• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Fighting Game Characters in Smash 4

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
Sakurai has recently stated that Smash 4 will not feature characters from fighting games. Sakurai says that “The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here.”

So that means no Tekken characters.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, interesting. Well, doesn't matter much to me as I've never played Street Fighting, Tekken, and the such.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Yeah, thank goodness we won't be getting characters from all those Nintendo beat-em-ups.

Edit: I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting Tekken characters. There has only ever been one Tekken game on a Nintendo console.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, thank goodness we won't be getting characters from all those Nintendo beat-em-ups.

Edit: I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting Tekken characters. There has only ever been one Tekken game on a Nintendo console.

I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of things of people saying they wanted Tekken characters, didn't read the things though. (not on this site, I don't remember where)

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
That article has one of the best random comments ever. You know the one. #BARS

Somewhat disappointing news, but I am taking it. We still have a lot of other possibilities to look forward to.

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
That article has one of the best random comments ever. You know the one. #BARS

Somewhat disappointing news, but I am taking it. We still have a lot of other possibilities to look forward to.
I agree there is still a lot to look forward to. Although I kinda wanted Law from Tekken in the game.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
So no Tekken or Soul Calibur characters. :/ Dang it I was looking forward to seeing Nightmare kick Kirby's butt.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Well, to be honest, it isn't too big of a disappointment for me.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't megaman done in MvC3 though? Or was it only zero?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Also, this leads to another question: does this mean no Little Mac? Because his game isn't a "fighting game" in the traditional sense, so I'm not sure he counts towards this rule or not...

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
[quote="UberMadman, post: 15728013, member: 221t not the third, because Capcom clearly hates Mega Man.[/quote]

It makes me sad to think that capcom's mascot isn't in their biggest crossover.

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
Also, this leads to another question: does this mean no Little Mac? Because his game isn't a "fighting game" in the traditional sense, so I'm not sure he counts towards this rule or not...
Punch Out isn't really much of a fighting game it's more of a rythem and memory game so Mac still has a chance!

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
It makes me sad to think that capcom's mascot isn't in their biggest crossover.
I agree, and we're not the only two, either. That was one of the biggest complaints about Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It almost seems like they intentionally added insult to injury when they added Mega Man X in the Ultimate Edition AS A SKIN FOR ZERO.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isn't Punch Out classified as a Sports game? Either way Punch Out doesn't play like a traditional fighting game, and I think that's where Sakurai has a problem with including fighting game characters. If it's already someone you can fight as in a fighting game, then what's the point of getting that character into Smash Bros? You can't really play as Little Mac in a traditional fighting game, so I don't think this hurts his chances.

Speculator

Smash Ace
The only fighting game character I'd actually care to see in SSB is Sukapon, and I don't think this hurts his chances too much. I think he's referring to fighting game series that are ongoing like Tekken or Soul Calibur, which you can still buy and play as a fighting game using those characters. Joy Mech Fight is only available to people who still own a Famicom or have access to the Japanese eShop, so that doesn't really apply to Sukapon.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Everyone forgets MegaMan was in Marvel vs Capcom 1 :(, dunno why they ditched him for Zero lol.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Source, please?

Also I guess this basically confirms Pac-Man, unless Sakurai pulls another troll-move and adds Lloyd Irving, much to millions of people's chagrin.

Not that I'd be against it...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not an issue since Nintendo doesn't have a fighting game outside of Photo Dojo or Joy Mech Fight.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's good and all, never wanted a Tekken, Soul Calibur or Street Fighter in Smash...
But this better not mean, that Nintendo's own Little Mac is scrapped since he is a fighting game character :O

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I never saw Punch-Out!! as a fighting game (and sometimes never a sports game) despite being a boxing game. I see Punch-Out!! as a puzzle game disguised as a boxing game IMO. And I fail to see Little Mac (and somewhat Sukapon) getting cut just because of this statement as they are A) popular Nintendo characters & B) their games are completely ignored in the fighting game world we live in today.

As for actual fighting game characters, I was pretty sure we were never getting any of them in the first place (especially Street Fighter as I SEVERELY doubt we will get a second Capcom rep.) And, TBH, I didn't want fighting game characters in Smash in the first place (Namco has plenty of iconic characters outside of Tekken & SoulCalibur and I would rather see something with a more original moveset than something taken from another fighter).

If you guys want such a thing, the fan game Super Smash Bros. Crusade does have Ryu, Evil Ryu, & Chun-Li as characters (and they did a great job on them too.)

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
Source, please?

Also I guess this basically confirms Pac-Man, unless Sakurai pulls another troll-move and adds Lloyd Irving, much to millions of people's chagrin.

Not that I'd be against it...
Sorry I wanted to but I couldn't figure out how to attach a article. But if you want to see just go to Shoryuken.com.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Also I guess this basically confirms Pac-Man
I think that's a bit of an extreme stance to take. We might not get a Namco character at all. Even if we do, this hasn't changed anything. Pac-Man was always the top contender, being their mascot and having such a long history.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sweet I like it like this too

So what type of fighting is banned like street fighting if so I was going to ask how pokemon fit but now I do if street fighting type characters are banned

grizby2

Smash Lord
awww , sukapon's chances went a bit lower :|

I guess there won't be any seppuku from yoshimitsu in smash, but its not terrible news I guess. XD

Top Bottom