• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No fun allowed

Hatchet

Smash Rookie
I practice Melee and PM with my brother, he's one of those people who is basically wont have any fun.

A bit about him, he has no job, lives at home and does nothing, gets up at like 9pm-1am. He begs me to stay up to play but then when I say I'm tired (cos of it being post-midnight) he literally screams no johns, at my loses he belittles but says he wasn't trying when he loses.

He gets upset when I use one of "his" characters and claims I copy him, but when he learns my main he says he plays who he wants. He'll taunt when he takes a stock (even if I SD) but if I taunt then I'm a child.

Sometimes I feel like messing around on other stages and he will end the game if it isn't a comp stage and if pause is off he'll restart the console. I used the big gun easter egg on 20xx and as soon as he saw it he turned off and stopped talking to me.

Does anyone else have a friend like this or have any advice? I don't just want to grind the game out till I hate it, I want to be able to mess around and have fun while also practicing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thankfully no. I stick with playing people that are tourney competitive, so they have a little more self-awareness than that.

I'm not sure how old your brother is, but he needs to mature a little. It's unfortunate that he's ruining your enjoyment in a hobby, but you might have to just try finding other people to play. Just playing with him might end up frustrating you too much, and games should be all about having fun in the first place.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd suggest looking for groups in your area to play with. Back when I played Smash competitively I used to play at locals all the time. It's a great way to meet people and find some folks to practice with who love and respect the game and the people who play it.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My nephews sound like that. To expand on what @ finalark finalark said, Depending on your age,every college I've visited has some sort of casual play club that usually includes smash. You just have to be proactive about finding other people.

Hatchet

Smash Rookie
I went to my first tournament last week and met a few people I'll probably end up playing regularly, but my brother literally begs me play sometimes and it just gets annoying when he acts like this. I cant just ignore him forever.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I went to my first tournament last week and met a few people I'll probably end up playing regularly, but my brother literally begs me play sometimes and it just gets annoying when he acts like this. I cant just ignore him forever.
Then you need to put your foot down and tell him why you refuse to play him. There will always be poor sports. Unfortunately your brother is one.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yeah. I have a friend that acts like this sometimes. He brought his own controller over to my house when we were playing the other day and started blaming the controller. Then, I tried out his controller and it felt fine, so he got mad at the game for "not reading his inputs" and was johning about why Marth was making him lose.

I was also using my secondary (Roy) most of the time while still holding my own against his main, though, so that probably didn't help.He's normally a chill dude and pretty fun to hang out with, but he gets super salty when he picks up any Smash game.

I'm not sure if this will work, but he might learn to suppress his salt in a group of Smashers. I'm trying to organize an event at my house with him and a couple other smash friends, but schedules aren't lining up so it may be a while.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smash is just one of those games that brings out the best and worst in people.

finalark

SNORLAX
He's normally a chill dude and pretty fun to hang out with, but he gets super salty when he picks up any Smash game.
Unfortunately, some people really can't handle competitive games. As someone who has played a few games competitively I can tell you there's always that one guy who hates losing and gets salty at nearly every event.

Some people are just like that. My old roommate was a really cool guy until he lost at any game ever. In my experience the best way to deal with these kinds of players is to just let them vent their furstration for a while.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Just stop playing with him until he starts following the No Johns rule. If he starts blaming the game, controller, etc., just stop playing and tell him you'll play when he starts accepting that they won't win 100% of the time. Let them know that they aren't the GOAT of a game like they might think they are. Honestly, and I hate to say this, your brother sounds like he's being a narcissist about it. Make sure he realizes how he's acting and hopefully things should get better for you two.

On a note of doing more sillier stuff after playing for a bit, having fun and messing around while practicing is always a good way to relive stress over the game. I used to play smash only casually with friends and it was never stressful, but more recently when I've been going competitive stages only/no items/stock with them it's going to get boring &/or stressful for someone. Usually when that starts happening for me I'll just switch characters to someone who I don't play a lot but still find fun.

Banana Fiend

Smash Rookie
I used to, and still sometimes have a problem with getting salty about smash. My solution was to have my friends use a word or phrase or something to let me know when I had gotten too salty, and then I would go take a walk for a few minutes to calm down.

This solution relies on your brother listening to you about no johns, which no one can guarantee, but it might work? Just speaking from personal experience :p best of luck to ya!

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
Smash is just one of those games that brings out the best and worst in people.
It's kinda like Mario Party in that aspect.

I've played with people like that in the past, and I think one of the best ways to combat that kind of attitude is to always play with another person in addition to whoever is causing the problem. I know that's not always viable (especially past midnight), but having a sort of "anchor" friend to keep you sane works wonders. Besides from that, I think walking away after a salty fit may help. If you need an excuse, tell him you're going for drinks or taking a bathroom break.

Hope you find something that helps!

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I really understand the situation. From what it sounds like, your brother will only be satisfied if he gets his way and wins. If you want a normal human player, I suggest Someone that is NOT your brother. Depends on what game you play on.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I really understand the situation. From what it sounds like, your brother will only be satisfied if he gets his way and wins. If you want a normal human player, I suggest Someone that is NOT your brother. Depends on what game you play on.
To expand on this, he will likely not change his attitude so you need to get used to it or find cool people to play with.

Top Bottom