• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Ganon here... what's the best way to punish fmash spamming Marths?

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be playing in a Melee tournament at a Gamecrazy during the Brawl midnight release. I expect to see tons of noob Foxes, Falcos, Sheiks, and Marths who do nothing but spam dash attacks and fsmash. I'm planning on using Ganon. I know I can probably shield grab the Foxes, Falcoes, and Sheiks no problem, but what's the best way to punish noob Marths for spamming fsmash?

I can SHFFL successfully most of the time, but I'm still working on wavedashing and wavelanding. <_< Any tips would be appreciated.

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
Um. Bait him into an Fsmash. Or stop being retarted and running into them.
Uh, I already figured out the part out about not running into them. <_< I'm just asking what's the best move to do right after Marth whiffs an fsmash. Should I hit him with a SHUFFL'd fair?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
well wizards foot for some reason is totally random and can work well if u want to avoid the hit but use the lag after their smash to ur advantage - for me it does

well wavedashing can help u space urself away from the Fsmash but still close enuff to SHFFL, so i think u may need to get that down, but w/e MarsFool said is good too i guess

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
I would agree with MarsFool. Just know that the timing on the L-cancel is a tad later in the move when you actually hit your opponent (you have to land each L-cancel in order to get 3 d-airs in a row). Also, just 2 D-airs to an F-air would work fine in most cases, work on your edge guarding skills (SH reverse u-air, B-air, D-air), and you should have a decent strategy against f-smash happy marths.

petoo0

Smash Ace
OORRRRRR instead of attempting a D-air and getting ***** by a marth that knows what he is doing you can use Over-B to get a missed F-smash. It's fast and if he sheilds he can't grab you afterwards so you can follow up with a F-air or something. Or hell another over-b for a combo. Don't run to D-air a Marth lol...you are just going to get *****.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure both of us were referring to mindgaming the fsmash happy marth into doing an f-smash and punishing him with 2-3 shffl'd d-airs and possibly ending on a f-air depending on DI. we know not to run at marth and d-air. haha

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
I suppose I'll state the obvious 2 scenarious:
a) You mind game a whiffed f-smash.
b) You shield the f-smash.

for the first scenario (mind-gamed whiff), I like to run in and get a grab, because for me, everything about this match is about getting the d-throw, and getting that aerial in to get Marth over the edge. For actual combos, after I d-throw I:

1) 0-15% - do another d-throw, then shffl any aerial. If you d-air, punish the tech/get-up recovery with whatever you please. If you u-air, follow with another u-air if you can. This usually will get him out over the edge and let you edge-guard for an early kill.
2) let's say you fail to chase, and he's at a good 30%-50%: If you're on the inside of the stage (i.e: marth is closer to the edge than you) Sometimes I do a wizards foot, but do it as soon as you see that whiffed f-smash. Any slower, and he's likely able to shield and punish. I usually stick with a shffl'd f-air because it's got a nice long reach, but if you're fast enough, you can multi-air a d-air into a f-air/b-air for a good 40% damage and that'll get him over the edge.
3)Marth > 65% damage: I'd stick with the f-air here. You can try the wizards foot here as well, but again, make sure you do it quickly! If you're not facing him and you definitely feel a whiffed f-smash coming out, do a side-b to u-air (I say u-air here because the f-air may not reach the height Marth has been hit to, but if you can hit with the f-air, do it!).

As for scenario 2, where you shielded the f-smash:
1) If you're facing him, shield grab unless you're too far out (i.e tipped). If you are too far out when he hits your shield, you're better off waiting for a whiff, or for when you're close enough to shield grab. After the shield grab, just d-throw (I love that d-throw) to any aerial you wish: I usually just stick with b-air and f-air, because d-air has the most chance of being punished, and u-air may not hit him as far as you would like.
2) if you're NOT facing Marth, and relatively close, do a b-air right out of the shield, and that'll get him off you. If he manages to shield it, then he'll probably try to shield grab you, because you've b-air'd, right? Well, that's why you don't shffl it, and instead just multi-air the b-air. (If you didn't know you can DJ out of a short hopped b-air.) If you use this too much, he'll wisen up and just shield through your second b-air. And then you die. Not cool for Ganon.

Mix it up a bit and go with gut instincts.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Renth

Smash Hero
lolololol

if you don't know how to get through a marth that spams f smash you shouldn't be playing the game. It's really simple.

A. don't let it start

B. Don't run into it like an idiot

C. Predict it, because we all know if it's spammed you can see it coming

D. if you still can't find a way through it quit life

Linguini

Smash Master
dawg, just run up and use your sheild instead of your attack, it should be a free grab.
And ganons grabs completely **** marth.

Top Bottom