• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not really sure where to post videos for critiquing, so I will just make a new thread

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Sorry for the incompetence, but whatever it's cool. I got to get a match of my Puff on stream a few weeks ago and I thought posting it for video critiquing would be a good idea. The match with Puff starts 5 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYUzBqIQuc&feature=youtu.be, I usually have trouble against Marth so if anyone could tell me some specifics of stuff that I do that would normally be bad that would help a lot. Thanks!

Galapagos

Smash Rookie
The main thing I'd say is that the ledge is not a good place to be against Marth generally (unless of course he's offstage) - if your opponent's spacing's good he can kill you with the tipper as you try and get off at some insanely low percents (this is why you should probably ban Yoshi's), so when recovering land onstage if you possibly can. You have to be kinda defensive in this matchup a lot of the time cause he can outrange you, but once you get in by punishing a roll or a missed fsmash or something you can really make it count - just get him in the air and carry him offstage with bairs/fairs. If he's above you, especially on a platform, you can get some great mileage out of upairs too.

Overall I think this matchup's a lot harder than people think (as is the case with a lot of Puff's matchups, unless that's just me being a scrub) so just be patient, wait for your opportunities and try and get a read on your opponent's movement.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
  • Your neutral position against Marth should be crouching. Don't jump around so much, it's too easy for him to dash in, get an up-tilt or something, and then start juggling you and making it hard to land or getting platform tech chases or whatever.
  • In general, you should be more patient. This Marth didn't seem like he wanted to grab you much, so hanging out in shield, waiting for him to swing at you, and punishing would probably have been effective. If a Marth starts calling out your shielding with grabs then that's a problem, but this Marth went for like two grabs the whole game.
  • You converted off the drills nicely (got the l-canceling for the most part), but I think you threw it out a bit too often. You're not going to outrange a Marth by coming down on him with dair, you'll just get up-tilted or tippered. It's a good option in certain situations, but it's not usually a good way to approach nor land if you're trying to get down.
  • Your recoveries could be better. Going to the ledge against Marth is dangerous. You're on Dream Land and you have rising pound, go ahead and take the five seconds to pound over to the top platform. Or at least to above center stage so you have some options for where to come down.
  • The taunt was great, 10/10. Obviously only throw it out if you're confident you're going to win, but you beat him, so it's whatever. Same with the rest.
  • This is related to your recovery, but I just noticed it, so I'm putting it down here. You pound to the ledge a lot, which is a really common new-ish Jiggs player habit. A lot of the time bad players will mess up the spacing on their edgeguard or misjudge how long the hitbox stays out, so they'll get hit by it. But in general, it's laggy and unsafe. Especially against a Marth. Marth can comfortably sit out of range and tipper you while you're still in your pound animation. If you notice you're getting away with it, it might be okay to exploit that some, but in general you should try to find a safer way to recover. I like using the sing-cancelled ledge grab to grab the ledge from beneath the stage. Most people don't realize you grab the ledge from farther away when you do that, so you can get there without jumping up and risking getting edgeguarded. Some attacks (like Marth's down tilt) will probably still poke you, so it's not always the right choice, but it's a good option.

Top Bottom