• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Melee player... Just wondering:

Crenando

Smash Cadet
NNID
discOtter
I've only really played Melee extremely casually. As in, back in high school I would occasionally mess around with it in our senior lounge. I also don't watch a ton of it either. That said, I'm interested in finding out a few bits of information.

1. Are there any true or true framelock combos in Melee (perhaps list some below)?

2. Why exactly is Fox better than Falco?

3. Who would you guys say has the most tech skill?

4. If you could patch Melee, what are the 3 biggest changes you would make?

Thanks in advance.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
The main reasons why Fox is better than Falco is because of Shine-spiking, and his longer recovery.

Falco is very easy to gimp.

Crenando

Smash Cadet
NNID
discOtter
The main reasons why Fox is better than Falco is because of Shine-spiking, and his longer recovery.

Falco is very easy to gimp.
I figures such but wasn't sure. Thanks. Everything else about Falco seemed better but I didn't realize how big of an affect those changes had.

1. Are there any true or true frame lock combos in Melee (perhaps list some below)?

Everything is DIable, combos also vary based on the opponent's hit box sizes, weight, falling speed, and %. But there are true combos where consecutive hits happen without the opponent's hit stun expiring between hits. A frame lock is basically perfect shield/block pressure when the opponent doesn't have any frames available to do anything, right? Peach, Fox, and Falco have a few options for that

Fox has a better time against floaties than Falco does. He has a higher theoretical and practical ceiling of performance because he's simply just faster

Probably Silent Wolf, maybe

It's too late to patch Melee. The character balance it has now is too deeply ingrained into the competitive scene for any competitive player to accept

Twinkles

Smash Lord
1. Wobbling

2. Faster, better recover, better matchup spread than Falco

3. Hard to quantify, Siglemic has the multi shine record, but Hax has some of the most precise technical inputs in the game and runs through whole tournaments with it. Players well known for being technical: Hax, SilentWolf, Westballz, Dark (from Chile). Leffen also seems similarly very technical when I watch him play (precise movement, perfect doubleshine -> SH aerials).

4. At this point, the only changes I'd make would be small selfish buffs to Falcon. Auto gentleman, better spot-dodge, my absolute favorite would be having gentleman beat crouch cancel. I think one of the best things I've ever seen was a hacked setup where Falcon's jab turns people around (Falcon OP). Game's fine as is though IMO

Crenando

Smash Cadet
NNID
discOtter
1. Wobbling

2. Faster, better recover, better matchup spread than Falco

3. Hard to quantify, Siglemic has the multi shine record, but Hax has some of the most precise technical inputs in the game and runs through whole tournaments with it. Players well known for being technical: Hax, SilentWolf, Westballz, Dark (from Chile). Leffen also seems similarly very technical when I watch him play (precise movement, perfect doubleshine -> SH aerials).

4. At this point, the only changes I'd make would be small selfish buffs to Falcon. Auto gentleman, better spot-dodge, my absolute favorite would be having gentleman beat crouch cancel. I think one of the best things I've ever seen was a hacked setup where Falcon's jab turns people around (Falcon OP). Game's fine as is though IMO
Why not make changes to balance characters so that more of the cast is actually viable?

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
1. Wobbling is the only truly inescapable thing in melee, and it's not a combo, it's just some cheesy grab exploit.

2. He just is.

3. Silent Wolf probably.

4. I would make falco's lasers not ********, I would give ganon his P:M up-tilt, I would give Fox's dair more shieldstun

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Just gonna address 3.

Has everyone forgotten about Dark's crazy tech skill already? It's only been a couple of years since he was all the rage, and his tech still looks mighty really impressive.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
Why not make changes to balance characters so that more of the cast is actually viable?
Yeah, there's so much diversity in just the A and S-tier alone (even just S honestly), that the game would probably never get boring to watch even just among them. Really unique characters is one of the many beautiful strokes of luck of Melee's design.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
I've only really played Melee extremely casually. As in, back in high school I would occasionally mess around with it in our senior lounge. I also don't watch a ton of it either. That said, I'm interested in finding out a few bits of information.

1. Are there any true or true framelock combos in Melee (perhaps list some below)?

Thanks in advance.
1. There are a few completely static ones, but most are dependent on DI. Melee combo/punish game is kinda intricate and hard to explain to somebody who doesn't have experience. Basically, most combos are not something that can be input without a reaction or a read, depending on the time you have to react. Even then, they only work at certain percents, on certain characters, and/or from certain positions. An easy example is that Marth can use his up throw to continuously grab Fox and Falco, but only if there is no platform for them to land on and only until they reach a certain percent.

2. Fox is generally regarded as better for several reasons. To list them succinctly: his down-b knocks sideways and that affords him some easy things in some matchups that Falco doesn't have. He also is much faster in about every way, despite being similarly strong. He also has a much longer up-b for his recovery, so he can live much longer and is harder to kill at low percent.

3. As far as all players go, it has to be Dark. As far as top level players, Hax$ would get my vote.

4. Make it harder to SDI, increase shield damage, more tournament fit stages

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I think waveshine on some characters like Peach is a true infinite if done correctly and obviously waveshining against a wall such as on fire/rock transformations on PS, it's just difficult and especially with the first one you have to react to DI and I imagine it is hard to keep them on the stage.

Top Bottom