• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob stomp or nice guy?

Stewie1288

Smash Apprentice
So I play guys in my dorm....and they suck.

Well ok, they don't suck they just haven't been around the game for as long as I have. I'm not saying I'm amazing at smash, but I do have a decent edgeguard/hog and I throw around my fair share of spikes.

My question to you is What do I say when people berate me for spiking/edgeguarding? I always hear, "Oh thats so cheap" or some other random stab at me. I know for a fact it isn't "cheap" it's simply because they don't know how to avoid being set-up for a shine spike, ganon/falco/marth dair.

So I come to you faithful Smashboarders! Give me a comeback!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A Ganon spike isn't cheap. They failed to meteor cancel.
A Marth spike is difficult enough to pull off anyway.
A Falco spike is broken. Still, it's part of the game, unless it's PAL version.

My logic is, if everyone can do it, they're only calling it cheap because they're too lazy to figure out how to do it themselves.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
A Ganon spike isn't cheap. They failed to meteor cancel.
A Marth spike is difficult enough to pull off anyway.
A Falco spike is broken. Still, it's part of the game, unless it's PAL version.

My logic is, if everyone can do it, they're only calling it cheap because they're too lazy to figure out how to do it themselves.
That pretty much sums it up, or I would just punch them in the face.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
say sorry and then smile really big.

or tell a story about how you always get spiked/edgeguarded by players(they can be fictional) who are better than you and always do that to you. This way they are forced to relate.

or dont play with them anymore and call them babies.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Spike them with Zelda, just to rub it in a bit. ;)

It's their fault for being dumb and not knowing how to get around it. And if you're playing against ****ty players anyway, use characters you aren't as good with. That's what I do.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Tell them they'll get better and eventually beat the crap out of you the same way.

Jaymundo

Smash Rookie
I can't believe no one said "tell them they suck" yet.
TELL THEM THEY SUCK!

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
Spike them with Zelda, just to rub it in a bit. ;)

It's their fault for being dumb and not knowing how to get around it. And if you're playing against ****ty players anyway, use characters you aren't as good with. That's what I do.
I pretty much do the same thing.

Though I do like picking Random most of the time.

Me as Mewtwo vs. a somewhat decent Falco?

Hurrah!

As for your friends, they just need to perk up and get a little better. Once they've done the same to you, they'll probably feel a lot better!

Or they just might be really smug - I suggest stupid grins and retaliatory action in the manner of which they had killed you!

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Teach them how to play better.

Show them how to avoid spikes, show them how to spike, but keep spiking them.

Don't hold back, but always be willing tell them all your tricks.

Matches are the most fun when everyone's playing at their top potential.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
First, for edgehogging, go show them some bonuses. You may need some people to restrain them from killing themselves when the realization that edgehogging and edgeguarding were intended strikes them. Do the same for meteorsmashes.

For spikes? Simple, take out Y.Link, and do his mid-air spike, then explain to them how there is NO WAY IN HELL that was unintentional, and as such, spikes were made into the game (though they had some balance issues sometimes... but don't mention that).

Now that that's done with, show them how to not suck as much. You have to do at least the first thing I said, though, before they will be truly willing to learn sometimes. ><;

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
Maybe try not playing overly aggresively against them if you want to continue playing them regularly?

I know it's more fun for my friends and I when we just goof around and don't play too seriously... although on occasion a high-skill match is a nice refresher...

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
As said in RvB: "It's a legitimate strategy!"

Seriously though, if they end up going off the edge by falling for something, they are also the reason for getting spiked and not doing something about it. Spikes happen all the time. If they weren't legitimate, they wouldn't show them in the tutorial video.....catch my drift?

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
tell to ur friends, to get into the boards and learn about smash, that isnt cheap man, thats just moves in the game they gotta do to win, and well, teach them and tell them to do the same..

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So I come to you faithful Smashboarders! Give me a comeback!
Comeback? Just say no johns. but they're scrubs so I doubt they even know what johns are. I just wouldnt play these guys if they hassled me for edgeguarding, thats ridiculous.

flintblack

Smash Rookie
I have actually had the same thing happen to me......but worse when I play my friends (we play 5 stock) and they are down to 1 stock and I still have 5, they will sd themselves and wont fight.....and I proclaim BS! But i get the same thing. They even go as far as saying the game likes me more and the outcomes of the matches are unfair....and I cheat. So I know where you are coming from. Just keep PWNING!

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
I have the same problem, whenever I beat noobs they always say something like, "You're too good at this game, we don't play to win we just play to have fun. Stop ruining our fun."

Repryx

Smash Champion
Why dont you just show your friends a few pro matches then put 'em on to the boards...Or tell 'em "Shut up and take this ****"

Top Bottom