• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No spike? D:

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
So, lately people have been playing conservative vs my Samus and pwning me in the face. See what they do is stay on the level. They don't follow me when I am trying to recover or anything. I am just wondering if any of you have had to deal with this. It cuts Samus' KO potential by a long shot by not being able to spike them. Is there any tactic for capitalizing on this situation?

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
So wait. Are they not approaching you at all, or are they just not following you off the stage when they push you off?

EDIT: Never mind, I reread your post and answered my own question :/

Alright, so if they don't follow you off, your only option is to push them off. I guess Missiles and Zair will get the job done if you can catch them with those attacks.

Either that or wait till they're at 150% and go for a dtilt.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but those are the only other options that you seem to have from my experience.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Shield grab (if you get the chance) and immediately throw 'em off. Of course it won't be too useful until they get higher percents, since they can get back faster if they aren't too high in damage.

paul1290

Smash Rookie
If you really want to spike them then you'll have to force them off like Cold Front mentioned.

However, if they're the kind who really avoids going off the level then you could use this to your advantage if you know they won't follow you if you were to jump off the level intentionally. Try jumping off the level every once in a while and fire a few missiles for some extra damage. You can also try hanging on the edge to lure them a bit closer then let go, use the second jump, and fire a missile or f-air into them.

Remember, if they don't want to go off the level then they probably can't do much to you while your off the level, so this gives you a way to control the speed of the fight. If things start going bad you can jump off the level to slow things down.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
You could camp on the ledge and force them to approach you. You can ledgehop super missiles to ledge regrab without a jump in between. If they're closer to you, ledge hop charge beam is faster and safer. Finally, ledge hop fair or zair when they're within range. Usually, spam like this will force your opponent to play aggressively so they don't have to deal with your spam. It should be easier to get them offstage this way. This is a rather cheap method, but easiest.

You can pressure your foe to retreat with repeated backwards SH zair. A forward SH zair gives Samus a larger frame, which makes your zair get less reach while closer to the ground. A backwards SH zair makes Samus do a backflip, significantly reducing her size. You can then use this to use a zair closer to the ground while still having maximum range. You don't have to even hit your opponent, just force them to retreat. Sooner or later, they'll get hit and you can land a hit to hopefully get them offstage. This is somewhat like a brick wall.

Top Bottom