• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No clue what i'm supposed to do in neutral and such.

winrus

Smash Rookie
I will start off by saying I am trying to make a switch to yoshi.
I think he is fun as hell but I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do in real matches.
I have most, if not all of the basic tech down.

The question:
What am i supposed to do vs. the top 8 or so in the neutral game?
What opportunities/ openings am I looking for?
Any other info you can pass along in this area

Thanks!!

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I will start off by saying I am trying to make a switch to yoshi.
I think he is fun as hell but I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do in real matches.
I have most, if not all of the basic tech down.

The question:
What am i supposed to do vs. the top 8 or so in the neutral game?
What opportunities/ openings am I looking for?
Any other info you can pass along in this area

Thanks!!
In a lot of cases your punish game is actually similar to the rest of the cast. If your basic tech includes any knowledge of parry-ing, that would be a very useful tool for the neutral game. Any parried smash attack or lag ariel can be punished with a solid nair or falling upair. I am by no means an expert on the yoshi game, but approaching with Bairs off of platforms and Parry --> Nair seems to be important parts of the neutral game.

Icyo

Smash Ace
In a lot of cases your punish game is actually similar to the rest of the cast. If your basic tech includes any knowledge of parry-ing, that would be a very useful tool for the neutral game. Any parried smash attack or lag ariel can be punished with a solid nair or falling upair. I am by no means an expert on the yoshi game, but approaching with Bairs off of platforms and Parry --> Nair seems to be important parts of the neutral game.
Parry isn't a great tool to rely on in the neutral since it has such a tight timing and you have to get hit first for it to happen.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Parry isn't a great tool to rely on in the neutral since it has such a tight timing and you have to get hit first for it to happen.
I never meant as a tool to rely on, just something to make the uneven matchups a little more do-able, the timing is definitely not too tight to get down in comparison to many technical things in this game.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Dash dance - wait for your opponent to commit by spacing your dash dance correctly

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Wrote this and this recently. Please use the search function before making very specific threads like this. It clutters up the board and makes more general threads harder to find.

Top Bottom