• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Notice this about Brawl's AI?

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Actually, a couple of things. It seems obvious to me over the years of playing, I imagine others have noticed this too. I was wondering if there was any good literature and details about this though.

At least in respect to lv.9s, most likely any level, in a free for all with multiple AIs, a specific one is always the designated 'good' ai, that performs better than the others even at the same level. And distinctly and certainly deliberately so. They basically feed kills to the good AI, which is a bit annoying. And even with just one AI, there seems to be different sub-levels in any given level of an AI, where any given level can be distinctly more or less difficult.

The next thing is more obvious. When you play three AIs in a free for all, how comical is the anti-human bias? Every time you die, they basically stop fighting each other and start marching across the stange after you hand-in-hand.

Also, computers are horrible at fighting one another for that matter. They fight like spazs if you ever find yourself with the down time to watch two AI duel each other

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yeah we can confirm that Brawl's AI hates human players and will bully human players without question in 4 player matches.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
AIs lolololol
They learn from you, that is obvious, My main, TL, I play on 24/7 and now even a lvl ~5 TL is hard if I'm just on a random character just for fun.

They go harder on you after their first or second death? I think maybe they just observe you for a while before really full-on attacking. I purposely hit myself with Snake's remote missle thing in the early stages of the AI evaluation (in Training) and after that, Snake (A lvl 9 computer too) overused the missile, making him really boring to fight.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yep, there are a few videos that have done tests on how the ai learns from you. A lot of perfect shields on the ai's part -_-. The real debate is, does it affect that game only or does it go across games? Will they take what they've learned and use it another time?

Also, It's obvious to see that they follow you perfectly on the ground when you are in the air above them. And personally, I find pikachu spams thunder while edgeguarding me.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Indeed, script will perform inhumane stuff, reactionary - But the other things tend to be a bit more mechanical, such as who they focus on.

Seeing as I can only play vs CPU, I've noticed a few things along the way - For one, their attention does tend to shift if you abuse ledge grabs - I usually start CPU games by doing so seeing as 90% of games involve CPU ignoring eachother just to gang up on the human. Hell I just watched one of my CPU practice vids after reading this topic and noticed the two lev9 CPU involved almost completely ignored each-other for 90% of the entire game, only hitting each-other by pure accident with a few very short timed exceptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da_sntCwHrw

Now that I think about it - That's chronically harsh for people wanting a bit of fun or trying to learn. I don't believe they learn as the fight goes, unless it's proven. It'd be easy to think they do due to above mentioned reactionary scripting, where they'll happily spot-dodge or insta-shield everything on demand, Matrix style - That can be worked around - But a lot harder when 2-3 CPU decide to be best buddies and make it a 2-3 v 1 :p

They also have very strange behaviour when it comes to being near KO health - Sometimes they'll ignore EVERYTHING just waiting to land a KO on the human - Many times I've been heavily knocked into the air and the two CPU will stand next to each other on the platform and just follow the players movements together non-stop rather than bother to attack a target standing 1 pixel away (Again, grouping up) but rarely seem to do this against other CPU's - This usually ends once the player is KO'd or you resume ledge-grabs. I think they also switch focus if a target hits them enough, beit player or CPU - Think of it like 'aggro'. They most definitely ditch 'grouping' if there is no other option to hit the player, such as being stuck together in that little safe-spot with no way of leaving to attack the player like above video (Or during the time the player has been KO'd - Again, can't hit the player).

All speculation of course.

Last edited:

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
ive never really had trouble with this but then again probably because of adaptation i used to play it over the summer when i was 13 often up to 17 hours a day but in 3ds i have noticed it because im not as used to it

Top Bottom