• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

not grabbing the ledge after a wavedash??

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Hi everybody, so when I do a full long wavedash backwards next to the ledge trying to edgehog with falcon and marth (I know this isn't marth discussion forum but it happens with him too) i would perform a perfect wavedash but also continue to fall off stage without grabbing the ledge. I have experimented with fox and falco and that doen't happen with them no matter how horizontal/long the wavedash is; I also know that if you hold the stick down (fast fall) whe trying to edgehog you won't be able to grab the ledge with any character, however i'm pretty sure I realease the stick pretty quickly and the direction I input is not low angled/downwards. SO does anyone know why this happens with falcon and marth??

Last edited:

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
if you have a video I could tell you better, but it sounds like you may be fast-falling even though you're not trying to. try letting go of the control stick completely right after you wavedash. I hope I could help (or maybe someone else knows what is happening)

carnivore

Smash Cadet
holding away also stops you from grabbing the ledge. to fix it I usually just tap down to fast fall to the ledge (this is better anyway), but if i'm not confident in my timing i just hold inwards to the stage and that always works

looking guy

Smash Cadet
holding away also stops you from grabbing the ledge. to fix it I usually just tap down to fast fall to the ledge (this is better anyway), but if i'm not confident in my timing i just hold inwards to the stage and that always works
holding away doesn't stop from grabbing the ledge unless you have already grabbed it, trust me, I have tested this a lot, on the other hand, holding the stick down does makes you miss the ledge

looking guy

Smash Cadet
I have done multiple tests with characters these few days and I can tell you some facts: besides falcon and marth the others characters with that issue/peculiarity are peach,mewtwo, link,young link and puff; with the rest of the cast you won't see this happening, try it yourself.

carnivore

Smash Cadet
it's dolphin emulator, and if you look at the inputs you can see i hold away as i wavedash off, that's what causes falcon (and as you noticed some other characters) to slide off without grabbing the ledge.

you can do something similar on fox/falco if you back air as soon as you're in the air

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Ok BUT your first input was very diagonal, one could no say if that was more donwwards than sidewards, THEN you slide the stick from there to the side without letting go the stick to neutral, which is not how I ( and pretty much nobody ) do it, also it is not necessary to move the stick too horizontaly in order to get a full long wavedash (actually if you do so, you will do an airdodge and fall hepless) imagine the control stick sorrounded by clock numbers, the most ideal/less risky place to input the stick is toward 8 for a full long WD

looking guy

Smash Cadet
it's dolphin emulator, and if you look at the inputs you can see i hold away as i wavedash off, that's what causes falcon (and as you noticed some other characters) to slide off without grabbing the ledge.

you can do something similar on fox/falco if you back air as soon as you're in the air
Ok BUT your first input was very diagonal, one could no say if that was more donwwards than sidewards, THEN you slide the stick from there to the side without letting go the stick to neutral, which is not how I ( and pretty much nobody ) do it, also it is not necessary to move the stick too horizontaly in order to get a full long wavedash (actually if you do so, you will do an airdodge and fall hepless) imagine the control stick sorrounded by clock numbers, the most ideal/less risky place to input the stick is toward 8 for a full long WD

carnivore

Smash Cadet
i'm not arguing what a perfect wavedash is, i'm just answering your question.
there are two cases where falcon can wavedash off and not grab the ledge,
1. you fast fall past it
2. you hold away from it

so knowing this, which case applies to you? since you're doing perfect wavedashes, close to horizontal, you're holding away enough as you go past the ledge to not grab it. simple.

looking guy

Smash Cadet
i'm not arguing what a perfect wavedash is, i'm just answering your question.
there are two cases where falcon can wavedash off and not grab the ledge,
1. you fast fall past it
2. you hold away from it

so knowing this, which case applies to you? since you're doing perfect wavedashes, close to horizontal, you're holding away enough as you go past the ledge to not grab it. simple.
none. I do a perfect wavedash but I DO NOT hold away from it, I have focused on releasing the stick as fast as possible (and I do it naturally all the time with every character I play). man I have even tried this in the practice mode at 1/4 letting the stick go to neutral ASAP, which at normal speed would be insanely fast and I don't grab the ledge anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom