• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not even K.O.’s can save you from me! - Diablo for Smash Bros Ultimate!

What is your place in this crusade?

• Bring our Lord of Terror into Smash Brothers!

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Keep that monster in Hell where he belongs!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1534376077939.jpeg

Who is Diablo?
Diablo is the titular Lord of Terror of the Burning Hells in Blizzard’s series of dungeon crawlers, and the main antagonist of the game. Diablo has been known for his war against the angels of Heaven, especially his old rival Imperius.

Why should he be in Smash?
Currently in Smash Bros, third parties have to fall in one of two criteria: either they have to be close in Nintendo’s history (Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man) or influential to the gaming industry as a whole (Snake with Stealth games, PAC-MAN for Arcade games, Ryu for fighting games, Cloud for JRPGs and recently Simon and Richter Belmont for the Metroidvania subgenre). Diablo falls in the latter category, as his games were one of the most iconic in the dungeon crawler genre, rivaled only by Japan-made competitor Etrian Odyssey. And with the (premature) announcement of Diablo 3 for the Nintendo Switch, I feel as if it’s time for the Prime Evil to join the ranks in Smash Bros!

What does he have going against him?
Diablo is made by Blizzard, a game situated in America, and that hinders his chances a little bit even with Diddy Kong, King K Rool (Both made be Rare, a British game company) and Dark Samus (Made by Retro Studios, an American game company under Nintendo’s wing) in Smash as of the time of this thread. Also, despite StarCraft 64, the Lost Vikings and now Diablo being on Nintendo consoles, Blizzard doesn’t have much history with Nintendo and the relationship between the two at the moment is unknown.

How would he play?
I’m glad you asked me that! Here’s a moveset I made for him:

Overview: Diablo is a raw rushdown character who also has some stage control tools. He has a high combo game and a good comeback mechanic in the form of his Shadow Clones, but there is a few risks: his grab game isn’t that special, his F-tilt can risk SD’ing, and his specials can be complex for the inexperienced.

Unique mechanic: Shadow Clones: When Diablo takes 35% damage, he will summon a shadow clone of the last fighter that hit him. They have the same AI as the lowest difficulty Master Shadow and will disappear after taking 50% damage or after 45 seconds pass. Diablo cannot summon another Shadow Clone until the existing one is dead and he takes another 35% damage afterwards.

Jab: A double claw slash before swiping with the tail.

Side tilt: Diablo thrusts a glowing blue hand in front of him, slowing anyone that it hits.

Up tilt: A scissor slash with his arm-blades.

Down tilt: A tail sweep with immense range.

Dash attack: A charging headbutt.

N-air: Diablo spins in the air, his tail outstretched.

F-air: Diablo grabs the opponent and slams them downwards. This is the first ever grab to be designated to an F-air.

D-air: Diablo creates a burst of lightning underneath him. Can meteor smash.

B-air: Diablo jabs three times behind him with his tail.

U-air: Diablo slashes both arm blades above him.

Grab: Diablo wraps his tail around the opponent’s neck.

Pummel: Diablo squeezes the opponent’s neck.

F-throw: Diablo releases them and jabs them in the gut with his tail in a split second.

D-throw: Diablo slams the opponent into the ground in front of him.

B-throw: Diablo throws them behind him, releasing them from his tail.

U-throw: Diablo uses his arm-blades to send the opponent upwards.

Side Smash: Diablo reels back and smashes his arm into the ground in front of him, casting Firestorm in front of him, indicated by fire streaking along the ground for a third the distance of Final Destination.

Up Smash: Diablo shoots his tail upwards. If he grabs anyone, he’ll smash them down into the ground, damaging anyone else as they goes down.

Down Smash: Diablo slashes front of himself and behind himself with his hooves.

Neutral B: Fireball: Diablo casts a fireball that goes along the ground. If it hits anyone, it explodes and leaves a pool of fire that deals damage-over-time to anyone standing in it for a few seconds.

Side B: Fire Wall: Diablo surrounds himself with fire before more fire shoots out in front of him in a quarter-of-a-Final-Destination range. Anyone who passes through it will take some powerful fire damage, but they can only hit by a Fire Wall once per cast.

Up B: Bone Prison/Teleport: Diablo plants a small black pool in the ground. Bone Prison has two uses: the first is as a recovery if the player uses Up-B again, in which Diablo will teleport there. Using this, however, has some long start-up and recovery. On the other hand, any player that’s trapped in here may immediately have Diablo teleport back there and drain a bit of their health before sending them flying. Regardless of the use, Bone Prison has a 10 second cooldown.

Down B: Flame Circle: Diablo will stomp on the floor and summon a circle of fire that spreads out until it reaches a two-Bowser Radius. This can be used as a good defense option.

Final Smash: Red Lightning Hose: Diablo will release a large stream of fire and lightning from his mouth that reaches across the entire screen. The player can use the joystick to change trajectory. The attack itself has some unique properties: when hitting a shielded enemy, it will do chip damage to both the shield and the shielded player.

Do you wish to join the Cult of Diablo? Sound off if you wish to see our Lord of Terror in Smash!

NOTE: I wanted to post this yesterday, but decided to hold off until today, the day Diablo 3 was supposed to be announced. (I mean, srsly, Forbes. Why’d you go an spoil that for us, huh?)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd love to see any Blizzard character get in Smash. I made a thread for Kerrigan that no one responded to. With the leak of Diablo on Switch, I believe the chances for either character went up.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'd love to see any Blizzard character get in Smash. I made a thread for Kerrigan that no one responded to. With the leak of Diablo on Switch, I believe the chances for either character went up.
It is not just a leak anymore, there is a official trailer.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
is obviously impossible for the base game... but who knows for teh future?

Still i never played Diablo III (played my fair share of Diablo II though), but i may consider getting it for the switch if the offline coach coop is great.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Diablo is a franchise that is mainly associated with PC.. I would be very very surprised if anything from Blizzard, or any major PC company, gets into Smash. I feel like this is a precedent that has not been set yet. Nothing is impossible, but I think getting a PC character is one of the most unlikely things that could happen.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I support. This sounds like it could be fun and I'd be up for any Blizzard Entertainment Character in Smash, even though my personal pick would be Zeratul.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It's all mighty convenient: a fiery smash ball, Mega Man killed, Mario killed, Luigi killed then turned into a ghost, the rumored Spirits Mode, now Nintendo announcing a Switch port for Diablo 3 whose main antagonist is basically Satan.

I dunno about being a playable character but I can see Diablo becoming a boss.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's all mighty convenient: a fiery smash ball, Mega Man killed, Mario killed, Luigi killed then turned into a ghost, the rumored Spirits Mode, now Nintendo announcing a Switch port for Diablo 3 whose main antagonist is basically Satan.

I dunno about being a playable character but I can see Diablo becoming a boss.
Out of curiosity, who would YOU feel is a more likely playable character? Deckard Cain like some of the Blizzard devs have said? The Barbarian? The Necromancer?

CRAP! Triple posted. Don’t know how to fix this!

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think that Blizzard actually might push for Diablo. although Deckard cain seems like a nice option...

but diablo is too big!

I honestly would love to see Ganondorf, Zelda and Link in Heroes of the Storm though....

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, question for you all:

A lot of people out there don’t like Diablo’s design from D3, and would much prefer his D2 design, but D3 is the most likely representation here (not to mention there are some people who like the D3 design, myself included). So here’s my solution: a composite Diablo, like they did with Ridley. Give him his muscular and imposing physique of his D2 design with some hints of his D3 design (horns, extra arms, mouths on shoulders). Boom. We please both sides.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I love the Diablo series but I don't see it happening. At the very least, we might get a trophy or AT from the series.

Perhaps he could appear as a Boss in the Single Player mode, I would love that!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Question time: if Diablo did make it into Smash Bros, what stage would you want to come with him?

At first I was thinking...

The Crystal Arch, considering that’s where you fight Diablo...

...but then I thought, maybe the Old Cathedral would make a better stage considering that is one of the more iconic early-game areas in Diablo. What do you guys think?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Old Cathedral in Tristam would be the stage. It is basically in two Diablo games.

Note that the title of this thread should be "Not even death can save you from me!"

Top Bottom