• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not improving my gameplay

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
This is my third month of playing smash and I don't feel like I have gotten any better since I started. I'm comfortable with movement, things like edge guarding and rest set ups with Puff, but I am still getting crushed half of the time. I have had people watch my friendlies and tell me what I am doing wrong then I do correct crushI make an effort to correct it (like not using the same roll and tech options). But other than that, I still lose to pretty much the whole cast of characters from different people. Is it just taking time in learning the MU and learning what not to do? Or am I just not a good player as the people I compete with? What's your experience on the matter?

Last edited:

Happens2u

Writing Team
I went 6 months without winning one tournament set and tonight was the first time I won money at a tournament. It just sort of takes time. Supposedly SFAT took 2 years to win his first set. You just have to get crushed by really good people for quite a while.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
It's likely that your neutral game sucks. I'm not trying to be mean, but thats how it is with a lot of players. Developing a sense of when to approach and when to begin punishing is the most important part of this game. Unfortunately its also the hardest to learn. There are very few players who have a full and thorough understanding of how neutral works.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I had the same problem in the past. The way I got over it was just really by studying tech, frame data, and combo setup. But the most important thing to do when you feel like you can't get any better is just to play a LOT more. Bots are good for practicing combos and ledge guarding, but to really improve, try to find a training buddy that's around your skill level and play for a few hours a day.

Top Bottom