• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Nor Cal) GRASS VALLEY: March 8th SSBM Tournament

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
My friend (that goes by the gamer name of "Skazryk") recently got permission from the Nexus Gaming Center (NGC) in Grass Valley to host SSBM tournaments.

I don't have a whole lot of information and don't have access to much, I'm simply a messenger of a messenger (Skazryk). Now for the details:

WHY:
- To help out the NGC business.
- To have fun!
- To get to know people.
- To get one last Melee tournament in before Brawl is out.

WHEN:
Melee on March 8 2008 at 1:00PM
Brawl on March 16, 2008 at ? (probably 1:00PM)

WHERE:
Nexus Gaming Center
1237 East Main Street
Grass Valley, CA

The NGC is next to Hot Dog Heaven and Sandwich Express, and is across the street from an RV dealership.

SSBM RULES:
Double Elimination
4 stock
8 minutes
No items
Neutral Stages

ENTRY FEE:
$10 Singles

PRIZES:
We're currently working these out. But they will involve getting free play time at the NGC.
1st:
2nd:
3rd:

OTHER:
- We want people from out of town to come (Sacramento, Yuba City, Modesto, Reno, anywhere really). We need a challenge!
- We encourage people to bring any friends that would like to come to compete.
- Bring your own controller.
- Remember to respect the venue.
- As for food, Nexus sells snacks, drinks and microwavable food. There's also a hot dog/sandwich place next door.

If you have questions or need more information:
Ask them here
E-mail my friend at: Skazryk@gmail.com
Or call NGC: 530-272-2272

EDITS (new to old):
- Moved things around and put a new date and time for the next tourny.
- Changed entry fees
- Added venue address and changed the prizes.
- Changed the Singles entry fee from $25 to $15. Changed day to a Saturday.

hitori

Smash Journeyman
lol. Interesting indeed. I has family in Grass Valley...this might be an adventure worth going to.

Skazryk

Smash Apprentice
Well the information for this is wrong, umm... well Grass Valley is about 45 minutes north of sacramento, this gaming center just opened up and we need to get some kind of way to keep it open, the prizes are 5X entry for 1st, 3X for 2nd, and 2X for 3rd, however it will increase with the more people that show up. We need a minimum of 32 people to begin teh tournament, and i know that this is a high entry fee and not all that high of prizes. But, as i said the prizes will increase as the number of entries do. After this first tournament if it goes off without a hitch then the entry fee will drop and it will become a regular occurance either bi-weeklys or monthly, so for all thos close or even in nevada county please come, it will give you a chance to meet up with some more nor cal smashers, and right before brawl is released. if you have any questions or comments on it please feel free to contact me through email at skazryk@gmail.com

Zoap

Smash Master
I don't think your going to get 32 people based on the simple fact that this is 45 mins north of Sacramento. The Bay smashers don't usually travel more than an hour to tournaments, and many of them do so through public transportation. Even when they do, 32 is quite a stretch. Ender's Games IV which happened this past weekend had a ton of people from the bay attend, along with some from Reno and they only had 29 for singles. In addition to all of this, the cut from the pot is simply outrageous. At 32 people your paying $75 for first(5x 15 for entry) $45 for second(3x15 for entry) and $30 for third(2x 15 for entry) or a total of $150. 150 out of $480. Thats well shy of half meaning that the venue is taking in 78.75% of the total pot. Of all the tournaments I've ever attended the most I've ever seen taken out was 40% leaving the majority of the pot for the winners. Now I know you said this place was having difficulties with business and may shut down, well thats makes for a great pity story but does in no way justify ripping off people to try and make up the difference. I myself will not attend and I highly doubt anyone will seriously think of attending this tourney until the pot/cut distribution is redone.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
I see what you mean about the distribution. I can't change this though. Skazryk said that if we get 32 people, the prize will increase, and it will continue to increase the more people we get.

He would also like to point out that we are doing this mostly for fun. This town is relaxed and quiet, which in turn has a negative side because it's so boring to live here as a gamer.

Many of the people in this town wouldn't be considered a challenge to the outsiders in areas such as Sacramento and probably even Yuba City, so if anyone does come it's almost a guarenteed win or at least 2nd place finish depending on outsiders that are coming. We got a good ammount of local people who are going to be participating, but not quite the number my friend is hoping for.

EDIT: I have been told by Skazryk that the only reason the entry fee is a bit steep to get in and the prizes are so low is because the place normally makes $600 on a good day. The place is a small company and doesn't get bonuses on anything, they pay what we pay. So they have to add on those extra prices. Having us there to host a tournament means that they have to give up some of their business and electricity to let us play a game. I know they chose that, but my friend and I would like to see them understand the greatness of SSBM. If you don't come for the prizes, at least come for the fun.

Also, if this goes well, future entry fees and prizes may adjust in a more attractive way. This a first time thing and we want to see this work!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
dang grass valley is so far

i thought nothing existed north of sacramento besides chico =\

Shimo64

Smash Rookie
He would also like to point out that we are doing this mostly for fun. This town is relaxed and quiet, which in turn has a negative side because it's so boring to live here as a gamer.

Many of the people in this town wouldn't be considered a challenge to the outsiders in areas such as Sacramento and probably even Yuba City, so if anyone does come it's almost a guarenteed win or at least 2nd place finish depending on outsiders that are coming.
I'm a Grass Valley local, and will be participating in this tournament. I have already talked to you Skazryk(thanks to the real world). But anyways i totally agree with this. It is boring to be a gamer in Grass Valley, so much so that the people that are considered good could not hold there own against people from out of the area. This is simply due to the fact that very few people play Super Smash regularly any more. So come if you want to win, and/or come if you want to have fun. Either way it is worth it!

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
Results

Well, I enjoyed the tournament a lot. By far the best Grass Valley tournament to date! The venue was great. My only complaint was that the air was a bit stale becauase of all the people there.
I was impressed at how much people have improved since the first tournament was held in this area. Any of them could get beaten by out of town people though since I could beat all except my two friends :/

Here are the results (there were 16 people, but we (Skazryk and I) are just doing this by memory):
11 - Jared, Jesse, Trent
10 - Rye
9 - Meezy
8 - Gaelen
7 - Sean
6 - Elias
5 - Jason
4 - Yomon
3 - Ryan
2 - Tareth
1 - Skazryk

I can't wait for the next tournament! :D