• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Trying to Short Hop

samspot

Smash Rookie
Ok so I'm finally trying to improve at smash so I started practicing the SHFFL. I can most parts ok from time to time, but I'm having a lot of trouble doing a consistent short hop, even after spending quite a while just trying to short hop all over the arena. I've just started breaking in a new controller so I'm wondering if that is a factor. Maybe it will just get easier with practice. Right now I'm trying to sort of bang on the button really quickly to minimize the time its pressed down, but that completely falls apart when i follow it with an 'A'. Does it take most people a while to become consistent on this? ('m using 'Y' by the way).

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's a good idea to bang on it like that. It's probably better if you learn to press it very lightly and quickly, because like you said, it's harder to string things together when you're hitting the button too hard.

When i was practicing the shorthop it was pretty painful and irritating, but after sleeping it over and trying again the day after, it was monumentally easier. So i'd say to just keep practicing and don't feel like you're not getting anywhere, because it will eventually become second nature as long as you keep doing it.

garbage

Smash Journeyman
I use "Y" too. Yea, it's frustrating at first. But when you get that first SHFFL'd Fair with Marth...
It's all worth it. :)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Like Klowne said, shorthopping is done by lightly pressing the jump button, not bashing it.

But do make sure you're actually good at the game itself before trying to learn any tricks like wavedash or SHFFL. I've beaten alot of people who have masterd WaveDash and the SHFFL, plain because they weren't good enough at the game itself. And, no. I don't use WaveDash or the SHFFL myself. I can do it, but I never seem to be able to use it correct naturally in a battle, and I end up rolling or diving away. How do all of you guys do it in natural situations?

T Parker

Smash Cadet
i had slight trouble with this as well, and at a time, i had a resort to the button mashing for shorthops.

but to get the hang of a fluid short hop, i played captain falcon against a level 4 computer for about 2 hours and used a primary aerial offense. just grab-down- dash knee him, then short hop and hit him with a flying knee. it's a fluid combo, and thanks to practicing it so much, i have a consistent short hop now.

D

Deleted member

Like Klowne said, shorthopping is done by lightly pressing the jump button, not bashing it.

But do make sure you're actually good at the game itself before trying to learn any tricks like wavedash or SHFFL. I've beaten alot of people who have masterd WaveDash and the SHFFL, plain because they weren't good enough at the game itself. And, no. I don't use WaveDash or the SHFFL myself. I can do it, but I never seem to be able to use it correct naturally in a battle, and I end up rolling or diving away. How do all of you guys do it in natural situations?
Make sure u can do it 100% of the time, and then as u play matches against people better than u, u will see times when u will need it, and itll become second nature.

samspot

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the responses everyone, it's good to hear I'm not the only one who had trouble with it. I've been playing event 49 (battle 5 opponents in a row) and using mostly short hop jump attacks. Most of the time I whiff but I'm sure I'll get it soon.

SmashWolf, I have to disagree in my situation. I'm pretty sure I want to go all the way with this game, and starting out learning the technical moves can only help. I'm not expecting shiffl's to win matches for me, but I hope having a solid foundation lets me execute them w/o thinking while I build actual match winning skills.

Xela

Smash Rookie
Make sure u can do it 100% of the time, and then as u play matches against people better than u, u will see times when u will need it, and itll become second nature.
True that. You'll also have to learn how to do the full jump. after getting use to short jump, i try doing falco's dair thing by shortjumping and that just killed me. so now i sometimes randomly jump too high which is somewhat good because the opponent can't really predict how i'm going to jump.

To learn i guess you easy characters to short jump first and then move on to harder people like samus and pikachu =.=

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I personally find it easier to shorthop when you are running across the stage instead of standing still. If you have trouble hitting a afterwords, try to kinda slide your finger across the a from the y, that's what i do unless i'm using c stick for my aierals.

Top Bottom