• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob question; How are you supposed to react to a grab?

YamiZee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-9729-0156
I mean I get the options are spot-dodge, move away, or attack. However I was wondering which is the most optimal strategy?

Also there are times when these don't work for me. Sometimes when I spot-dodge a grab, the spot-dodge lasts about as long as the grab, so they're able to grab again, or spot-dodge my grab afterwards. So dodging doesn't always work the best for me. Sometimes i try to jump, but they grab me from the air before I get high enough. And finally sometimes when i try to attack them, it seems as if they just grab through my attack. I don't know how the mechanics work exactly. Is it possible to grab someone from an attack if their grab range is longer than your attack range?

I main pikachu if that means anything.

Any help appreciated!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, characters like Link, Toon Link, and Samus have long grab range, which you really have to be aware of.

It depends, sometimes side dodge is a quick solution, but it requires good read. Try to know if the opponent likes dash grab or not, and then guess if they will attack or grab.

Masked Bro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-6085-1995
With Pikachu, you can probably Quick Attack out of stick situations where your opponent may grab instead? Maybe even QA by them or just behind them to punish quickly, which could be nice for tether. I think jabs also can work to prevent grabs because they can be quite quick, but don't count me on how effective that is with Pikachu, also this is ineffective against tethers thanks to range. I believe if you can squeeze in a thunder as they begin to grab you, the thunder disrupts them if they aren't quick enough. If this were past game I'd suggest d-smash too but I'm not sure how effective that one is now. >o>

A general rule of thumb, stuff that gets you away quickly, attacks quick enough to intercept up-close attempts, or lasting hit boxes (something to disrupt a grab in action) help I believe.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
If the opponent is reading spot dodges when they go in for a grab and they're getting their grabs, I would recommend jumping out of shield instead. If they try to grab you can hit them with an aerial and if they wait to see what you do you'll be able to throw out anything in the air instead of being stuck in spot dodge lag.

Objekshin

Smash Cadet
When in an awkward situation such as when you grab, they spot dodge, they grab, you spot dodge, just use a jab combo to get the attacks out.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Their grab is likely coming out faster than your attack. For example, if someone uses a frame 8 grab and you go for a frame 15 attack, you'll get grabbed. Try using faster attacks. It's also possible that since Pikachu has little range, the grabs could have more range than your attack.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If your attack is fast enough, attacks beat grabs in the rock-paper-scissors interaction formed by grabs, attacks, and shields.

Otherwise, just stay out of range. A lot of characters have very punishable grabs if they miss.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Movement is the most optimal reaction.
whiffed grabs allow you to punish harder and more creatively
sorta high risk high reward, because you could accidentally give stage control for free if you mess up the punish

Morbi

Scavenger
I usually just jab if I cannot escape their grab range in time. You sort of have to predict the grab as they are relatively difficult to react to.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I strongly disagree
Using roll as a go-to response to anything is how you end up rolling into charged smashes when an opponent realizes you want to do it. Roll sparingly.
Yeah, if you roll like an idiot who rolls into charged smashes...

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Yeah, if you roll like an idiot who rolls into charged smashes...
It's not about being an idiot, it's about being predictable. Rolling should never be a go-to option because rolls are extremely punishable. Rolls have their uses, but are one of the easiest habits to take advantage of.

Never roll habitually.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
If you're a Pika main it might be good to know which grabs you can duck under. Movement is always good for a fast character like Pika. Really it depends on what your opponent is trying to do.

LightLV

Smash Ace
It's not about being an idiot, it's about being predictable. Rolling should never be a go-to option because rolls are extremely punishable. Rolls have their uses, but are one of the easiest habits to take advantage of.

Never roll habitually.
I mean, I don't remember telling him to roll habitually, nor do i know how it matters how predictable a roll is if the player successfully rolled a grab attempt...

But i agree? Roll is fast enough to literally punish attacks with smashes on this game, rolling like an idiot is frowned upon of course, but OP asked for an option that wont get him hit or grab after his failed spot dodge. He can jump, dash out the way, or just roll.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Couple of grab scenarios

From the ledge
You recover with normal get up. Usually players will go for the grab spot dodge u tilt kills them.

From neutral
If your good at stuffing / reading all the predictable approaches people get frustrated and run in for the grab. I had problems with this until I started jabbing. Stuff the free approach (run ups with jabs). This leads me into jab mix ups, comboes, and grabs of my own. You can spot dodge in this situation to.

Option 3 - Jump lol. When appropriate of course.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I can't wait until the meta evolves as much as Melee's, and walking up and grabbing without doing anything fancy is a legitimate strategy to mess with your opponent.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I can't wait until the meta evolves as much as Melee's, and walking up and grabbing without doing anything fancy is a legitimate strategy to mess with your opponent.
this has been happening already for a real long time

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I guess I haven't seen it, then. I'm honestly not the best at keeping up. School, work, family, and other video games eat up a lot of the time I could spend smashing.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Just use your fastest attack. Lately I have been playing lots of MK and every time a Luigi goes for an obvious grab I just use my fastest move which is D-tilt and it works like a charm and messes people up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom