• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Story Mode For SSB4

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
It just shows that nintendo doesnt really know how this generation of people work. EVERYTHING will be uploaded to the internet at some point, its like saying a book shouldnt be released because they can read the plot online. It is just an awful excuse... watching the cutscenes on the internet rather than the game is better than not having them at all.
And him saying that " It takes away from the reward of playing the game" is just simply untrue, if people want "the reward" then they can just not spoil it for themselves...

finalark

SNORLAX
It just shows that nintendo doesnt really know how this generation of people work. EVERYTHING will be uploaded to the internet at some point, its like saying a book shouldnt be released because they can read the plot online. It is just an awful excuse... watching the cutscenes on the internet rather than the game is better than not having them at all.
And him saying that " It takes away from the reward of playing the game" is just simply untrue, if people want "the reward" then they can just not spoil it for themselves...

Personally, I consider solid game play to be a reward in and of itself. I don't need a story to make me feel like I'm being rewarded in a fighting game.

Although for me the real question is if Nintendo is actually cutting story mode for that reason or if they're just cutting corners to get the game out faster. Although I really don't have an issue with this, since one of Brawl's issues was that they focused too much on filling the game with useless content you looked at once instead of actually working on balancing characters.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Personally, I consider solid game play to be a reward in and of itself. I don't need a story to make me feel like I'm being rewarded in a fighting game.

Although for me the real question is if Nintendo is actually cutting story mode for that reason or if they're just cutting corners to get the game out faster. Although I really don't have an issue with this, since one of Brawl's issues was that they focused too much on filling the game with useless content you looked at once instead of actually working on balancing characters.
I agree, although i am disappointed about there not being a story, there is definantly good to come from it, more characters and stages, better balancing.

The thing that makes me mad is the reasoning behind it...

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Hopefully this means they'll add a lot to the regular single player, multiplayer, and online features. I'd like to see custom event matches, decent online capabilities, and more creative modes.

But I really don't want another Subspace Emmisary. The story felt like it dragged on and on, even though it was interesting the first time.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Only reason I played story mode was to unlock characters anyway lool. Let's hope this quickens the release or even give more time to develop gameplay or more characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not at all bothered by it, really.

Though I'm interested to see what new single-player modes they might add to fill the void.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news. :glare: Wasn't everyone complaining about Brawl's story mode anyways?

I liked it, but it definitely took up a lot of space. There was for sure less difference from Melee to Brawl than SSB64 to Melee, mostly because the Subspace Emmisary was so large. Melee added event matches, All Star, lots of stages, characters, homerun, and overwhelming amounts of things and more specific modes while Brawl for the most part did not expand the modes too much.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The problem with SSE was that it was mandatory to complete if you wanted to unlock characters, and it took way, way, way too long, on top of being repetitive. Most of the dungeons and enemies were pretty linear in their progression and were not very stimulating. It became more of a task than an enjoyable adventure, and the only thing that made it worthwhile outside of the boss battles and character unlocks were the cutscenes.

In short, it felt like work rather than playing a video game.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I know the feeling. Maybe we need an old school adventure mode without saving. A kind you have to play in a single play, short maybe but with different path and different endings like Starfox 64. The kind you can play again and again since the very beginning and feel new sensations because you aquired more experience or you have discovered a secret path.

ChuckHades

Smash Rookie
So long as there's a quick and easy way to unlock everyone, I don't care.

SSE wasn't great, but at least you could unlock everyone with ease.

"To unlock Jigglypuff, play 400,000,000,00 brawls against 3 level 9 MK's... or beat the campaign".

Yea, no thanks.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
LOL!! And Some people complain such about the SSE being a too cheap way to unlock chars. We are so many and so different.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I have the weirdest sense of deja vu.
This same exact news didn't get people in such a tizzy last month.

This is good news, as far as I'm concerned. SSE was a chore to play through, the story was lame, and it rarely leveraged any of the characters in interesting ways. I'd take a Melee-style adventure mode and newcomer movies over SSE and its cutscenes any day.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This is just my opinion but I don't think it's a bad excuse. My interpretation of it is that Sakurai don't see the effort (notice how he said that they worked HARD) of making them because of the spread of these cs on internet. Now why not make them and leave the players at their discretion of watching them on youtube? Well this is debatable but I mostly think that the cs could take too much effort for what the result would be. The reason that it could make sense is that Sakurai understood how unfortunate it would be by reveling too many stuff (aka, the brawl dojo) and even with spoiler alert so he decided to reveal less thing but still enought. Also, this is a game where EVERYTHING would be uploaded on internet so mayabe that they tought that the cs doesn't have a good ratio of effort:result than something else like unlocking something. On that note (since this is just a personal opinion and theorie), coould someone please tell me if creating those cs needs effort in the development because I don't know much about those works.

P.S: this is MY opinion so please don't judge me

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
Only the evil movie-pirates are at fault here! Without them stealing and uploading footage from hardworking artists of Nintendo, none of this would have happen! :sadeyes:

It just shows that nintendo doesnt really know how this generation of people work
Sounds very interesting. I wonder if their next video games will try to market to a imaginary crowd they thought existed. :p

JediSquire

Smash Rookie
Perhaps in a place that you've seen in your dreams
I'm not gonna cry over the absense of the SE, i liked the cutscenes but they kinda missed the mark on its implementation, it dragged on way too long and it took away the awesome of challenger approaching, you got most of the characters on your way through which was too easy. the original and melee did just fine without it and this game will do fine without it too imo

finalark

SNORLAX
I know the feeling. Maybe we need an old school adventure mode without saving. A kind you have to play in a single play, short maybe but with different path and different endings like Starfox 64. The kind you can play again and again since the very beginning and feel new sensations because you aquired more experience or you have discovered a secret path.

This is pretty much the best idea I have heard all day. It would be like Adventure Mode in Melee, but with branching paths.

Brilliant.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Thanks! Not that it couldn't be complex anyway. Do you remember The New Zealand Story?

Arteen

Smash Lord
A branching Adventure mode is exactly what I want from SSB4.

Melee's Adventure mode did a better job of representing the various franchises than SSE did. There was a side-scrolling Mario level. In the Zelda level, you explored a dungeon. In the Ice Climbers level, you climbed. In Metroid you escaped an explosion like in the original game. The F-Zero level was a race across a racetrack. That was much more fun than SSE's generic levels full of generic enemies.

Each level would be set in a different Nintendo franchise and have a different playstyle, like in Melee. You'd have your Mario level, your Zelda level, your Kid Icarus level, your Mega Man level, your *mumblegoldensunmumble* level and so on. There would be branching paths so it would be a different experience each time. Some stages would have boss fights like in SSE.

Hopefully the WiiU version will support co-op. That was one of the few things I liked about Brawl's story mode.

Without SSE, hopefully the other game modes get some more love. It was disappointing to have only 5 Break the Targets stages.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Character reveal vids are more beneficial to the advertising of the game, so it's okay if people upload those videos to the internet, because it will make people wanna play the game as those characters. However, the cutscenes are just cutscenes. You see em once and you can't do anything with them, and if you bought the game you would just be rewatching the scenes ya saw on the internet.
Anyway these character reveal shorts are great opportunites for funny/epic crossovers that don't have to be connected to a central plot line.
Hope they wait til they have all the character's in before they start making more of them. It'd be boring if all the character reveals are just them fighting Mario, Pikachu, Kirby and Link.
I hope they will make similar cinematic shorts for the veterans like Fox and Zelda.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
However, the cutscenes are just cutscenes. You see em once and you can't do anything with them
And that's fixable. Do you remember when in the story modes of the wrestling games at some points they asks:
"What are you gonna do?" and then comes the options. If it worked for a wrestling game I think it can work even for Super Smash Bros.
In other words, make the cutscenes useful rather than cosmetic!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If they really wanted to make a long story mode for the game I'd rather Sakurai release it as free DLC after the game releases. That way they can focus on the gameplay and worry about the story later. But I'd rather have a branching adventure mode.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Tell me the plot of Melee's Adventure Mode...
Ya, it will be a mode still but without a dramatic story.

Good point! Now they have done one with the SSE thay have to do one (not the same, of course) with the next story/adventure mode.
Maybe this time the plot will be a fourthwallbreaking one (Pinkie Pie docent), including the characters rejected from franchises this game is composed of (if it worked for epic Mickey…), you know, characters like sickle brothers, black crackos, female gibdos or whatever…
And when when you catch their trophies you’ll read in their description something on the line of:“This characters was supposed to appear in this game but it was rejected because of this, this and this.”

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't mind this, but I will miss story mode.

there is a petition for story mode in my signature though.....

MRTsmash

Smash Rookie
SSE was fun, but I'm not hurt that there won't be one in SSB4. I do support what Hypercat-Z and finalark suggested:

This is pretty much the best idea I have heard all day. It would be like Adventure Mode in Melee, but with branching paths.

Brilliant.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Yes. I totally agree with you on that. Having an Adventure Mode like mode with multiple branching paths is the best idea ever and a clever concept. They should totally do that.

memememe

Smash Apprentice
It's not the fact that Story Mode is disappearing, it's the fact that a chance of a GOOD Story Mode is disappearing.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
This is a running thought but... What if the story mode will come later as a DLC content?

Top Bottom