was to hold a tournament in MAY would anyone have any problem with that month?

Catdog

Smash Rookie
well its been really quite the last couple of days so i figured id break the silence. I get back to hali next week saturday so if anyone is looking for a match or anything ill be more than happy to play them. Also about the tourny im thinking may at some point so if anyone has any problems let me know and if anyone is okay with that let me knwo cause if so ill probably announce a date for it on the 6th check

Catdog

Smash Rookie
seems like its gone quite agian so illl break the silence again. SSLINK whats going on with that tourny u were talking about anymore news?

coach

Smash Apprentice
Ill be up in halifax (actually sackville) for the month of July. Maybe I can work out some time to come smash with some people.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
i've been pretty busy,but i doubt there's many people checking this thread on a regular basis. if u do,post that statement...id like to know. i just started working,mon-fri,so anyone of my weekend are free and i wont have any problems going to halifax. just gotta find a time we can all agree on,i'd like to work something out before the end of July,excluding Catdog unfortunatly. and to you coach, what level of you skill are you? either way,im up for some matchs. what times exactly will you be available? that's all for now, stay sharp!
I forgot to mention that if anyone is interested in seeing a video of any character's hitboxs,i can do it up. let me know

coach

Smash Apprentice
I'm ok. I didn't make it out of pools at smash aid 7 which is one of the largest tourney's in the south (I had 3 top 15 players in my pool). I play a falcon you should aim me sometime next week and i dont know how easy itll be for me to travel while im visiting.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Catdog said:
Well hope this intersts some people since we have so many people im thinking about holding a tourny at my place, although still have to get the okay from some people but im looking at may 13 id have definetly 3 of my friends playing with the possibility of 3 more added in for a total of 6. If it does happen i might be playing by my own rules only cause i dont really like the general tourny rules. hyrule must be freed
I'm aware that I have, like, no business here, but, well, playing Hyrule in a tournament match is broken, because generally there's a time limit apart from the stock and any Fox/Capt. Falcon player can just get up by one stock and run circles around Hyrule until the time limit is over.

But hey your tourney.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
hey coach,i dont have AIM,just MSN. email me sometime,link_2112@hotmail.com. and as for traveling,u dont have to worry about it. i'd have my car,and if you couldnt come into halifax,i could go there. id rather discuss that in email tho,dont want to clutter this thread up too too much. i have some vid's of my playing i can send you.

and bornfidelity,first of all this is in no way an offical tourney. its totaly amatuer. and second of all if someone ever stalls like that during my tourny,it'l be 1 warning and then you'l be disqualified. i cant speak for all the people that might attend,but stalling would never even enter my mind. when it comes to the big times,naturally hyrule is banned. cause there's alot of losers out there. but i think,if both people can agree not to stall,hyrule is the best battle ground. if you know your stuff,even an opponent camping out in the bottom half wouldnt be a problem. just makes for longer,more interesting fights. i know catdog would agree with me on that :laugh:

lilindian

Smash Rookie
hey i just moved to NS. im goin to stfx in september but im about 45 minutes from antigonish right now. i can do the advanced stuff but i dont compete much. im lookin to smash with anyone really

Animus45

Smash Rookie
Hey again everyone, I've been doing some major renovations in my house, so having a tournament like expected has been more of an issue than i originally though. However, everything should be done within the next week, so I think I'll be holding a tournament here in Cole Harbour (10 minutes from Halifax) within the next few weeks. Best date would probably be the last weekend of July, or one of the first two weekends in August. ANYONE interested in attending give me some feedback so i can get a general count.

So once i get some feedback on which dates would work best for most people, I'll set a solid day to do this. Tournament will likely be reasonably competitive, and will be using standard MLG rules. Will probably have an entry fee, but nothing to get worked up about, just something for prizes.

Anyone reading this, please pass the word on to anyone else competitive you know in or around Nova Scotia.

You can email me or MSN me at animus45@gmail.com to discuss further details.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
obviously im in. i started this whole discussion :D so theres 2 here in Louisdale. Im glad ur doing all the work,i just dont have time anymore. I dont play smash as often as i used to, i got a ps2 now,with DBZ Tenkaichi. Great game,id like some challenges in that.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
yo lilindian,ill go face you. where do you live?

updates to the smash website coming soon

airball

Smash Apprentice
Trying to find out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Cr
Been a while since I posted here, but I'm up for some matches with some people. I just moved into the core of halifax, so it's a little easier to make some matches.

Anyway, Kevin, maybe you could update the first post here to include all the players who come forth? I understand much of this info is up on the N.S site, but I think we may get more people if the stuff is posted directly on smashboards.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Well guess its time I came back and said something. Seems like there is alot of talk about Tournys and stuff. So if somthing is going down let me know.
Oh yeah shout out to link thanks for having my back on hyrule.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
~~~~~TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT~~~~~
I now own a car. So it's finally time to make
this happen. How is the 16th for everyone?
Lets nail down a date that works for us all.
Send an email to me or post here with your
answers ASAP! The tournament location is
unknown,but somewhere in Halifax is the
central location. Anybody got room?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Tournament sounds good but im not sure on a date. Im in montreal right now so i wont an idea when im free till i get back on monday and plan my week out. So ill have to get back to you later

airball

Smash Apprentice
Tourney == great.

16th means I can probably make it, so long as I don't require car transport; I don't have one right now. I live on Connaught Ave., so I can walk a fair bit, but it has to be reasonable.

If I do go, I'm interested to see how I stack up. I continually best my friends, but this does not say much as they're not especially good.

One matter that needs to be addressed is rules. I am in favor of just using the MLG rules, but lets get a list we can get a general consensus on.

First Tourney FTW!

Animus45

Smash Rookie
16th works for me, 90% chance i can host it at my house in Cole Harbour (across the harbour from Halifax). If you're interested post here, or email/msn me: animus45@gmail.com, also, tell your friends!

ps. mlg rules for sure

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Well its still a bit early and I still have no idea what my week is gonna be like but if people can't make it to coal harbour then I wont mind (as long as its kool with my roommates) holding the tourny at my apt in quimpool. If that doesnt work i still have an ace or two, but i would hate to pull those out. Aslo there is the possibility of a car pool. As far as rules go i think it might be best if people just start posting what rules they would prefer, and from there we can come with rules that works for everyone.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Well its monday so I have an idea of what this week is gonna look like. Things look good so if there was a smash tourny this weekend that I would defintely be up for it. So Kevin if ur comming down to Hali I would be more than happy to dish out another beat down. :)

Animus45

Smash Rookie
If the issue is transportation to Cole Harbour, I'm sure we can arrange some carpooling. I bet Kevin would be a nice guy and cart some people over ;).
If somehow that doesn't work, we'll have to go to catdog's, if he's still able to have people.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
True True. Got to respect the parents, and i can understand the uncertainty about the situation espcially being it would be with people that could be categorized as strangers. The Main thing is to decide whether or not we are actually going to have this tournament and then from there we can work our way down. Still unsure about the tourny at my place. One roomates said yes and i still have the other to ask. A new problem has raised its head though. Unfortunatly it seems that my gamecube has enter its old age part in its cycle of life and so if it is held at my apt then someone might have to bring their cube in order to reduce frustrations brought on by freezing.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Looks good

Kick A$$! Everything works out perfectly. Lets just clear up the car confusion, I'll drive as much as I have to. That's not a problem at all, I think you'l find my car well equiped with a gamecube and smash in the back seat. So the day should be Saturday, so I can have my Friday night. Early, because I know how things take longer than you expect. I have no say in the place, that's up to you. And I'll have my gamecube with me, I use a Wavebird controller. And as for rules....

I like the idea of a "Season" where you gets points for a win, lose, or draw. And each "Regular Season" match, is 2 stock. Nice and quick. Depending on how many people we have together.. we each play each other 3-6 times. And the top 4 or 8 go into the "Finals". Each finals match is 3 stock, and its best 2 out of 3. And then there's a Champion.

Or we could do just a giant "Finals" format. Each match is 3 or 4 stock, and its best 2 / 3. And the last Finals Match up is best 5 / 7.

We can go 2 ways with Character Selection. Free choice or Loser Picks. Free Choice also has options as well, like who picks first, or if anyone cares. And Loser Picks brings strategy on who to use and can give someone who's losing a chance to use a character that better suits your opponent.

Then there's the rules on Stage Select. If 2 people can agree on a stage, then play it. Or Loser Picks. Or Winner Picks. Or 3rd party selection. Or Random.

Don't forget pausing is Illegal. It can lead to disqualification.

I think that covers the rules.

Anything else guys?

Animus45

Smash Rookie
I can go pretty easily on rules, but I think MLG rules would be the best bet. They are the way they are for a reason, and thats fairness. There's tons of imbalances in the game, and the rules are set in MLG so that the imbalances are as minimalized as possible.

Stock = 4
Items = Off
If we have enough people to play teams.. Friendly Fire = ON

Stages banned Great Bay, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside,
Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.

Now, I know some of you won't like some of the banned stages so i'm definitely willing to work around that. But there are some I just won't be able to live with (like brinstar depths or whatever). As for stock, I really think 4 is the magic number... Anything less and it doesn't give enough of an opportunity for a comeback incase you screw up, and anything more and the matches take too long. If it happens here, there will almost certainly be 2 TVs up, and we shouldn't have any more than 6 or 7 people, so we'll be able to grind through matches pretty quickly.

Tournament format.. I really don't care, brackets, round robin, points, whatever works for me

Catdog

Smash Rookie
Alright Well I asked my other roomate and he said he was a little uncertain about it. I was able however to pull out and ace and my friend said we can have it at his house which is about a 5 min walk from my apt. I aslo dont think that there will be 2 tvs, so if thats an important factor then it might not be the best choice.

As far as rules go i agree that items should be off. For stock 4 is a little to much. I feel 3 is a better magical number as it makes things quick and still allows for combacks to be made and mistakes to be fixed.

As for levels well this might sound a bit harsh but u cant call ur self good if u cant fight on all levels. But if lots are dont like some then mabye we can have like vetos or something that takes maps off but leaves some off. I like the idea of loser picks or Random.

Also if we do have enough for teams and do choose to play teams that Friendly Fire should be off. I cant really justify this, it just seems stupid that friendly fire would be on.

So thats about it so we have 3 days to decide if we are going to do this and were its gonna be and how we are gonna do it so lets hurry up and come to a decision.:)

Animus45

Smash Rookie
Friendly Fire off is ridiculously less strategic. I personally see it stupid off. Peach dsmashes, marth fsmashes and any other large area attack absolutely dominate, because you can just spam them through your teammate acting as a barrier. Or even worse falco lasers, samus missiles, dr.'s pills etc... well whatever.

For the stocks, i'll play whatever, it'll just take some getting used to as i've never played less than 4.

For levels, lets play hyrule, and i'll be fox, and then we'll see how balanced some levels can be and how "skill" can allow your slow character to be fast enough to catch the speedy little ****er spamming lasers. Anyway, I don't want this to be a debate, I just want to respond to some issues i think are important and not quite seen in full by some people.

Again, i'll play any rules, any level.

Catdog

Smash Rookie
I hear ya. Are differences in experiences with team battles would lead us to possibly have differnt points of views which is understandable. As for stocks dont really matter much to me as long as items are off.

As for the hyrule ill be more then happy to make an attempt at fighting ur fox and his fast lazer with a slow character. It should defintely be entertaining.

Although this is not the issue I would rather have a location picked out so we can at least do this. Seems like all we are doing is talking and if all we do is talk then this is gonna be to disorganized to hold. So i guess the question is where would you perfer the tourny to be held. What is the most convient location for you (you being anyone comming). We have to possible locations

A) Coal Harbour (hope i spelt that right no disrecpect if i didnt)
B) Halifax

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Well lets look at it this way. There's my group,doms group,hughs group,and the others. Most people are in Halifax. So the best place is right in Halifax. Id like be in Halifax with my new car, drive around and stuff. So I think Dom's Ace sounds pretty good. We can bring a tv froms Hughs if he has one and we can have 2 tvs going. We need to know how many is in each of your groups, so guys find that out. Ask anyone you know and give the number of confirmed,and possibles.

Rules:

Items off - Definately
Time Limit - 7 mins, stalling loses you the match
Stock - 3 is best for most matchs, and 4 stock for the finals
Level - If 2 people can agree, if not Loser Picks. Or just Random
Character - 2 options - Fixed or Change
Fixed - You keep the same character for the whole set
Change - Winner keeps his char, and Loser Changes
*for both Level and Character a coin is flipped to decide who picks the first one*
*Random Level includes the MLG accepted stages*
Friendly Fire - Hmm...i'll have to agree with Hugh. FF ON
theres too much room for abuse
Format: We can just do a totally random placement. Or..we all play each other twice,2 stock. A win gets you a point. And then we'l have ranks, and that will determine what order we play in. I like the rankings idea. We can match up the top half and the bottom half people together. Lets just give it a try, and see how it turns out. We could probably have more than 1 tournament. Just to try different formats,see what would be best for future use.

So step 1 is getting a head count. Find out who is going to be able to show up 100%
I am of course, and my friend Steven has a 75% chance of coming.
Also I will be leaving New Glasgow around noon,maybe closer to 1:00. So 3:00 will probably be the time we start gathering. And hopefully get this thing going around 4:30-5:00

Ok, so the level debate. Hyrule is banned for a reason, you can run around and stall. The only people that stall are the ones that truly cant play. So, if you stall your a pu$$y. Just fight. In which case the level doesnt matter. Each level has its own strategy and its good to mix it up. Nuff Said.

We can also try Teams play. Ditto Tourney,each match up is a ditto. One thing that is wicked fun is playing with the Rabbit Ears item on minimum. Battle Royale!

airball

Smash Apprentice
I am going to try my absolute best to attend, but again this comes down to my parents. I will discuss this with them, but I really can't go to them with no details. Before I can be 100% sure I can go, I need to know exactly where this will be, exactly when, etc.

I have also grown to hate stages that aren't allowed in high level tournaments. However, this is going to be my first tourney, and I'm too hyped to be picky. Team play... I don't have a partner, but I suppose I could meet someone on site.

Hmm... No one's mentioned an entrance fee?

I think someone should get all the definite information compiled, and then make a new thread in TD.

EDIT: Also, if I can come I will bring my cube, but people still have to bring their own controllers. I'll bring a few, but I only have one in really satisfactory condition to play a tourney with.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
I never even thought of money >.< I have an endless supply so I'll pay whatever. 5 or 10 sounds good. And for prizes 1st 60% 2nd 30% and 3rd 10%. If theres 10 people 3rd place gets you your money back. If theres less we can work something out. But I'd say that's acceptable. And today's the day we all get more details. Get on it fellas. Ask your friends. Dom, talk with your Ace of Diamonds and make sure everythings cool for saturday afternoon,around 4. It'l probably last 1 - 2 hours. At least 1. And nobody say anything about not having a drive..ever.

Top Bottom