• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Notes on unlocking custom moves using Smash Run

squaminator

Smash Ace
Hello all. I just spent a whole week trying to unlock all the Custom Moves in Smash for 3DS. I'm still not done, but I'm down to 1 or 2 moves left on about half the cast, the rest of the cast I've finished unlocking moves for. I'm listing some tips below to help the next generation of custom smashers finish this, but first let me explain why I chose smash run.

I tried using the home button trick in classic mode (http://smashboards.com/threads/a-guide-to-unlocking-custom-moves-quickly.371547/), but on my 2ds I found it took a while to go to and come back from the home screen, I was bad at the timing to only let it spin 1 notch while pressing home, and I never got many custom parts from it. Looking back, I might have gotten the parts faster doing Classic, but I think it's easier and more fun to do it in smash run.

On to the tips!

1. For equipment I found that 2 of the highest power attack equipments and 1 speed equipment works best. This will make you wind up with ~50 speed and >50 attack, and <-50 defense. The low defense doesn't matter, work on your wall teching and if you die it's just a free teleport. The speed and attack are extremely important. I tried with just pure speed and that works pretty well, especially with the right powers, but you end up weak as a butterfly because the speed equipment decreases attack.

2. Kill all the normal enemies. The big boss type guys like polar bear or bulborb are usually not worth killing, but if you need to kill them go ahead and use a spinning swords. Actually, survival hard I've found the best way to beat is to pop spinning swords as soon as the polar bear spawns and just upsmash him until he dies. A lot of the normal enemies have a chance of dropping a custom part, but even the most powerful of bosses will never drop more than a single item.

3. Spinning swords is amazing. It will basically clear any challenge door for you, help you defeat 30 enemies at once, and you can activate powers while being combo'd. This power has done most of smash run for me. I cannot stress how important this power is to use. Get the level 4 one if you can. EDIT: You have to be fast to kill the 30 enemies, slow characters have a hard time in Smash Run.

4. Any character can do smash run as long as you set up the equipment as listed above, 2 strength 1 speed. Try to keep your jump and speed below 500 or else it can be difficult to kill things or do survival medium.

5. only 6 custom parts can be gotten in any smash run. once you have 6 custom parts NO MORE WILL DROP! you can just afk until the smash run part is over

6. the final battles do not matter. There are only 2 which you can actually speed up. RUN takes two minutes with no inputs, and Stamina Smash can theoretically take forever with stupid AI on certain stages. Who wins the final battle might influence which moves get unlocked, but all I have so far on that is superstition.

Please post your experiences with Smash Run, and any tips you might have!

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
actually, speaking from a "getting high scores" viewpoint, very few characters should even bother with speed equipment, and only Zelda should ever consider defense equips with no lol penalties (like harder edge grabs or weak item toss)

high attack = kills enemies much faster = gets lots of stats= you are overall pretty strong. people like Ganondorf or Robin definitively should pakc a speed equip to help them reach their enemies fast to begin with.

Spinning Blades are pretty good. For unlcoking custom moves i'd say pakcing ONLy variations of that with 3 speed equips should be great for roaming the maze and killing enemies, enough to get 6 drops.

one thing that is very important: Fly guys do NOT care for the 6 custom part limits. they will give you more drops (i dunno if these have a limit of their own because they are very hard to get), but it should help if your character can easily deal with polar bears and ghatlys in survive hard (unlike, say... jigglypuff)

To actually get a high score, tho? packing health recovery (you have low defense, and deaths seem to be a -30000 points + lost stats.... really bad) and the boss-slayer combo of hammer+Brief invincibility ()with maybe spinning blades at the same time) is awesome too.

Packing power bomb when you don't have really strong moves or fire attacks is good for Polar Bears in general. also great when you don't want to waste other powers if you come across Crystal Smash hard while your attack is not good enough for the job.

Top Bottom