• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a R.O.B main, but

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
How do I face R.O.B? That robot has caused me more salt than anything. I STILL don't understand why he needs a kill throw or a HOO HAH

I play Pac, Ness, Kirby, Mario and Mega primarily. Who do I use to get around R.O.B and his options? I kind of have trouble getting around his projectiles because Gyro is annoying as **** jesus.

I know this might not be good for a character forum but man I'm desperate. Does Villager do well against R.O.B?

tl;dr R.O.B makes me salty pls help me fight him

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
How do I face R.O.B? That robot has caused me more salt than anything. I STILL don't understand why he needs a kill throw or a HOO HAH

I play Pac, Ness, Kirby, Mario and Mega primarily. Who do I use to get around R.O.B and his options? I kind of have trouble getting around his projectiles because Gyro is annoying as **** jesus.

I know this might not be good for a character forum but man I'm desperate. Does Villager do well against R.O.B?

tl;dr R.O.B makes me salty pls help me fight him
Villager does very well against ROB, especially since he can remove gyro from play for an entire stock. Just keep in mind, ROB is also countered by Rosalina, and some rushdown characters that know what their doing(with varying levels of success.)

If you want to try to beat ROB with Pac-Man, you may want to try to clash your own projectiles with his gyro, and try to attack from a vertical angle to reduce the chances of getting hit. Perhaps hydrant could help you build a shield against the projectiles(Or at least try to bait ROB jumping over it.)

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Megaman can out-camp ROB pretty well, and an aggro Kirby will tend to give him trouble with those pesky lagless aerials.

u srs? in my experience R.O.B. obliterates Rosalina, easily 8:2
You've never played a good rosa then. I wouldn't say she has an advantage, but if she does it's a slight one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina can take ROB's camping game away from him.
I would say it goes the other way, ROB takes away Rosalina's camping game, laser beats neutral-b and ROB in general is very good at taking Luma out of play due to having hard hitting attacks with good disjoint (nair/bair/smashes). At that point you're just dealing with Rosalina, get gyro in hand, bait down-b and punish, she's one of the lightest characters in the game so uair and up-smash will kill super early especially on low ceiling stages, meanwhile ROB is heavy. If you can't bait down-b just throw it at her, it's free damage and can get her in a disadvantaged situation.

Like @ PowerHungryFool PowerHungryFool said, maybe I haven't faced good ones, but to me Rosalina is a really easy MU for ROB, he out-camps, out-KOs, and out-weighs.

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Kirby does well against R.O.B? Funny, I'd think that with Kirby's not that good range he'd do poorly. I'll keep that in mind though.
if you want ROB practice, add me and send me a PM. I'm not great, but I'm certainly no slouch.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Sometime tomorrow I'll hit you up. I'd love R.O.B MU experience.
I'll be glad to help you out as well if you want more R.O.B. experience!

Edit: Also I can give you some tips and show you how you can use R.O.B.'s weaknesses to your advantage.

Last edited:

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Kirby does well against R.O.B? Funny, I'd think that with Kirby's not that good range he'd do poorly. I'll keep that in mind though.
Close-range characters like Kirby do have some trouble while at a distance, but if you use your small size to avoid the gyros and lasers and close the gap, R.O.B. gets combo'd for centuries. Copying the laser also gives you something to do while you're at a distance, but mind the Side-B. I think you can Inhale the gyro to recover ~1-2%, but then R.O.B. can just toss another one at you, so that really only has use when it's still on-stage between stocks. Also don't throw out your Stone too often; the grab is bad news.

tl;dr get close, copy if it's safe, don't get grabbed.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am not sure but to me it seems that R.O.B. can normally get a guaranteed Dair on Kirby when Kirby copies him, so that might be something to watch out for.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Here's my two cents on some the characters that have been mentioned:

Villager:
He has all the tools in the world to shut ROB down. As stated, pocket removes gyro from play for an entire stock. That not only shuts down a ROB's camping game, but also eliminates some great on-the-floor & thrown-item gyro set ups and strings.

Without the gyro in play, ROB relies on his laser (which beats Tree) but is severely limited. Villager can use his pesky F- and B-airs to harass, and potentially KO. Additionally, ROB's inability to move for the first part of his up+B makes him a sitting duck. Villager U-air beats D-air, and usually the lower part of N-air almost all day. Villager D-air seems to outpriorize ROB's U-air (might be dependent on the number of turnips).

Furthermore, ROB is rather slow and clunky... so Villager can play keep-away rather well.

All that being said, if you rely on solely camping ROB out without mixing in a solid punish game or taking advantage of aggro options he does have the tools to be able to contend if you aren't smart about it due to being able to stick around, as well as KO at a reasonable percent with U-throw or U-smash (the latter if you decide to get stupid with Lloid tricksies).

Definitely in Villager's favor. Solidly in his favor if you take customs into account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kirby:
I believe Kirby has the advantage. Yes, ROB wins at a distance & mid-range, but if the Kirby can use their multiple jumps to hover above the max angle of the laser, that move is rendered almost useless & if he can use those jumps to hang out in ROB's blindspot... that makes things significantly more difficult for him. Similar situation with the gyro... if the Kirby stays in the air, the gyro is much less effective.

A good Kirby will use their multiple jumps to bait an action from you, and then punish accordingly - typically by doing something to get him in the air. And, Kirby has the tools to punish ROB for days on end in the air. In fact, I go into any match with Kirby (as well as a host of other characters) feeling & playing as if I already have about 60% damage on me... as I know that as soon as this (and other chars) get in on ROB... he'll eat that much when at zero/low percents.

Kirby's crouch animation brings him so low to the ground that ROB actually has to somewhat space... for a grab to even connect, which decreases the U-Throw KO potential. I think Kirby's crouch goes under either ROB's jab 1, or jab 2 (not sure) so that makes a quick 'get off me jab' significantly less effective, leaving D-tilt as a ROBs only reliable CQ 'get off me' in this MU.

Again, I feel Kirby does well against ROB.... significantly more so if you take customs into account.

Mario:
I feel that this is a pretty even MU in the current state of the game (imo), but I see it eventually going solidly in Mario's favor as things develop. His Bread & Butter combos work exceptionally well on ROB at higher percents than some of the cast. His strong, quick, U-air wrecks ROB when underneath, his U-smash is an absurd anti-air, as is his U-tilt to a somewhat lesser degree, N-air is a solid combo-buster, and depending on the timing/spacing his D-air is a solid landing move,

I feel Mario has a superior boxing game once you get into Mario's jab range, and that boxing game leads to lots of rewards. Fireballs are great to harass, to freeze up his up+B to allow for edge guarding, as a set-up to land grabs. Grabs lead into aerial strings, which Mario excels at executing and ROB utterly fails at getting out of.

To the folks talking about Rosalina:
This is a solid MU for Rosalina, if she's competent. Solid as in "she doesn't get super shut down / not an unwinnable MU/ probably close to 50/50; could go either way +/- 5 points".

Staying at long range as ROB & trying to camp will get you virtually nowhere as Luma will eat it, or the gravitational pull will negate it. Sure, you might get some chip damage, but Rosalina is able to rack that up as well.

Rosalina has janky enough hitboxes on her aerials that fit almost perfectly in all the places ROB can not defend at all in the air. U-air chains are REAL vs. ROB. Not to mention, stage control with Luma will make landing (a task already super hard for ROB) significantly harder. This becomes increasingly true on a smaller stage (think BF... where Luma can police the one platform, Rosa can chill out underneath the other. If ROB tries to land on the top he is at risk of U-air, tries to fall through top platform and Rosa can call Luma back and hit him as he drops, and if he tries to land above the by-herself-Rosalina... she has plenty of options to harass or keep him in the air long enough to put herself in a favorable position).

Yes, ROB can remove Luma somewhat easily... but I feel that in many ways this is a moot point. People think Rosalina is TRASH w/o Luma... which is not the case. She loses many of her solid KO options, but even w/o Luma, Rosalina has decent enough aerial options that can be set up out of dash attack or grab, due to the size & shape of her hitboxes to throw plenty of damage in the event ROB gets sent airborne for any reason... usually keeping ROB in a string + resetting to neutral taking long enough for Luma to respawn.

Sure, ROB can KO her rather easily with a U-throw or U-smash. I rarely see U-smash hit on a consistent basis without a medium-hard read (unless you have something like a slip gyro custom that can set up for it).

But, if Luma is around getting this grab becomes a LOT harder if Rosa is highly aware, comfortable with using Luma on their own, and has good reaction time (as the Luma attack will break the grab). When Luma is gone, odds are Rosa will just be running away via rolls, jumps, and even up+b's which make landing that grab hard as well.

TL;DR
Villager is an amazing pick vs. ROB.
Mario and Kirby are solid as well.
People are silly about Rosalina, she is a decently solid pick as well as long as you have a firm understanding and control of a launched Luma.

Last edited by a moderator:

PIRATE_DiToP

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. has crippling slow, albeit strong, ariels that make it very hard very for him to get out of combos and trap him in the air until 50% or so. A good gonzo/phan7om combo from kirby can really cause troubles for him. I cant say much for anyone other than kirby since kirby is really the only speedy fighter i play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom