• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No difference in Melee when I use a crt tv

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
How do I get that beautiful ultra smooth 60fps (where you can see all the movements when getting up from the ledge) that the tournaments have?
I'm using a dark 21'' sears crt (I think) and I'm playing 20xx off of a usb through home brew

I don't know about 20XX nor homebrew, but shouldn't the console run in 60 frames/second by default? Shouldn't most CRT TVs display in 60 frames/second? How do you know you're not playing at that frame rate?

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
(where you can see all the movements when getting up from the ledge) that the tournaments have?
I think you're trying to describe frame data.

I'm not sure if you can go through things frame-by-frame in the current 20XX build. For an alternative though, frame data can be found in in the in the character boards. Just click on the character and the frame data should be a stickied thread.

http://smashboards.com/forums/melee-character-discussion.64/

EDIT:
Or are you talking about streaming? For streaming, you'll need a capture card.

Last edited:

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
Two things:

A CRT shouldn't have an effect on FPS. All it does is reduce the input delay for actions.

Second, if you're using a console you should be getting 60 FPS. I don't know what you could mean by it not being 60 FPS on a console.

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
okay, I know now but still, when you watch those tournaments on 1080p 60fps it looks so smooth though, could it just be the capture card just make it seems like the game is more smooth or something?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
okay, I know now but still, when you watch those tournaments on 1080p 60fps it looks so smooth though, could it just be the capture card just make it seems like the game is more smooth or something?
The game runs at 480p or 480i (and it'll be 480i in most cases since few CRT TVs can display 480p). The footage is just upscaled to a higher resolution for streaming/uploading, maybe with some filters applied; the game isn't being made to output higher-quality video.

60FPS footage (like you see on the higher-quality streams, and occasionally on newer YouTube uploads now that YouTube supports it) looks smoother than the more common 30FPS YouTube footage, and I suppose to some people it could look smoother than the game as it's being played on a CRT TV which is outputting interlaced video.

Try turning on the deflicker setting if you haven't/don't already; maybe that's what making it not look "smooth".

Since you're in Canada I'm assuming you're not running the PAL version of the game, but if you are for some reason then make sure to set it to run at 60Hz and not 50Hz (which looks awful by comparison).

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Like Stride wrote, the core reason is 480i vs 480p. Streamers use 480p, which looks much nicer. So you want to have a monitor that can display 480p60. This chart shows what kinds of monitors do that and what their advantages and disadvantages are:

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
Assuming you were either playing on a digital monitor or on Dolphin emulator, there will usually be a 5ms+ lag time on the inputs you put into the game. On a CRT, you'll get virtually no input lag and it will be much easier to do advanced techniques such as wavedashing and wavelanding resulting in the matches ultimately becoming (in my opinion) faster. Saying that you see no difference either means that you don't do advanced techniques, or you're misunderstanding the terms input lag and 60fps gameplay.

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
Assuming you were either playing on a digital monitor or on Dolphin emulator, there will usually be a 5ms+ lag time on the inputs you put into the game. On a CRT, you'll get virtually no input lag and it will be much easier to do advanced techniques such as wavedashing and wavelanding resulting in the matches ultimately becoming (in my opinion) faster. Saying that you see no difference either means that you don't do advanced techniques, or you're misunderstanding the terms input lag and 60fps gameplay.
Is it really easier to perform advanced techniques, or is it just different? I mean you have exactly the same window of frames in order to do whatever input is required, however you just become accustomed to a different timing. IMO there's really no difference in how easy it is to perform AT's, but there's a huge issue when you are then forced to play on a CRT, because you'll be inputting everything too early and timing for your tech will be way off.

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
I agree, for example if you had been playing on input lag(with Dolphin or a digital monitor) and then you went to a tournament which uses CRTs, then it'll be really hard to adjust to the differences in input lag times. I myself have done this once or twice before I'd picked up a CRT TV, and I've always found it easier to do the advanced techniques as you see the frames coming up(as on a CRT), as opposed to before/after you have seen them with a difference of ~5ms.

Top Bottom