• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Question Need Help

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Hello! Let me prefix this by saying that I used to play melee a lot and upgraded to Sm4sh when it came out, I just discovered project m while at a friends house and liked it so much that I went out and bought a wii. I recently got Project M on my wii and I just have a question about input lag/response time.

My wii is hooked up directly to my LED flat screen TV using the red, white, and yellow cables and the wii is running in 480i and I'm using a gamecube controller, and I don't know if its input lag, or if I'm just not good enough, but for instance when I'm playing Lucas and i dash and press A to attack, the opponent goes up in the air, so I try to short hop to Bair or Nair, but a majority of the time when I press X or Y immediately after the dash attack to jump, it just doesn't register and my character just stands there. I have to wait like a second before I can jump and It really kills my combo potential. Also the game just feels kinda slow and unresponsive. Is it something I'm doing wrong, or is it an issue with my wii/TV?

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
The yellow video cable is called Composite and it's a terrible thing to use in a HDTV.
Get the component cable for Wii (the one in which video is 3 separate cables: Red, Blue and Green) and your experience should improve leaps and bounds.
Also if your TV has game mode you should use it always. That one is a given.

In case none of this helps i guess you could always run PM in your Wii-U and get one of those Gamecube to Wii Remote third party adapters, but I hear these introduce lag of their own...

Last edited:

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply!

My TV model is a VIZIO but I wouldn't know where to find the exact specifications. I also don't know how to check if my TV has a game mode, how can I check that?

Also, what is the specific name for that Wii component cable so I can buy one off of Amazon?

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
Just search "wii component cable" in Amazon or wherever... that's literally what it's called.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
There will still a significant amount of lag on any display that isn't a CRT, with the exception of LCD gaming monitors combined with appropriate signal converters. Get a CRT as soon as possible; people literally leave them lying on the curb outside their house or put them up for free on Craigslist or whatever, so money isn't an obstacle to acquiring one (and they are fairly abundant, at least in my region; I can't say for sure about others).

In order to reduce lag with component cables you have to display in progressive scan (480p); using component cables in interlaced scan will do nothing to help the lag. Progressive scan will reduce lag on non-CRTs significantly but by no means completely. Wii component cables cost approximately £5 on amazon.co.uk (and I assume a similar price elsewhere).

Many CRTs don't support component input, so you'll have to use your composite cables; the picture will look worse due to the interlacing (you should turn on the "deflicker" setting), but there'll still be practically no lag. The component cables are still worth buying because they're so cheap and because you might run into a negligible-lag display that supports them at some point. Using them on your LCD in the meantime will also reduce the difficultly in adjusting to a negligible-lag display when you get one.

Smash 4 has a 10 frame buffer while Project M does not, which will also contribute to your not being able to act as immediately as you feel you should be able to.

Also, I wouldn't use the word "upgrade" to refer to Smash 4; it's a sequel and a different game, not a new version of Melee or a replacement for it. It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but it struck me as a strange/inappropriate term to use.

Last edited:

CowPolice

Smash Rookie
Also, I wouldn't use the word "upgrade" to refer to Smash 4; it's a sequel and a different game, not a new version of Melee or a replacement for it. It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but it struck me as a strange/inappropriate term to use.
My apologies, I meant upgrade by, upgraded to a wii u.

Top Bottom