• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Fox stuck in shine

onlyoreo

Smash Rookie
Edit: Fixed my stuck in shine problem, but I have another question regarding waveshines, didn't want to make another thread so I posted my question in the replies section. Thanks!

Hey guys, first time posting in smashboards. I started playing smash about a year ago maining Marth and recently started to pick up fox.
First thing I practice was shffling into JC shine but whenever I hit something with shine I just get stuck and can't jump out of it. This has been a problem for quite a long time for me..
Also, regarding running shine approaches, how do you actually perform the running shine? I find myself just running past my opponent when I wanna shine and always end up doing it too quickly. I have to crouch before I shine in order to make it work and it seems too slow to be useful in a real match.
Feel free to give a noob fox some advice on how to do the things above.. I can't find anyone asking the questions I just asked, probably because they are simple as **** and I'm just ********.
Thank you for any insight :):)
Cheers

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
First thing I practice wa
s shffling into JC shine but whenever I hit something with shine I just get stuck and can't jump out of it
First off, I think it's a bad idea to practice JC shines (or multi-shines) at your level. It takes a lot of time and effort that could be spent on more fundamental tech.

If you get stuck in shine, you're most likely jumping too early. If you hit with shine, it causes hitlag, during which both characters are stuck in place and any inputs during that time will not have any effect. If I remember correctly, you can jump out earliest after 4 frames. Also, if you turn around during shine, it adds another 2 frames of lag so you should be aware of that too.
It's a common misconception that you can jump out immediately but it's a matter of timing really.

Also, regarding running shine approaches, how do you actually perform the running shine? I find myself just running past my opponent when I wanna shine and always end up doing it too quickly. I have to crouch before I shine in order to make it work and it seems too slow to be useful in a real match.
I think you can find answers to most of your questions in the following thread, I advice you to read all of it:
http://smashboards.com/threads/d-tilt-out-of-run-slow.423015/

Regarding your concern about the slowness of running shine, running shine by itself isn't all that great as you pointed out. It's the dash before the run that makes it a good option. It's simply a mix up you can use instead of dashing back or attacking during your dash.
I think you will find it more and more useful as you improve your dash-dance game. I wrote about dash-dancing a while back, maybe that can help:
http://smashboards.com/threads/my-biggest-problem.429714/#post-20815195

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Pauer Pauer I think he just meant he's trying to do aerial --> shine --> aerial. Not multi shine. Shffling aerials with shine is totally worth learning.

If he did mean multishine then I totally agree, that's not worth it for a long time.

Pauer

The Pauerful
C-SAF C-SAF yes, I suspected he might have misused the term. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because back when I had played about a year, I would practice a bunch of useless stuff myself.

I think I should point out that JC shine refers to jump canceled shine. They are performed by inputting a jump, then shining on the first airborne frame. It's the input you do for multishines or what you could use for shines out of dash. It's something that's quite unnecessary for a long time being, given its very situational usefulness and high difficulty.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
If you're having trouble with running shine, it may be because you're trying to shine while you're in "dash."
You have to wait until you're in "run" (outside of your max dashdance range) before you can running shine. You can do a JC shine out of dash, but I wouldn't worry about that until you can do normal running shines and have incorporated them into your game

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
And getting stuck in shine is just a matter of inputting your jump too early or too late. You gotta feel the rhythm. Or practice it in slomo in training mode

onlyoreo

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for the replies. I have practiced a ton after reading your messages. Yeah and by JC shine I meant simply jumping out of shine haha, sorry still learning the terminologies. I fixed the problem of being stuck in shine, I was jumping out of them too fast.
I have recently picked up waveshining, I can do them consistently after an aerial but cant seem to chain multiple waveshines together. I read the shining guide on smashboard about how you should re-center control stick after an aerial to wavedash, should I be doing the same to chain waveshines? I always just laser or do them too slow when I try to re-position my control stick back to neutral after every wavedash.
Thank you for any advices :) Cheers

Pauer

The Pauerful
Chaining multiple waveshines together isn't very important. You should rather focus on consistently being able to waveshine -> up-smash or grab on all the top tiers, or practice thunder's combo(jab reset after waveshine against spacies). They are all very different, Marth for example requires a very horizontal wavedash angle and you need to walk a little (keep stick pressed forward) after the wavedash to reach him. Consistently getting up-smash or grab out of a shine is much more important than the 4-8% you would get from practicing multiple waveshines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom